No announcement yet.

If ever I had a doubt....it's GONE....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that is what i mentioned...what Ed just wrote..
    that often they say to just wait til "your" doctor gets back to town....
    but agony is agony...
    i understand their caution..i was a social worker in addiction and recovery
    as my second job...
    however, at least helping a patient to make it to their next doctor's appointment!
    we are talking about people with clear indications on their X rays of severe
    spinal conditions that cause pain...and this is a woman who is scheduled for
    surgery!
    what i hated was when you DO get a doc who says to wait, and the trip to the ER was
    a total waste...no relief whatsoever!

a patient with X rays and other tests showing their spinal condition and a drug addict looking
    for recreational drugs are two very different things!

jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 01-07-2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Michele,
      I am just reading this thread for the first time. I am sweating bullets just reading it! I had one like that, well maybe not that bad, I don't know. I rated an 8 only because I had a surgery where I got the paralytic and not the knock-out, so to me NOTHING rates being operated on without anesthesia. With that said, my episode came on very suddenly and I literally passed out from the pain. My husband came in the room and saw me and roused me and I couldn't move. Mine was upper back pain. I didn't know what to do, either, as I couldn't move and was having difficulty breathing. I knew I needed to go to the ER but HOW? My husband practically carried me out to the car which was excruciating. We also have an ER about 2 min from our home, but there is a doc there that can't prescribe narcotics, so didn't want to chance that he would be on call. We had to drive an hour to get to the ER. When I got there, they took one look at me and bypassed all of the other patients. They took my vitals (don't know what they were) and asked me to rate my pain. When I said 8, he said I believe you. Then he told me they are trained to enter 1/2 the rating that the patient actually says! He said he was keeping it an 8. They took me right back and immediately hooked me up to an IV, did some x-rays, and gave me pain meds through the IV. I was already on fentanyl transdermal and percocet orally along with some muscle relaxers, so I didn't know how they would treat me. They gave me 4 doses of intravenous fentanyl until my pain was GONE. They didn't send me home with anything, as I already had stuff at home and just getting the pain gone and under control was enough for my own meds to hold me until I could see my doc, who upped the fentanyl. That was the most terrible episode that I've ever had and they treated me wonderfully. I've had other episodes, but this was by and far the worst.

My advice to you is if this ever happens again, take the ambulance if you can. It will get you in with no waiting. I didn't have that option because I would have ended up at the closer hospital. It doesn't sound like they really even got your pain under control. They really need to knock it OUT for the lesser pain meds to be effective. The pain cycle is something that ER docs should be familiar with. If the pain isn't completely eliminated or controlled to the best of their ability within safety for you, then it just keeps coming. One shot of dilaudid doesn't sound like anything! I really feel horrible for you as it seems you are still struggling with this pain, just on a little lesser scale. If the pain gets out of control like that or even close to that again before Monday, I would certainly go back and tell them that it was never really under control. Just because you can move a little bit doesn't mean your pain is under control. I'm still shivering just thinking about what you went through and are still enduring! (I also have L5/S1 issues, but NOTHING like yours) I certainly hope your surgery date gets pushed up ASAP. Maybe they can do it on an emergency basis since he already knows what he's going to do. Maybe they can give you a shot of epogen to build your blood up faster. My heart really goes out to you. No one knows pain unless they have been there. You can't imagine what you don't know.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Well i chose to go to Cooper because my surgeon is a Cooper doc (who just happened to be away on vacation for the week...figures...) - so YES, this hospital was chosen very deliberately by me for just that reason: so that the ER docs knew exactly where i had been, what doctor(s) i had seen, and what meds had been prescribed thus far. Like i said, there was no beating around the bush...i told them what i took, when i took it and how unbelievably rattled i was by the intesity and unrelenting nature of such pain. I expected alot more than what i got - - i am still struggling with the pain right now - - they never did get rid of it. One shot of dilauded was not enough, but no means, but they almost made me feel as if i should be grateful they even gave it to me...KNOWING I'M SCHEDULED FOR 2 HUGE SURGERIES in just two weeks. That is no way to treat a patient...let alone a spinal patient with very real, very visible images and pain showing exactly what is going on inside and where. Honestly, when i had this happen 6 months ago and went to the ER (for the first time ever!), i was given a shot of dilauded (several of them over the course of 12 hrs until they admitted me until they could get my pain 100% under control)...THAT's what i have to compare this experience to and from a pain control and ER perspective, i definitely got quicker relief and more empathy from docs who had no idea what was going inside of me to the extent that these Cooper ER docs do (as they have all of Dr. Clements notes, images, etc to reference). Just very disappointed. I am praying this experience is not a precursor of how my pain will be controlled (or under-controlled) post op with both surgeries. I think dogs at the pound get better and longer lasting pain relief than i did at the hospital.
        1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
        Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
        Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
        Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
        www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

