Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here.

Hi everyone.

I've been reading this board for a few weeks and decided I would jump in.

After years of back pain my regular Doc ordered and xray and casually said "oh, you have scoliosis" and that was the end of it. I'm told it's very mild, but I don't have measurements. I have 2 curves; one at the lower back, and one between the sholder blades.

I've been in and out of physical therapy for a few years and had one therapist that made a huge difference, but then I moved. I've seen 3 different PTs since I've moved and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Originally posted by EMTB View Post
    Hi everyone.

I've been reading this board for a few weeks and decided I would jump in.

After years of back pain my regular Doc ordered and xray and casually said "oh, you have scoliosis" and that was the end of it. I'm told it's very mild, but I don't have measurements. I have 2 curves; one at the lower back, and one between the sholder blades.

I've been in and out of physical therapy for a few years and had one therapist that made a huge difference, but then I moved. I've seen 3 different PTs since I've moved and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm not sure what else I can do.
    I'm sorry that you're in pain EMTB! I was in chronic pain for four years in my mid to late 20s. It was horrible - very draining and demoralizing. I tried many different movement approaches and treatment methods before finding a Scoliosis Self-Care regimen that works for me. It keeps me out of pain, helps me increase my range of motion, and has gotten my spine straighter. Let me know if you want more info about my approach.
    Lumbar 2003 + 2011 combined.jpg
    Thoracic comparison with lines 1996 and 2011.jpg
    combined front.jpg

I wish you good luck and freedom from pain in 2012!
    Joshua
    Diagnosed with 42 degree thoracolumbar scoliosis in 1996
    1997 - 45 degrees
    2003 - 29 degrees
    2011 - 27 degrees
    http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...osis/front.jpg
    http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...sis/Lumbar.jpg
    http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...s/Thoracic.jpg

Comment

Hi EMTB,

Personally, I'd call and get the x-ray or a copy and go see an orthopedist who deals with the spine and have them give you an accurate measurement of the Cobb angle. I'd want to get the actual measurements so that you can keep an eye on it during your life. You'd want to know if it was progressing. Other doctors including radiologists seem to be quite good at mismeasuring these curves. I'd also want the measurements that your doctor actually measured. If you call, they should be able to give them to you, the measurements should be written on your chart.

One of my daughter's orthopedists insisted that I take the actual x-ray from one of the doctor's practices after I borrowed it to go see him, because he said it was ours and it would end up getting lost or destroyed if we didn't keep it. This was before the new computerized machines were implemented and you could just get disk file copies to take with you. Make sure you keep a copy of all your own records...no one else will be as interested in them as you and perhaps future doctors.

Also, you might want to try pilates or yoga with an instructor who is knowledgeable about scoliosis. There are threads that you can search for in the archives.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X