No announcement yet.

If ever I had a doubt....it's GONE....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If ever I had a doubt....it's GONE....

So here I am less than 3 weeks away from surgery. If ever I had a doubt about whether or not I was doing the right thing by undergoing two back to back surgeries and spending two weeks in the hospital, that doubt is long gone.

This morning, after donating my last pint of blood for my upcoming surgeries, I went to work and felt a little twinge in my legs and lower back - nothing alarming or even too painful...I just knew it was there. Well by 9:30 I was having difficulty bending and my low back started to really hurt. I could barely bend down to take the leg rests off of my patients wheelchairs (I work in rehab) and by 10:30 it became visibly noticeable to my coworkers that I was in severe pain. This is the exact course of sudden and intense pain which prompted me to seek out (by seeing 4 orthopedic surgeons) what was going on with my back in June of last year. My L4-L5-S1 discs are herniated and wafer thin - hence the nerve pain like I'm being stabbed with a butcher knife in my low back. By lunch time I was biting my lip and telling myself "don't cry at work, don't cry at work, hold it together!" --- next week was to be my last day (according to MY plan) - seems God has a different plan and as a result my last day was today. I am in excruciating pain...can not move without stabbing pain in my spine - and the thought of feeling like this for another 18 is too much to bear....I don't have enough pain meds to get me thru til the 24th and even after taking them I feel no relief at all. I'm not sure what to do. I can't live with this pain for 2+ weeks.
    1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
    Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
    Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
    Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
    www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Just a little more anecdotal evidence that stress is not good for your health.

Best of luck with the surgery.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi jersey
      you have my total sympathy!
      i don't get stabbing pain too often...usually i live with that awful chronic lumbar
      deep ache...kind that doesn't go away...

just a suggestion...to call your surgeon, tell him you took off work earlier than
      planned for the surgery, but are in too much pain to get your life ready for
      what is to come, and need pain meds to get you thru to your surgery date...
      unless you have an understanding GP who will help you...?
      also, does warm moist heat help you...? a moist heating pad or
      long hot shower....give you any temporary relief?

hope you feel better...
      jess

Comment

jrnyc: THANK YOU!!! THAT is the kind of response i was hoping for, not "anecdotal evidence" - i know EXACTLY why my discs are herniated, and it has nothing to do with stress and everything to do with how my body is aligned (or more appropriately, mal-aligned). So thank you for your support. I did actually call my surgeon (who is in Vegas until Saturday) and all she could say was that she'd leave him a message when he returned to the office. He did give me pain meds but again warned to use them sparingly. And i do! But even after taking some pain meds, i don't feel any better...not even a little bit. I am sitting on my heating pad and alternating with ice but honestly, even the smallest movement or adjustment is just sheer stabbing pain. Oddly enough, when i was at the hospital for all my pre-admission testing yesterday, i felt fine! This was totally out of the blue, which my surgeon said would continue to happen if not corrected. I am going to take a hot shower when my husband comes home but i can barely make it up/down stairs so i'll have to see about that one. I don't know, i'm just in so much pain...Jan.24 can't come soon enough! Thanks again for your kind and supportive reply.

Comment

I don't think that the pain she's enduring is anecdotal, or stress related at all.
          I feel so bad for you that you're in so much pain, and pain meds don't even do a thing for you. Its gotta be horrific for your family to watch you suffer like that.
          I just want to wish you all the luck in the world, and will say a daily prayer for you (even though I'm not religious).
          I hope to meet you some day since I'm a Jersey girl too You need a big hug from someone who understands...
          Hoping that the upcoming 18 days will be pain free, and that it will be a nice rest before your big day.

Comment

Michele

I was prepared to ask you exactly what kind of pain you were having on the phone but I guess that’s not necessary now. You made the right decision to have your revision surgery.....10 level sword stabbing down low is quite the warning. For those that have not been there yet, believe me, you know when you are in serious trouble.

I guess now you have to figure out how to survive till the operation happens. I always suggest hot water, it is the only thing that helps with the sharp nerve stabs. If you can find a hot tub, that would help quite a bit.....After my surgeries, I set my water at 106 degrees and checked it with a thermometer. Drink plenty of water if you do this as you lose quite a bit of fluids soaking.

Your going to have to take it real easy for now. Once things get that inflamed, its so hard to maintain.
            Been there done that. A few times actually! You could also try a massage. They work better after boiling in a hot tub.

Remember that if things get to be completely out of control, go to the hospital and get a shot. They can knock you out for a break.