Can you call the hospital administrator and complain? Tell him/her that you are still in pain? I wonder if you went back if there would be different doctors on duty. Tell them how you were treated and that your pain is NOT under control! I'm furious for you. You have a right to be upset and more.

In my case BOTH hospitals have my x-rays and records as I see docs at both hospitals. There are just certain ER docs that have zero compassion. I had a "good" experience at the local hospital where the doc gave me morphine until the pain was under control. He said it took a LOT. I just didn't want to risk it with the other doc that can't treat pain with anything strong being on duty. It happened once, all I could get was Toradol which did squat. Also there was another particular doc or two that treated me like I was a nothing and said I was having panic attacks and sent me home with unstable blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat. It turns out that I have an arrythmia, not panic. So my trust level went WAY down. Don't get me wrong, I don't frequent ER's, I've only been three times for my back. I went about three times for my heart before a cardiologist figured it out. Only one doc actually treated my heart symptoms (it was the one who can't prescribe the narcotics) he's a good doc that got a bad rap for something... small towns.
          Last edited by rohrer01; 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

I guess I could call the hospital administrator and complain but really what good would that do?? I see my surgeon tomorrow afternoon (my aunt is coming from over an hour away to drive me) - I don't want to come across to him or anyone else as a trouble maker or someone who is hard to deal with. And if I stir the waters about this 2 wks before my surgery, will I get less care because I was stirring the waters by complaining?? I don't know....I just feel stuck between a rock and a hard place and it's starting to wear me down in all aspects: physically, emotionally, ec. Maybe I'd have gotten better pain relief if my surgeon wasn't away on vacation? Maybe not. I just know m still in pain and that attempting to roll over in bed at night wakes me due to the pain...I hold off going to the bathrooms until I really really need to because of the pain...I shouldn't have to live like this and forgive me if I start sounding the "poor me" alarms...that's not my intention...I'm just venting...so thanks for listening....

Comment

where else can scolis vent and be underdstood, although i swear ER experience
              nitemares seem to be universal to so many people!

i understand your unwillingness to complain...you are probably doing the smart
              thing, even though it shouldn't be necessary...
              maybe it is best to try to concentrate on getting to your surgery date
              in one piece, without a total melt down due to pain and frustration, which
              can be a powerful combination for taking down a human!

hope you get all your worries addressed tomorrow at you appointment....
              and that you can get out from under the pain, so you can breathe!

jess

Comment

your baby can read contact number

We have a long-standing policy allowing breastfeeding my baby can read in public areas of our stores A growing baby needs to pass through a number of natural development stages The groups will share the companys goodwill with the public and explain how the business is turning a baby can read problem into a positive These developmental stages ensure the proper growth of an infant or baby

For reading and language skills development, they use flashcards and read books to the children, often beginning when a child is not yet 1 year old Recognize what journalists want to seeMoon himselfThere are many people who believe that young infants and toddlers should be free of the burden of a structured learning environment

YouTube: Post a videoAs a parent, a second set of isle purely get rid of system that a single will yield your kids the advantage She loves to be read to and although she hasnt quite started reading herself very fluently( shes 5), I can tell its only going to be a matter of months before she masters that skill Recognize what journalists want to see

Comment

I was just wondering how your appointment went today. I hope you can expedite the surgery. I'm thinking of you.
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

My appointment went ok - my aunt came from over an hour away to take me to see the surgeon. Unfortunately he can't move my surgery up as there are just too many schedules to rearrange and too many people to coordinate. I was sooooo disappointed but I understand. It will be a long two weeks but two weeks from today it wil all start - he gave me pain meds and Valium to take in the meantime - and yes, he finally gave me enough to get me thru til the surgery date. The problem is with two small kids at home I still can't take them until my husband gets home from work because they just make me woozy and tired. BUT, there is a light at the end of this tunnel and I just have to get thru the next 2 weeks. I can do this.....thanks so much for thinking of me....I wish it was today that everything gets fixed though!!!

