No announcement yet.

The "Bear Claw"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donna-I'm sending you a PM. I'm sure everyone would love to see a video of you playing tennis post-op.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Dear Bear Claw Friends,

I wonder if everyone (at least adults) gets this to some extent, but maybe people who were in a lot of pre-op pain don't notice it as much because it's not as bad by comparison? Or maybe some people's meds mask it long enough that it's never really an issue? Anyway, I'm glad to see this is a "normal" feeling, at least for some of us. And with any luck it will eventually go away for all of us!

Best,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
        Dear Bear Claw Friends,

I wonder if everyone (at least adults) gets this to some extent, but maybe people who were in a lot of pre-op pain don't notice it as much because it's not as bad by comparison? Or maybe some people's meds mask it long enough that it's never really an issue? Anyway, I'm glad to see this is a "normal" feeling, at least for some of us. And with any luck it will eventually go away for all of us!

Best,
        Evelyn
        I had dreadful pain post op especially around my 'hump' so I feel like I've replaced one pain with another.
        I'm also on Dihydrocodiene and Pregabalin still for pain.
        This pain is with me when I lie in bed, as soon as I get up and with my daily activities, I will be very surprised if its not either the screws or all of my metalwork which needs removing.
        Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Bluestone--
          I'm sorry you are still experiencing so much pain. I hope you can find some relief. Did the thorcoplasty (I forgot your word for it right now) reduce the size of your rib hump? But now you have a lot of pain at that point? Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Janet,

During my costoplasty I had 8 ribs cut away and the result of that has been dramatic-my hump has gone and for that I am truly grateful

I do have pain in that area but the protruding screws are near there too so it's difficult to say exactly where the pain is. Today I've had lots of sharp pains around the screws so it's making me more convinced that they could be the cause of my problems.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
              Hi Janet,

During my costoplasty I had 8 ribs cut away and the result of that has been dramatic-my hump has gone and for that I am truly grateful

I do have pain in that area but the protruding screws are near there too so it's difficult to say exactly where the pain is. Today I've had lots of sharp pains around the screws so it's making me more convinced that they could be the cause of my problems.
              Hi bluestone,

I am so sorry about your pain and hope it will go away eventually. What did your doctor say about it?
              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                Hi bluestone,

I am so sorry about your pain and hope it will go away eventually. What did your doctor say about it?
                The last time I saw my consultant was when I was 1yr post op. he didn't seem surprised that the protruding screws were causing me discomfort and said if it is the same when I'm 2yrs post op he can remove them. He also said that if I'm still getting a pressure pain in the middle of my back he can remove all the metalwork. He said its unfortunate that I don't have any fat on my back
                However he stressed that he will do neither until I am 2yrs pot op because the screws that are the problem are right where the apex of my curve was and he doesn't want me to loose correction.

I do wonder if he used bigger screws there-do they do that? Use different size screws?

Comment

Hi Bluestone,

I'm sorry you're still in so much pain!! I have heard recovery from costoplasties can take a long time. I hope that's what's happening, and that you will eventually feel relief!

Best,
                  Evelyn
                  age 48
                  80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                  Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                  Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                  Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                  X