The "Bear Claw"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lori and Donna,

The three of us are pretty close in surgery dates. For me being active helps a lot, too. I refuse to take anything for the nerve pain. It does seem to get better as time goes by but very gradually.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
      Bluestone-
      I am confused, your signature says your surgery was 3/11/10. Did you have another one in Nov.? I hear what you are saying about exercise. I tend to want to be sitting or lying down to relieve the pressure, but do find if I don't force myself to do some form of exercise daily, I tighten up even more. It is also definitly affected by storm systems moving in, some times for days in advance.
      Sorry, here in England thats how we write our date-we put the date, then the month, you do it the other way around?

Yes I also tighten up even more if I dont do some kind of activity during the day but whatever I do I always end up having to lie down.
      I cleaned the house today and was in so much pain with the pressure when I lay down my chest was so tight I could hardly breathe, I was actually close to tears.Im wondering if its really bad muscle spasm?
      Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Bluestone,
        I am sorry to hear you are having such a bad day. I know how discouraging that is.
        Yes, we put the month first, then the day. No wonder I was confused!
        It sounds like it could be muscle spasms. Do you have any muscle relaxants? I never found they helped me, but some people get relief from them. The only thing that even helps a little is the gabapentin.
        I just made an appointment to start aquatic therapy. Several people I have spoken to said that it helped them. Its worth a try!
        Hope you feel better soon.
        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
        T54/L72
        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
        Gained 2 inches!
        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Tightness

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
          Sorry, here in England thats how we write our date-we put the date, then the month, you do it the other way around?

Yes I also tighten up even more if I dont do some kind of activity during the day but whatever I do I always end up having to lie down.
          I cleaned the house today and was in so much pain with the pressure when I lay down my chest was so tight I could hardly breathe, I was actually close to tears.Im wondering if its really bad muscle spasm?
          Have you had any physical therapy? I found the exercises and stretches I learned there helped a lot as well.
          50 years old!!!!!
          Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

I have had 5 sessions of hydrotherapy but due to some protruding screws becoming aggrevated with movement I felt like it made me have more pain so I left it for a while until things settled down.
            I have been offered more hydro but this pressure feels so deep in my body that im reluctant to exercise apart from walking.

Im going to have a talk with my physio next week to see if its worth just pushing through this pain-its so hard to know what to do because sometimes I feel like something is wrong.

Comment

It sounds like you definitely have more going on than is normal. My tightness, although annoying, is not much more than simply annoying.
              Please let me know what your physio says.
              50 years old!!!!!
              Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Bluestone,
                I am sorry to hear you are having such a bad day. I know how discouraging that is.
                It sounds like it could be muscle spasms. Do you have any muscle relaxants? I never found they helped me, but some people get relief from them. The only thing that even helps a little is the gabapentin.
                I just made an appointment to start aquatic therapy. Several people I have spoken to said that it helped them. Its worth a try!

Sorry I missed your question!

I was taking Diazepam in the early days after my surgery-I dont know whether they helped much or not.
                Ive recently been given it again but apparantly need to take 2mg three times a day but im reluctant as you can get very dependent on them.Im also taking Pregabalin and Dhydrocodiene.

Comment

Hi to all my fellow "Bear Trap" sufferers

I just wanted to check in with everyone, and see how you are doing with the tightness issue. Mine continues to be there constantly, in varying degrees. I have had a month of aquatic therapy now, and although it feels good while doing it, it doesn't seem to have a lasting effect. My P.T. is also doing kineseo taping, which some times seems to help. Have any of you found relief, and if so, what do you feel helped? I really hope you are all feeling better!
                  Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                  T54/L72
                  Gained 2 inches!
                  Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                  Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Bear Trap

Hi!
                    My tightness has improved tremendously over the past 4-6 weeks. I think it's a combination if things just settling down and the weight lifting that I am back to doing three times a week. I'm doing some exercises the PT gave me and doing the weights I used to do. My back gets tight while I am doing the exercises but after, things are nice and limber and I feel great.
                    50 years old!!!!!
                    Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Bear trap

Hi!

