Trying to locate "my" doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lordswild,
    Please email me and I can go into as much detail as you would like. I would also be happy to talk to you on the phone. My email address is pottoff@htc.net
    I'll look forward to hearing from you.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Has anyone had surgery or seen Drs.Vincent Arlet or Craig Brigham or Bruce Darden? I am not eliminating Dr. Lenke but want to cover my bases...my family is not happy that I am planning to have surgery so far away...

I will appreciate any and all input--thank you

Comment

Originally posted by lordswild View Post
        Has anyone had surgery or seen Drs.Vincent Arlet or Craig Brigham or Bruce Darden? I am not eliminating Dr. Lenke but want to cover my bases...my family is not happy that I am planning to have surgery so far away...

I will appreciate any and all input--thank you
        A little closer to home, Khaled Kebiash at Johns Hopkins has an excellent reputation.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, thank you once again...should I assume that you would choose this doctor over Arlet? Arlet is actually in Virginia...

I first heard of Brigham on the old MIT site from a woman in Charlotte who had had surgery with Chewning and Brigham...

Comment

Linda, thank you once again...should I assume that you would choose this doctor over Arlet? Arlet is actually in Virginia...

I first heard of Brigham on the old MIT site from a woman in Charlotte who had had surgery with Chewning and Brigham...
            Yes, but only because I don't know of any of Artlet's patients.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda (and, certainly, any one else who will contribute...)

I could not find much information on Kebiash and no one else has responded concerning him or Arlet--How can I locate information other than putting his name in the search thing b/c all I get is his JH page and is there any way the people you know would talk to me concerning Kebiash and surgery with him? What about Arlet? How could I locate any one who has had surgery with him? Who did you have your first surgery with? Thanks...

Comment

I will appreciate any and all post surgical survival tips--can I do this living alone? How does one not bend for one year? Is there a brace to make sure the surgery is not damaged? Is there a lifting limit? (After abdominal surgery, I was limited to five pounds.) Thank you.

Comment

I am very, very worried that I will have a problem with air flight such as some super aggressive TSA agent damaging my newly surgered back? How can that be prevented? I will be alone on this journey going and coming...

Comment

Hi...

There are several people on [URL="http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Flatback_Revised/"]THIS/URL] YahooGroups list who have had revision surgery by Dr. Kabaish. I don't know about finding patients of Arlet's, other than doing a Google search and/or asking his office for some referrals.

In response to your other questions, I think you can definitely do it alone, though traveling by plane alone, right after surgery, would definitely be stressful. I live alone, and recovered from surgery without any real difficulty. You don't have to go an entire year without bending. Every doctor has different limitations, but I think most allow at least some amount of bending at 3 months. You'll find that you can do just about anything with the help of a grabber. I think most surgeons put a lifting limit of ~10 pounds, at least for 3 months. Also, many surgeons put patients in postop TLSO braces for 3-6 months.

-Linda

Comment

I am very, very worried that I will have a problem with air flight such as some super aggressive TSA agent damaging my newly surgered back? How can that be prevented? I will be alone on this journey going and coming...
                      You can request special assistance, free of charge, from the airlines. They will treat you very well and very gently.
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                      Surgery 07/11/2011
                      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Thank you, thank you for the advice and correction of "rules"--feeling better. Please keep it coming...

Have neglected to state that somewhere along the line, someone was not correct: my lumbar curve is 70 and my (shock--another one) thoracic curve is 34--I was told one over 80--so alot of good news.

And also last week, Dr. Lenke's office called and told me that I had been accepted. Pre op June 20, 2:00.

Boy, a little pain med and a whole lot of stress will mess your mind up--I jumped a whole step from applying to aftermath--left out the middle...

Comment

Good for you. June 20th will be here before you know it.
                          Stay strong, Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

You were asking about correction. My bending films were not good, and Dr Lenke told me 50%. But it turned he reduced my curves from 80/40 to 16/0(negligible). I think many surgeons say 50% so you won't get your hopes up, but often do better than that.

As far as post-op, Dr Lenke generally does not brace his patients. You may get more rehab and OT if you live alone. Personally, I would beg a friend or family member to stay with me for a few weeks, or I would go to their house. I'm sure it can be done alone, but I think I would have been lonely, scared and depressed. Even a couple weeks of company could make a big difference.

Best wishes to you!
                            Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                            X