Comment

i'm glad you finally got enough meds to carry you thru...
                      must be tough to have to hold off taking them....but at least
                      you will be able to feel better once someone else is with the kids....

hope you get some relief until the surgery....

jess

Comment

Can you have a friend or neighbor come over and sit with you and the kids for at least a little while each day so that you can get at least one daytime dose? How little are your kids? I'm guessing 5 or less since they're not in school. I feel really bad, as I have a three year old grandson that stays with me much of the time and when my back hurts it's difficult taking care of him. I do go ahead and take the pain meds and deal with the woosiness if I HAVE to, but it's usually around nap time and we both take a nap. I can't imagine how I will do if I end up needing surgery soon, as he's 35 lbs and likes to be held AND he has a bad habit of hitting. He slaps or punches me in the face and/or back when he gets mad. That's just gotta stop! I sure hope your kiddos are nicer to you!
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

That would be a dream come true if I had someone who could sit here with me/us while I took a daytime dose but unfortunately it's just not an option - my neighbors kids are in school and some other friends work during the day. My kids are 2-1/2 and 4-1/2 so yes, they're young, they're demanding (!!!) and they're exhausting even for someone who doesn't have back pain! LOL! They're good kids but they're just absolutely exhausting...they go to daycare 3 days a week (b/c up until this whole fiasco started I worked 3 days a week). Adding an extra daycare day sounds easy enough but it's just extra money we just don't want to spend - ill be out of work for 6 months and when I am able to return to work, I don't know in what capacity I'll be able to work - my job is physically demanding (doing patient transfers, bed mobility, wheelchair training, ADL's etc). I just might have to tighten the wallet AFTER next week and see if the kids can each go to daycare one extra day next week. We'll,see.

Comment

I thought of suggesting daycare but some folks are averse to it or can't afford it. I understand how physically and emotionally draining little ones can be. I had three litle ones very close together. I had a 4 yr old a 2 yr old and a baby along with a husband that was completely useless (thankfully I'm not married to him anymore!). I had flare-ups when I was younger and to be honest, I don't know how I made it through. But we do make it, somehow. I have a friend that is a PT, so I also understand how physically demanding your job is. She's healthy, but a small person and works in a nursing home. It's really taking its toll on her. Yours is one of those situations that I wish I could just reach out and help, as I'm fortunately able to stay home.
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

I certainly can sympathize with you and I honestly know how hard it is. I am so glad you have meds until your op, I am so lucky and have a wonderful GP who understands what I am going through and who does everything to help me. This is a wonderful forum and has such understanding people here who are always there with a kind word. Bless you and everything will be fine, so that after the operation you will feel like a new woman.

Thinking of you

Lorraine.
                              Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                              Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Hi ladies and thanks for all of your replies. I'm feeling so-so today. I had my 2-1/2 yr old spend the day with her regular weekday sitter (for when i was working, up until last Thursday) - it's better for her (and me) to have her there playing with the 3 or 4 other little playmates and her sitter is an absolute God-send. She's wonderful really - and with my family so far away she's been a true lifesaver in situations where i had no one to watch the kids. My son (almost 5) is alot more self sufficient and doesn't take as much out of me physically like my daughter does...i know that must sound terrible...send your 2 yr old to her sitters house and keep the 5 yr old home with me today - but it's all about pain and movement - and at this point, the more i move and do the more i hurt (and pay for it dearly at the end of the day). The good thing is that even though i'm not working anymore (and won't be for months), the kids will remain on their regular schedules of daycare (or in my daughters case her babysitter) 3 days a week (MWF) - it will keep their stress level and mine down knowing they'll have some familiarity and routine in their day/week while Mommy recovers. The orthotics vendor is coming this afternoon to cast me for my brace (TLSO) - a "clam shell" - had i known, i would've saved my other two from my '93 and '95 surgeries (hahaha!) - - - 13 days to go....i can do this....

Comment

Working...
                                X