Mopping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopping...

Tomorrow is my 1 year check up. I am so excited to see xrays, and to hopefully get the go ahead to ski. I will let you know how it went.

Yesterday was the actual anniversary date, and guess how I spent it? I mopped the entire house. (It is all hardwood.) I haven't been able to mop for probably 10 years. My back would spasm up and the sciatica would be debilitating. I would hurt for days. I can't believe I did the entire house and feel NO PAIN. Aren't the small things amazing????
    Last edited by jeneemohler; 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM.
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Hoping all goes well . I agree with you about mopping. I would so love to clean my home
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Jenee- thinking of you, and hoping your check up went well today, and you can get back to skiing. I am so glad you are feeling so good, and hopeful that I will be there too, at my 1 year anniversary. Congrats to you!
      Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
      T54/L72
      Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
      Gained 2 inches!
      Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
      12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
      Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Mopping? You're thrilled that you can mop now? I hope you're not letting your family members know that otherwise you're committed for life. Funny that you mention that though b/c my left arm has been really sore for the past three weeks now and I swear it's b/c of all the mopping I do at the hotel. It's a small boutique hotel and the floors are tiny but after four years of doing repetitive motion it is beginning to hurt. But in your case, it is nice to be able to clean your own home, lol.
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
          Mopping? You're thrilled that you can mop now? I hope you're not letting your family members know that otherwise you're committed for life. Funny that you mention that though b/c my left arm has been really sore for the past three weeks now and I swear it's b/c of all the mopping I do at the hotel. It's a small boutique hotel and the floors are tiny but after four years of doing repetitive motion it is beginning to hurt. But in your case, it is nice to be able to clean your own home, lol.

How is your son doing?
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Congrats on your first anniversary, Jenee! I'm sure you'll get a good report from your surgeon. I totally understand about the mopping! (Yes really!) Every time I do something I struggled with pre-op, I feel totally pleased and grateful.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
              How is your son doing?
              Hi Melissa, my son is doing great and hasn't complained of any back issues at all so of course I am really happy about that. He is in high school, grade ten and is doing well. Since we live so close to the school, he does come home every day at lunchtime for something to eat and just an sit down. Lunch break is really short but it does give him a chance to get away from all the noise and sit in a comfortable chair for a bit. He's got a brand new cell phone, a touch screen and he loves it. Thanks for asking. :-)
              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

shhhh

In my "belief system ", mopping is forever restricted post surgery!!!! Please don't tell my hubby otherwise!

How was your 1 year appointment, Jenee?...hopefully stellar!
                Kathy
                46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

How was your appointment?

Jenee',
                  I am anxious to hear about your check up. I hope you got the green light to ski. When you get time, we would like to hear from you.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

One year checkup...

My appointment went very well for my one year check up. Hardware looks solid, no movement of the screws, fusion looks great. There are no areas of concern. She was thrilled at how the recovery has gone and how well I have done with it.

And now for the great news...I AM FREE TO GO SKIING!!!!! Of course, I was told to be careful. No more full-speed-barreling-down-the-hill kind of stuff. She is not worried about me actually skiing- just more concerned about others running into me. So as long as I stay away from the crowds, I am good to go. I have to start over, anyway. I will admit that will probably be a little intimidating at first. I think it will take some time to adjust to the new balance of my new body and relearn how to move since I no longer have the upper-lower body separation, as we call it in the ski world. I am excited just to be able to do it, so I am thrilled with even intermediate runs. I am only wondering about getting off the ski lift that very first time.... any advice, Ed??? I should be fine-I am just a little slower to get to standing from a sitting position than I used to be...

I also started my new job this last Monday. This week was training, then I am on my own next Monday. I am brain frazzled, trying to learn all the new procedures and things that need to be done to keep a medical office running smoothly. There is a whole lot to learn if you have no experience in a medical setting. And I do it all....scheduling, billing and insurance, processing blood for labs, ordering supplies, renting out the classroom and taking care of registrations, taking care of the website, newlsetter, FB, etc. We have eight independent practitioners, and there are varying types of assistance that I provide for each one of them. I just have to remember what goes with who! Not all take insurance, due to alternative care limitations, so fortunately some transactions are easier than others. I love the detail orientation of the job and working for an actual owner that you can communicate with, rather than a huge corporation.

I am tired, yet, I am oddly energized, too. I have been stagnant-mentally and physically-for too long. (Ebay and FB know me well...time to step away!) It is my first time working in over a year, I had some long, intense days, and yet I feel great. It feels good to be productive, needed, and appreciated!
                    Jenee'-52
                    Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                    9 hours
                    Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Congratulations!

Hi Jenee,
                      Congratulations on your wonderful 1 yr post op report! I am thrilled that your new job is going well for you too. Now that you have been given the okay to return to the slopes, it sounds like you are back to a more "normal" life! Thanks for sharing.
                      Donna
                      Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                      Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                      Fused T3-L3
                      60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                      Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                      http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Congratulations! I am so happy for you to get the green light for skiing. I am sure you will adjust quicklly. I just came inside from hitting balls off of frozen grass and hit them much better than a few days ago.The new swing is starting to feel pretty smooth ( no doubt not as much distance, but that's ok). I am sure you will love all of the challenges of your new job. Aren't you glad you no longer have to lift 100 pounds? Post a picture of you on your skis after your first outing.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks! I will post if I get one.... Don't expect any movies like the ones Ed posts!!!
                          Jenee'-52
                          Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                          9 hours
                          Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Jenee--
                            Congratulations on your excellent report. You must be thrilled. These one year anniversary folks are on the move--golf, skiing. I was horrible at both before, maybe I'd be better now--no, don't think so! Enjoy! Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

great news on the one year check

So good to hear the great news! As far as skiing goes, we are getting dumped on here in Park City. If you and Ed ever want a place to stay
                              while hitting the Utah slopes you are welcome at my house! My doc told me at my 6 mos. check that I could ski at the end of the season but I
                              will most likely wait until winter of 2013! Good luck at the new job, make sure to eat well and sleep lots-endurance may take a while to return!
                              Nan

Comment

Working...
                              X