No announcement yet.

Brace struggles suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it isn't completely wishful thinking to hope a 41* curve won't need surgery. There are a few folks on this group who got to the 50* range and hung there, in one case for a few decades. And that was without brace compliance. But I don't know how common that is. And that woman had fusion anyway at 39 for pain, not progression. It seems that simply have a large curve sometimes compromises the rest of the spine over time even with no progression.

Where is your daughter's curve? There are some reports that the lumbar can become structural under an unfused thoracic curve. That would be a huge concern for me if my kid only had a thoracic structural curve to begin with. Essentially, you could go from a selective T fusion to needing most of the spine fused. While a T fusion hardly affects range of motion, a lumber fusion certainly does. You might want to ask your surgeon about the likelihood of this. Ask him about "collapsing spines." I have posted a few blogs posts from a surgeon about this situation. He refers to fusion in these situations as "a stitch in time saves nine."

Actually you should never take anything we lay folks say as correct for your daughter. Only your surgeon knows the answer to what is correct for her. We are just suggesting things for you to ask him if you so desire. Knowing what to ask is always a huge hole for most parents.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
    X