Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay Karen. I am so happy for you.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Karen,

That's just the news I wanted to hear! Does this mean you are fully fused--or can they tell without a CT scan?

Anyway, appreciate the positive post and will be keeping you in the back of my mind when I go to St. Louis next month for pre-op.

Cheers,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I don't think they can tell if you are fully fused from looking at an X-ray. I asked if I should wait to play golf and Dr. Lenke said that there I nothing that I could do that would effect the fusion, so I guess I will hit and hope for the best.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Sounds like a great report!! Congratulations!

I can just picture you coming home and trying out your golf swing. I know it isn't easy but take it slow getting back into the game. You've come so far.

I didn't realize about the swiggles on the x-rays. No one told me about that. I am scheduled for a CT scan March 15 when I visit Dr. Rand. It would be nice to do without more radiation, but it would be good to know more about the fusion. I've followed his advice up to now.

Enjoy your trip to Florida and getting back to golf!!

Irene
          1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
          Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
          At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
          advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
          65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
          Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
          Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
          T10-S1 posterior
          Dr. Rand
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
          http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Back to golfing...

Hi Karen, how is the golf game going? I'm coming up on 2 years since my surgery now and golfing whenever I can find the time. It took me quite a bit of time to feel confident to really swing the club, but at this point I hardly think about it. I went to Florida with my wife last week and played 3 out of 4 days we were there and had no issues at all. Give yourself some time and all will be fine. I'll be curious to hear how your game is once you get back into the swing of things (pun intended).

Rich

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
            I don't think they can tell if you are fully fused from looking at an X-ray. I asked if I should wait to play golf and Dr. Lenke said that there I nothing that I could do that would effect the fusion, so I guess I will hit and hope for the best.
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
            A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
            Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
            Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Counting down to golfing in FL-7 days to go!!!

Hi, Rich,
              I have thought about you since I've started taking some swings and wondered how your golf game was last season. I remembered that you didn't feel like you had lost any yardage the first time out even. For the past 3 weeks, I've been hitting a few balls when it's above 40 degrees, and after the first day, which was horrendous, I'm pretty happy about it. I know I'm not hitting the ball nearly as far, but that's to be expected since I'm swinging easy and not getting the club head speed that I normally would have. I'm taking a demo RocketBallz Taylormade 3 wood and driver to FL next week to try out. We're going to be there 2-3 weeks and will start out at a par 3 or executive course to see how it goes. I hit around 60 balls at a heated driving range last week and much to my surprise, my back felt fine later that evening and the next day. I had planned to stop after 40 balls, but got carried away. Thanks for asking.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Karen--
                I'm so happy for you! That sounds like it will be a terrific time for you to get back to your passion. Have a wonderful time. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

COngratulations Karen--it's always great to see those who are ahead of us and have gone their triumphantly!

Best wishes for another great year!
                  Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                  Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                  Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                  Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                  The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                  Before and after xrays:
                  http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Thanks, Janet, and dkjkinkead! You may be the only one on this forum who had spinal fusion surgery during an earthquake! I see that you have your 6 month anniversary soon. Improvements come so gradually that I could never pin point when exactly I noticed them, but I know that it happens.
                    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Your distance will definitely improve the more you play. At this point the only club that I don't hit as far is my driver...granted I've never been a big hitter anyway but I don't seem to be able to get the snap on it I once could. I hit my irons all the same distance as pre-surgery. It's gonna get easier and easier over time, just be patient and you'll be back in the groove in no time.

Let me know how you like the RocketBallz 3 wood, that looks sweet!!

Rich

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                      Hi, Rich,
                      I have thought about you since I've started taking some swings and wondered how your golf game was last season. I remembered that you didn't feel like you had lost any yardage the first time out even. For the past 3 weeks, I've been hitting a few balls when it's above 40 degrees, and after the first day, which was horrendous, I'm pretty happy about it. I know I'm not hitting the ball nearly as far, but that's to be expected since I'm swinging easy and not getting the club head speed that I normally would have. I'm taking a demo RocketBallz Taylormade 3 wood and driver to FL next week to try out. We're going to be there 2-3 weeks and will start out at a par 3 or executive course to see how it goes. I hit around 60 balls at a heated driving range last week and much to my surprise, my back felt fine later that evening and the next day. I had planned to stop after 40 balls, but got carried away. Thanks for asking.
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                      A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                      Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Stumbling blocks on the way to FLorida

I had planned to leave on Feb. 18 for Bradenton, Florida for a 2 week vacation with my husband and two schnauzers. I had a horrible ordeal with the flu on Valentine's Day and blacked out and hit my head on the tub. Other than a bump on my head, I quickly recovered. John got the flu on the 17th and ended up in the hospital as an outpatient to get an IV of fluids five days later. Just when we thought we could leave, my dad went to the hospital. John and dad were both doing well, so we started driving on the 24th. Today, our 14 year old schnauzer has been lethargic and wontvtake more than a couple of steps. We found a vet in Alabama who couldn't find anything wrong and recommended blood work and an ultrasound on Sunday if she isn't better. If anything is seriosly wrong with her, we will probably turn around and go back home. I had hoped to post a golfing picture by now and be walking on the sandy beaches. I also have a rash on my abdomen that looks like shingles. This could be humorous if I wasn't so worried about my dog.
                        Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

See a doctor quickly Karen, to get that rash checked. If it's Shingles, and you get it treated quickly enough, it can be stopped in its tracks. If not, it can go on for weeks, months even. Stress plays a part in Shingles, so, given what you've been through, I would not be surprised if it's Shingles.

I'm so sorry to hear what a rough time you've been having, now your beloved dog. I hope everything improves quickly.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I hope that everything works out for you and I hope your dog feels better
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Oh Karen, I am so sorry for all the sickness and your poor little dog. I hope he is better by now and your rash is better also and you are back on your way to Florida.
                              Sally
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hope things are looking up for you and your poor doggie!
                                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                                X