Neck problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ed,
    I really hate hearing this. It sometimes seems like scoli-bodies are easier to map starting with the spots that do NOT hurt.

I have neck issues and am not fused. One of my fears is that the surgery will send the neck issues further down the road, but who knows anyway how the cervical problems would progress, with or without surgery? I have had tons of PT and it does help me, but it often takes awhile. I had my first cervical steroid shot a couple weeks ago, and I was dancing around the living room the next day singing Christmas carols. It's not as great as that every day, and I'm thinking that you are somewhat opposed to those treatments for yourself, but it might be a way to buy a little time to enjoy life for a spell. For me, the kicker is often how much sleep disturbance I'm having. I've had episodic spasms, pain, the head-holdin up problem, and they come and go. I get the migrainey headaches and light dances, and they come and go. I had a little work incident in September and am a workers comp case for awhile and their protocol was for me to get the shot, and I finally did it when I had these bizarre all night episodes where my wrist would seize up, wake me up, and when I would straighten it I would hear a large crack. It went on for many nights and I was becoming a very Scroogelike woman. The wrist and electric arm/shoulder thing are better. Now I intend to just kick it at physical therapy. What do I have to lose?

Anyway, I hope you do see your surgeon, even if it subsides. It's nice to know what exact little drama is going on in there. My MRI showed lots of spurs and disc yadayada but nothing horrifying, despite the disturbing symptoms.

I feel for you!!
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Comment

Hi Ed,

Bummer! I'm sorry you are having problems. I like to think of you as the poster child for successful back surgery! I know it's not your fusion you're having problems with, but still...

I, too, have neck problems, though I am not fused yet. The back of my neck is always sore. When I do something that requires looking down for any length of time (like typing on my laptop-ha!), it will be even more sore later. Cracks are an all-the-time experience. I have tried to do range-of-motion exercises since I read that Linda did them a few months ago, and I think it helps keep things from getting worse. I have also stopped sleeping with a pillow, because that seems to make things worse. Often times, the neck problems seem to go right into my jaw, and I get cracking there, too, and pains up the right side of my face.

I asked Dr. Lenke about this, because I want to avoid the problems getting worse with fusion. I had a cervical MRI, which he said looked pretty good, actually. He hypothesized that the discomfort is caused by uneven muscle strain from my back curvature. He said surgery "might" help by making things more balanced. I expressed concern about junctional kyphosis creating more neck problems, and he said that's why they plan to fuse me to T3 or T4, so there isn't much space left for kyphosis (or that was my understanding).

I have also found shoulder and neck massage to give some temporary relief.

I hope you find solutions that hopefully do not require surgery. If so, pass them along!

Best wishes,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Oh no Ed, I am sorry you've been having these problems. I hope it clears up soon!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

The pain is gone, but I cant turn my head to the right. Guess I will start racing NASCAR. Specialize in left turns only. Ha ha

Thanks for the support, the shots seem to make the most sense if this doesn’t clear up. I am doing rotational stretches very slowly for now.

Stiff is one thing, but when the nerves start hitting it becomes desperate. I’m used to it now I guess. Once again, the back is great!

Neck studies would be of value, not for just scolis, but everyone. Our design is so complicated.....

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

i worry that this happend to you at the four year mark, at least, it looks like
            4 years in your signature...
            is there something in the fusions that adds weight or pressure to the neck that
            starts to show after years....
            this is what worries me...no "long term studies" of newer rods...
            not the folks who had Harrington 20 years ago, but the ones within the last
            10 years...WHAT are the long term effects of fusion on the rest of the body....?

that said, i hope you feel better and better everyday...
            what does the head turning mean to skiing...?
            being a cold weather hater, i know nothing of outdoor winter sports..
            brrrrrr...but i want you to be able to continue to ski...for whatever crazy
            reason anyone wants to go head first down a freezing mountain....
            i sense it brings you great joy....

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
              i worry that this happend to you at the four year mark, at least, it looks like
              4 years in your signature...
              is there something in the fusions that adds weight or pressure to the neck that
              starts to show after years....
              this is what worries me...no "long term studies" of newer rods...
              not the folks who had Harrington 20 years ago, but the ones within the last
              10 years...WHAT are the long term effects of fusion on the rest of the body....?

that said, i hope you feel better and better everyday...
              what does the head turning mean to skiing...?
              being a cold weather hater, i know nothing of outdoor winter sports..
              brrrrrr...but i want you to be able to continue to ski...for whatever crazy
              reason anyone wants to go head first down a freezing mountain....
              i sense it brings you great joy....

jess
              I am with Jess regarding outdoor sports but it does seem to bring you great joy so I want you to be able to continue doing what it is that you love

What do you do for your job? Could that be involved with your neck?
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi TiEd, like everyone- I am sorry to hear about your neck pain, and spasms along the back- you know I just had my C spine fused, in Nov, I had daily neck and shoulder pain, torticollis, especially with weather changes. But I DID have Cspine Abnormalities on Xray- unlike you.
                I'm feeling much better now- just a dull neckache, praise God. But I know what you're feeling, and I sympathize. I'm glad the chiro made it a little better, here's hoping you see great improvement soon! xxx jamie in texas
                57 years old.
                thoracic curve 68 degrees
                lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Jess

You are right! At the end of this month I will be 4 years out. With the neck, stress like Linda has said plays a big part, sleeping wrong also a huge factor, or simply twisting can trigger loud pops every once in a while. Many non-scolis have neck problems, I don’t think it’s a factor on your decision making. My fusion ends at T2, my neck issues are higher up.

