No announcement yet.

One Year Anniversary Today-Yeah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats Karen! You are absolutely right--this forum has been a God-send in supporting each other. You've been great for those of us who went to surgery after you.

Enjoy the lobster and champaign!!!
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Congratulations!!

Congratulations on your one-year anniversary!! It wasn't easy but you did it!!

You have been an inspiration to me as we were going through the recovery year together. I guess some of my competitive spirit kept me walking further and further, as you were walking further and further.

Here's a toast to you and your husband! I know how important having a loving care-giver is. Here's to a great second year of recovery. I can't wait to see you swing a golf club again (in a video) and I know you will.

I look forward to Dr. Lenke's excellent report. Will you have a CT scan at the visit to check for fusion, or is there any way that he checks for fusion?

Regards, Irene
      1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
      Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
      At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
      advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
      65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
      Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
      Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
      T10-S1 posterior
      Dr. Rand
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
      http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Irene,
        I think we all have a bond on this forum because of our scoliosis, but I feel a special relationship with those who had surgery at approximately the same time as I did. Although most of us have never met, I talk to my friends and family about my "forum friends".
        Dr. Lenke's nurse told me that they will x-ray on the 18th but that they won't do a CT scan. She also said that the CT scan is the only way to know if you are fused and that they just assume that you are fused after a year. I sure wish there was more of a guarantee so that I would feel better about attempting to play golf in a month in FL. I didn't see any of the vertical squiggly lines on the x-rays at 6 months and keep hoping and praying that they'll be there this time. Do the white squiggly lines indicate bone growth, but not necessarily fusion?
        Best of luck to you, as well, with your second year of recovery. Let's keep in touch.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
          Irene,
          I think we all have a bond on this forum because of our scoliosis, but I feel a special relationship with those who had surgery at approximately the same time as I did. Although most of us have never met, I talk to my friends and family about my "forum friends".
          Dr. Lenke's nurse told me that they will x-ray on the 18th but that they won't do a CT scan. She also said that the CT scan is the only way to know if you are fused and that they just assume that you are fused after a year. I sure wish there was more of a guarantee so that I would feel better about attempting to play golf in a month in FL. I didn't see any of the vertical squiggly lines on the x-rays at 6 months and keep hoping and praying that they'll be there this time. Do the white squiggly lines indicate bone growth, but not necessarily fusion?
          Best of luck to you, as well, with your second year of recovery. Let's keep in touch.
          Dr Bederman says that the squiggly lines are fusion.

Good Luck
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Good Report at One Year Check Up

Hi, Forum Friends,
            Dr. Lenke thought my back and x-rays looked good, so I will now plan the celebration. Thanks, again, to all of you for your huge support during the past two years answering all of my presurgery questions during my 13 month wait, as well as my post surgery ones.

Now, I want to start working on my golf game. I went to the park across the street from our house one hour after getting home. I'm not too anxious! Ha! Some hits were decent, but I also had some horrible shanks!!!! Any golfer reading this knows that the shank is the most dreaded hit in golf. I am going to have to give myself a break and have some patience trying to learn to play decent golf, again. I'll try to make it to some heated driving ranges in St. Louis before heading to Florida with my husband at the end of February.

While waiting in Dr. Lenke's office, I saw several people who obviously were in a lot of pain because of their scoliosis. I saw one man who was so bent over that he could hardly see where he was walking. Hopefully, Dr. Lenke will be able to give these people a life. I didn't know until today that part of my crooked spine had fused, which is probably why five osteotomies were needed. I wanted to give Dr. Lenke a big kiss today, but refrained, and gave him a hug instead. It's so nice to be "on the other side"- especially a whole year on the other side. Let's see . . . champagne, cosmos, lobster tail . . . .bring it on!

If anyone is waiting for surgery and has questions they'd like to ask me, feel free to email me at pottoff@htc.net. I certainly don't have all the answers, but would be happy to help in any way that I can.
            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Congratulations!

Hi Karen,
              Just wanted to send a big Hurray! to you for receiving an excellent report. It must be so exciting to get the go ahead to return to your beloved golf game. How wonderful to be able to return to a sense of normalcy. Congrats again!
              Donna
              Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
              Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
              Fused T3-L3
              60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
              Tennis player & returning to the courts!
              http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Congratulations to you Karen! I have been anxiously waiting your post today for results on your visit. That is wonderful news.
                Pam, age 49
                Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                T-3 to sacrum

Comment

That's as good as it gets Karen! Congratulations! It hardly seems a year since you were agonising over ever playing golf again. You must be over the moon.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad to hear that all is well. Have fun relearning how to play golf
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Congratulations on a great report! Shanks or not, had to feel just wonderful to pick up a club again. You'll be back in no time, I'm sure. And thank you so much for your care & concern during Jacob's journey. Helps so much to communicate w people who have been through it, ESP those who have had such a positive experience. What area of FL do you plan to visit?
                      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Karen,

Have a smile on my face (and in my heart) just picturing you in that park swinging those clubs! Excellent, excellent news! Also, loving the mental picture I have of you giving Dr. Lenke a big hug!! These top surgeons are truly amazing people!

Kathy
                        Kathy
                        46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                        71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                        8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                        http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Hi Karen

Hey, great news!

Try not to go too crazy at the driving range......ease into it. Your “golfing” soft tissues will need to be coaxed slowly. Push too hard, and you will awaken them.

Its like a hot sports car. You don’t “twitch it” until you have been around the block a few times.(smiley face)

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks for your nice replies. Also, Ed, I need to not push myself too hard. I appreciate the advice.
                            I hope your neck is improving.
                            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

The neck is ok. The mechanical bull proves that. LOL (Rox’s thread)
                              I’m wondering if I should send that pic to my surgeon? Hmmm......hey, we all need a good laugh sometimes.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Karen--
                                I'm so happy for you and your great 1 year anniversary. So glad you are able to start returning to your passion--golf! Best wishes for your second year. Janet
                                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                                X