Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgery in 4 days and I need 3 incisions!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in 4 days and I need 3 incisions!!!

Hey Guys,
    Its been a while. I have been trying to get everything ready for this surgery. So I am tripping out a little bit. My rod broke and my lower spine is
    leaning pretty far to the left. So my Dr to be able to repair me is going in from the front,side and back. He is going thru my side first and removing the broken rod and 2 screws. Then he is flipping me over and going thru my back to add another rod to the bottom of my sacrum. Then on
    Thurday is going thru the front to solidify it so it stay's fused. I am so terrified and this is going to be alot of pain. From what I remember from my surgery when I was 15 (Im 31 now) the incision hurt the most and that was only 1!! So 3! I am not looking forward to this. Has anyone been in this situation? My Dr. said this was extremely rare and doesnt happen that often and it is pretty complicated. I just need some comfort from people that really get it. All any of my family members reply to me is "You will be fine." ummmm duh! I dont think I am going to die. I am just so scared right now and want someone to have empathy about the whole situation. I will keep you guys posted how it all is going. Thanks guys! You are
    AWESOME!!!!

empathy

hi,

i haven't had surgery yet (going in a week and half from now) but i'm all about empathy. i feel for you! i wish you successful surgery and a speedy recovery. think positive. we are all rooting for you!
    30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
    08/03/11 - 54 degrees
    06/2004 - 33 degrees
    Don't like hospitals

Comment

thanks you so much. What are you having done?

Comment

Hi Annabeller...

I think techniques have changed a lot since your first surgery, so hopefully, you won't suffer as much. I had revision surgery in Jan 2011, and I have to say that my incisions weren't at all painful. I'm not sure why some people have a lot of pain and others have none, but hope you're on the right side of that equation.

Best of luck.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Anna -

Wow, i'm sorry your surgeon is adding more to the mix, so to speak. We've emailed so you KNOW i totally understand what it is you're going thru. I feel the exact same way - like no one konws or understands just how big and scary this whole situation actually is. I am keeping you in my prayers and hoping for a speedy recovery for you. It won't be easy for us, that we already know, but we can and will get thru it --- i hope just knowing there are a few of us "out there" who know what you're feeling and understand your fears helps in some way. All the best - - - - Michele
          1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
          Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
          Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
          Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
          http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
          http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
          http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
          www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

THanks Michelle. I really appreciate it. I will email as soon as I am coherent. Arent you going in for surgery on the 24th? How are you doing?
            Are you on Facebook? We should be friends so we can I.M while we are recovering. Its easier to talk that way. Let me know and I will email you my full name or you can. I just dropped off my kids and they are staying with their dad for a month. So now I am sad and realizing this is for real and soon! Do you have to wear a back brace after? I do and I dont want to. Darn it. Well let me know how you are doing. I like talking to you and everyone else on here

Comment

Wishing you peace til surgery, and a good recovery afterwards. I'm just a mom of a teen who went thru the surgery last week, but it is nerve-racking til surgery and then a huge relief afterwards. My boy seems to have little discomfort w the incision; it's all about everything in his body returning to where it should be now. Will keep sending positive thoughts your way.
              Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
              Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
              Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
              Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
              photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Hi Anna - Yes, my surgery is just 10 days away (Jan.24 is the first, Jan.31 is the second)...i do have to wear a brace - was just casted for it on Tuesday and i'll have to bring it with me when i go in for surgery - it's more of a front opening corsette-type brace (alot better than my old clam shells!) - not on FB but do use Google+ so we can find each other on there if you want. Email me your contact info - i'll be around all weekend if you want to call or something - whatever you want. I'm doing better than i was this time last week! Not nearly in the stabbing pains of last week. I wish you well and let me know if you need anything!

Comment

Michele,
                  I'm just curious how they fit you for a brace before surgery since your shape will be different? Aren't you going if for the severe lumbar stuff? I know this isn't your thread but I just want you to know I'm thinking about you and hope your pain is better.

Annabeller,
                  I'll be thinking about you, too. My day is coming, I just don't know when or what they will do. Both my curves are thoracic with very little lumbar involvement (except DDD which is unrelated but painful). I really do feel for you gals. Hang in there.
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

rohrer01: i asked the same question. From what i was told, my "shape" wont change much after surgery b/c its not to correct any scoliosis, it's to replace the L4-L5, L5-S1 discs and then to fuse L1 to pelvis...it's to keep things in place afterwards so my shape won't really be any different after than before surgery apparently...unlike my original posterior spinal fusions, which changed my shape b/c they were correcting the curves, this one is more to keep things in place (or atleast that's what i was told!). Hope that helps!
                    Last edited by jerseyot; 01-14-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerseyot View Post
                      rohrer01: i asked the same question. From what i was told, my "shape" wont change much after surgery b/c its not to correct any scoliosis, it's to replace the L4-L5, L5-S1 discs and then to fuse L1 to pelvis...it's to keep things in place afterwards so my shape won't really be any different after than before surgery apparently...unlike my original posterior spinal fusions, which changed my shape b/c they were correcting the curves, this one is more to keep things in place (or atleast that's what i was told!). Hope that helps!
                      Jerseyot, That is exactly what I had done although the brace that I wore home from the surgery was a soft elastic brace. The brace I wore in the hospital prevents you from bending and twisting - it was a hard metal brace. I wish i could have been straightened up a little as I have no waist and my ribs are almost on my pelvic bones. I guess I wasn't flexable enough and bones not quite hard enough to put pressure on the screws.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                      X