I do feel that I am stronger than two months ago. I had to stop using the exercise bands because they just created too many spasms in the shoulder blade areas. Instead, I have been doing various arm raises/ movements with soup cans serving as my hand weights. I am also doing a lot of exercises like leg raises (one leg at a time while in bed) and half squats as I am trying to strengthen the lumbar area below the fused levels. I still rely on multiple hot showers, moist heating pad, and various topical creams.

I am trying to work more hours, but by midday and again at late afternoon, I have to resort to lying flat in bed to get relief from spasms and an aching, tired back. Lori, does the kinesio taping help your upper back? I saw a YouTube video about SpiderTech Upper Back/Postural Precut Tape made by Theratape. Do you know what technique is used?

I did get a glimpse of heaven one time this week when I had gotten up in the middle of the night and my back felt “normal”. So something is working!!! Plus, warmer weather is helpful. In the meantime, I just follow the lyrics of one of my favorite songs, “Press On”.

Great to keep track of each other’s progress!
                      Donna
                      Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                      Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                      Fused T3-L3
                      60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                      Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                      http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Bluestone,
                        Hi Lori, I am scheduled with Dr. Boachie in May. How are you doing today? glad you had the surgery? Are you painfree 8 months later?

Comment

Marina- That is terrific that you are feeling so much better! I am trying to do regular weight lifting too now, but my tolerance is pretty low. What size weights are you using?

Donna- I stopped using the resistance bands too, and switched to light free weights. The bands really caused the nerve pain to flare up. Yes, the kineseo tape does help the upper back. I know the technique is called fascia release, but there are all sorts of configurations they use. It is kind of trial and error. My therapist is actually certified in kineseo taping. Its hard to do yourself, but I did teach my daughter how to do it. If you could have a few sessions with a PT to learn how to do it, that would be good. It certainly isn't a miracle cure, but I will take any little bit of relief I can get!

Rockycarm- The pain I had pre-op is completely gone. What I have now is a constant, intense tightness and pressure sensation, and some burning nerve pain. When I asked Dr. Boachie about the tightness, he said some people never get it, and some have it indefinitly. Good Luck with your surgery!
                          Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                          T54/L72
                          Gained 2 inches!
                          Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                          Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Marina- That is terrific that you are feeling so much better! I am trying to do regular weight lifting too now, but my tolerance is pretty low. What size weights are you using?

Donna- I stopped using the resistance bands too, and switched to light free weights. The bands really caused the nerve pain to flare up. Yes, the kineseo tape does help the upper back. I know the technique is called fascia release, but there are all sorts of configurations they use. It is kind of trial and error. My therapist is actually certified in kineseo taping. Its hard to do yourself, but I did teach my daughter how to do it. If you could have a few sessions with a PT to learn how to do it, that would be good. It certainly isn't a miracle cure, but I will take any little bit of relief I can get!

Rockycarm- The pain I had pre-op is completely gone. What I have now is a constant, intense tightness and pressure sensation, and some burning nerve pain. When I asked Dr. Boachie about the tightness, he said some people never get it, and some have it indefinitly. Good Luck with your surgery!

I also still have the constant pressure sensation-the tightness gets worse the longer im on my feet.
                            I still feel like the protruding screws I have are a real issue because they are in the middle of my back where all my discomfort is.I have an appt to see my surgeon about this at the end of the month.I think if he suggests removing the screws I will go with i because I cant stand the feeling in the middle of my back and its controlling what I do on a daily basis.

Comment

I haven't been back to the pool in quite a while and haven't had the "bear claw." I will go back to the pool exercises but be very careful. At least, I know the aches resolve. All of these aches and pains are scary because I never know if it is something that will resolve or not. Luckily, all the aches and pains have resolved after a while. However, there is always another thing that comes up that needs resolution.

I guess the longer I am post-op (15 months now), the more confidence I am getting that the aches or pains are temporary. Hopefully, that will continue to be so.

Irene
                              1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
                              Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
                              At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
                              advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
                              65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
                              Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
                              Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
                              T10-S1 posterior
                              Dr. Rand
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
                              http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Bluestone- I really can identify with what you said about the tightness controlling what you do on a daily basis. I feel the same way. Please let us know what your surgeon says.

Irene- I am glad to hear you are feeling better. I keep hoping that my issues are temporary also.
                                Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                                T54/L72
                                Gained 2 inches!
                                Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                                Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Working...
                                X