Hang in there
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

you are most welcome, but you don't need to thank me...
              i clearly remember you saying you were told to "use them sparingly"
              i hated that comment when i read it...
              it sounds so cruel...like you might just toss them down for fun!

there is much written on this forum of surgeons who don't like to prescribe pain meds,
              and pain management doctors who are usually less restrictive about it...and less paranoid...
              what's worse, surgeons want their patients to "cut back" on pain meds prior to
              surgery...they are always saying the patient won't respond well to pain meds
              after surgery if they have been taking them before surgery....
              what is so crazy is...how do they think any patient even makes it to surgery
              without trying pain meds first, and needing them to get to their surgery dates....?!

i hope something gives you relief, jersey...really...
              too bad you don't know what fluke had you feeling better at pre op...
              then you could make it happen again...
              if only there was an understanding GP you could call...
              maybe when your surgeon gets back, you can give him a number....
              how many minimum of pills you need to get to the 24th?
              i hope so!!!

with best wishes...
              jess

Comment

Ed: you know the pain I'm describing then...the "stop you in you tracks can't make the slightest movement without excruciating back-stabbing can't take this intense unrelenting pain one more minute kind of pain" It has absolutely paralyzed me, the pain is so intense. I'm in tears with how bad this hurts - and my legs feel numb and with shooting pains which is a new symptom. I am seriously considering going to the ER it is THAT bad. But the thought of sitting or standing for god knows how long in the ER doesn't sound even remotely bare able so for now I'm holding off. No hot tub unfortunately and hot showers just don't give the relief I'm looking for. God only knows how I will make it til Jan24???

Jess: I agree the "use them sparingly" thing makes you feel like a drug addict...when in fact that couldn't be further from the truth. It was like pulling teeth to get him to write Rx for Vicodin. So we will see what happens.

Comment

Can you ring an ambulance? In Australia, if you ring the ambulance you're taken straight through to get attention, no queue, plus the ambo can give you pain killers on the way. It doesn't sound like you're in any condition to queue for attention, surely nobody could expect that. Thinking of you and hoping this pain eases up for you, one way or another.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I didn't mean to make it seem that you didn't have something physically wrong. Stress can cause muscle tightness which can lead to physical changes. Maybe the stress of surgery had nothing to do with it, but it's so common that people start having much worse pain right before surgery.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It's 3:05am as it lay here completely incapacitated and paralyzed with excruciating pain. I am seriously contemplating a trip to the ER for some pain relief. Nothing is working and the pain is unbearable. I can't escape it and when I tried to sit up or semi recline I threw up - got the cold clammy sweats white as a ghost heart pounding and racing and nauseous - like I said, this pain is just too much. I'm a tough cookie when it comes to pain... But this has me falling to my knees collapsing in pain. I know the ER can't do anything to fix me but maybe at the very least something for pain??? IDK....I can't take this....and I don't know what to do....

Comment

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear of your severe pain. Please go to the ER or urgent care--pain so extreme that you are throwing up or almost passing out from it needs to be treated urgently. You deserve some relief and your body needs it. There also may be other meds that can be added to your pain meds, such as muscle relaxers that might add some relief. You need to try and rest your body and mind before surgery, not go in with your pain receptors all on fire. I am sure your surgeon's office staff failed to grasp the severity of your pain, which is why they told you to use the meds sparingly. At this pint you need some very good pain control.

Please let us know how you are doing.
                        Gayle, age 50
                        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

This is awful. I remember episodes of such intense pain that it literally brought me to my knees and I couldn't get up. But at least they were temporary--not continuous--and I could find a position that at least helped it subside eventually. I can't imagine--maybe another call to your surgeon. That seem unforgivable to leave you in such pain. I hope you get some help today. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

If you cannot reach your surgeon today and get pain relief then I think you should head over to the E/R and let them help you.
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by jerseyot View Post
                              It's 3:05am as it lay here completely incapacitated and paralyzed with excruciating pain. I am seriously contemplating a trip to the ER for some pain relief. Nothing is working and the pain is unbearable. I can't escape it and when I tried to sit up or semi recline I threw up - got the cold clammy sweats white as a ghost heart pounding and racing and nauseous - like I said, this pain is just too much. I'm a tough cookie when it comes to pain... But this has me falling to my knees collapsing in pain. I know the ER can't do anything to fix me but maybe at the very least something for pain??? IDK....I can't take this....and I don't know what to do....
                              Jerseyot,
                              I am so sorry for your pain. I hope you went to the ER via ambulance. I had to do just that one night when I was in excruciating pain in my back. I couldn't get off my bed to go to the bathroom, so I knew it was time to call the ambulance.

You may have a couple of things happening to you to cause this horrible storm of pain and clammy sweats and vomiting. You said you had just donated blood. You could have had a delayed reaction to donating even if you never had a reaction before. That can cause all of the symptoms of heart pounding and racing and nauseousness. You also said you bent over to release brakes on a wheelchair. If you twisted even slightly as you got up, you could easily pinch a nerve in your spine.

I hope you are feeling a little better by now and that you can get your Doctor to give you the pain meds you need to get you to surgery.

Sally
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                              X