I am reviewing contracts for Curtiss Wright.....Jet engine components to be exact. There is a little stress involved in that, the financials are significant. Can I blame them? No, I don’t blame anyone.....(smiley face) these things happen.

The lack of snow isn’t helping any. We have no natural snow, last year at this time we were running a 30 foot base. Someone needs to turn the switch back on. We just had the least Dec snow for the whole US in 47 years.

On your bending question with the knees, you can do a single knee bend with one hand on a counter top. So, left hand on counter top, bend right knee, move left leg back till left knee touches floor. Since you sit, your knees don’t pass the 90 degree mark. This should work for you. You might practice. This is easier than a squat using both legs.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

well, i am glad to hear it is not caused by your work...
                    you wouldn't need to be searching for a new line of work on top of everything
                    else! i really hope it resolves with no surgical intervention needed!

i noticed the lack of snow nationwide....
                    i hope you guys out there get all the snow you wished for at Christmas,
                    and please, keep it from getting anywhere near the east coast!
                    we had our fill last winter...
                    & then the quota was filled with the foot of snow we got back on
                    October 30th, 2011

thanks for the knee advice...i tried it...i felt awkward, but it
                    probably takes practice, as you said...
                    both knees are rotten, but left is worse than right...
                    isn't getting older fun...?
                    but i forgot, according to your signature, you are getting younger!

feel better soon...
                    jess

Comment

BOO!!!! Where is the "dislike" button???

I hope you get to feeling better ASAP, it snows like a son of a gun, and you get out to play!!!
                      My 1 year appt is next Thursday, and I am on pins and needles, waiting for the go ahead to ski...

Bring it on!!!
                      Jenee'-52
                      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                      9 hours
                      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                      Non-fusion
                      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

ed i'm really sorry about your neck
                        Kara
                        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                        T4-L2
                        Before 50T
                        After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                          Guys

I’m having neck problems. Stiff neck actually, one of the most stubborn with spasms running down my fusion mass. The spasms are not as bad since being fused holds the vert in position. I’m having trouble holding my head up, and its affecting my reading vision along with eye twitching since last Feb. My eye surgeon says dry eye, and they are dry, but I think its more than that. My neck has no scoliosis in it, it actually looks great to the layman.....I don’t know if I have bone spurs in my neck, but I will give it a few more days, before I see my surgeon.....

Ed
                          Sorry, Ed. I'm sad to hear that this problem has happened to you. It sounds a lot like what I live with on a daily basis... dry eye diagnosis and all. Well, I don't have trouble holding my head up, but it hurts all the time. My neck checked out with a very, very mild bone spur. I get terrible headaches, too. My neuro thinks it is because of the high and tight scoli, but I don't know. One doc's guess is as good as another for me anymore. It's a guessing game with mine. I sure hope they figure out what is causing your problems and I hope it's not too serious. Do you need reading glasses or wear bifocals? I know when my neck hurts really bad I have a hard time reading. I recently got bifocals and I'm not straining so much to read and it actually hurts less in my neck. I think I was tightening up because I couldn't see. I would go with your gut feeling and make sure to tell your doc ALL of your symptoms. I know how aweful neck pain is. I ran out of pain meds and woke up crying the other day. You truly have my sincerest sympathy and empathy. Please let us know what they find. I hope you can get it fixed and feel better soon! Are you going to see the same guy that fixed your back? I think I remember you saying that he specializes in neck pain. Take Care.
                          Be happy!
                          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

Its improving at a slow rate, I will take it. I’m doing the rotational exercises that Linda mentioned and its helping. So much for racing NASCAR....LOL

I have readers, and progressives. The progressives are at work, and have an acute sweet spot....I don’t care for them as much. My readers are on my dashboard in my car next to my $8 sunglasses. lol

My vision is fine today....funny how it relates to the neck. I don’t get headaches, and the dizzy’s stopped about 3 months after I terminated my meds.

Yes, my surgeon went through a scoli and neck fellowship at Twin. He did 19 years of schooling and training. I knew about TCSC, and SRS, and felt that his stats were credible. You think about what has happened there over the years, many of the best surgeons in the scoliosis arena have spent time there at some point.

Jenee
                            Gosh darn Jenee! You ARE ready! Careful with bending and putting your ski boots on.....that’s a science.
                            Your emoticons are not showing.....am I running too much security? Hmmm......I’m using Kaspersky.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Emoticons haven't shown up on my computer since I came back to the forum after my "break" for a little while.
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                                Emoticons haven't shown up on my computer since I came back to the forum after my "break" for a little while.
                                Me either (only on this forum.)

Ed--I'm using Kaspersky too, I wonder if that has somehting to do with it.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                                X