No announcement yet.

The "Bear Claw"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't get to see my surgeon but the registrar I saw was great and he explained about how the muscles are peeled back during surgery and that some people feel this 'pressure' more than others. He's pretty sure that in time it will gradually fade away.

I'm taking an extra 100mg of Pregabalin so that's now 300mg a day. The feeling has eased so I don't know if it's the extra Pregabalin or maybe it's eased anyway, I guess when I try to cut down again I will find out.
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

Bluestone,
      I am really happy to hear you are feeling some relief. I still have the constant tightness/pressure. I was taking 300mg of gabapentin for a while, and it seemed to help initially, then stopped. But, the fact that you are starting to feel better gives me hope. Thanks for sharing your great news!
      Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
      T54/L72
      Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
      Gained 2 inches!
      Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
      12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
      Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Tightness

I must say that my muscle tightness is getting less and less as time goes by. I have been doing a lot of weight training (back to what I did pre-surgery) and although right after, my muscles are super tight, after a while they really loosen up. I now believe that it will go away completely someday.
        50 years old!!!!!
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
        Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
        Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
        Surgery 07/11/2011
        Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Good news

Hi bluestone,

Thank you for posting your update. I am glad that you are getting some relief. Like Lori, the comment about eventually fading away is promising. I still have some ongoing tightness, but I am hoping that staying active through arm and shoulder movements will help to diminish it.
          Donna
          Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
          Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
          Fused T3-L3
          60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
          Tennis player & returning to the courts!
          http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Well I feel like I'm back to square one, difference is instead of the 'bear claw' I've got what feels like a bear 'digging' I'm so sick of my back again and feel as if this pain will never end.

I'm trying to be active, I walk plenty but it doesn't improve.
            I'm waiting to try some physio again and I'm arranging to see my surgeon.
            The fear of my metalwork needing to be removed just doesn't go away-I'm now 19mths post op and feel as if time is running out to improve before the 2yr mark.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that you are not doing well. Hope things improve soon
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Bluestone:

I feel your frustration, I am right there with you. I had my 1 yr. post-op visit with Dr. Boachie on June 7th, and asked him about my continued tightness/pressure and nerve pain. He had no answers other than some people don't adjust to the hardware. I was told to wait until 2 yrs, then we could discuss possible hardware removal.But, he did say that did not guarantee that the symptoms would resolve. Did your surgeon say hardware removal would definitely fix the issue? I sure would hate to go through removal to find it didn't also remove the "Bear Claw". I will keep hoping, for both of us that it will eventually go away.
                Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                T54/L72
                Gained 2 inches!
                Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Tightness

Hi Lori!
                  I have my one year post op appt next Wednesday and plan to ask my surgeon the exact same questions. I have the tightness (varying degrees occurring randomly), occasion stinging and burning primarily in the upper back. Other than that, I'm fine. I would like to know what is involved in hardware removal. It can't be as bad as when they put in the rods, could it??
                  50 years old!!!!!
                  Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Questions for all of you who are farther along. I also have this bear claw. Mine is relieved with Flexeril. Does this work for any of you, and if so, how long do you continue to use it? Sure wish I knew what causes it--too little exercise, too much? Not enough abdominal support? How would you all (those of you with the claw) describe the shape of your spine? I have a lot of lordosis built in. I don't think I have any significant kyphosis. I don't think I fit the description of "no fat" on my back, but I'm not overweight, either. Just trying to figure this out.
                    Thanks,
                    Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Bear Claw

Hi Evelyn!

I exercise a lot. Weight lifting three days a week and an hour of cardio (walking/jogging, spinning, elliptical, step aerobics)six days a week. I do notice the tightness is significant after weight lifting but after a hot shower, it actually feels MUCH better. The tightness is constantly changing from barely noticeable to super tight. I don't take anything for it (prefer not to be on any meds). Heat does help. I think it's just tight muscles around the rods that are just taking a long time to adjust. It's quite annoying but I'm thankful I have no pain so I'm willing to put up with it. Truly am hoping it will someday go away. I believe exercise is the key to relieving it long term even though it initially makes it worse.
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Hi to the fellow "bear claw" sufferers,

I guess it is my turn to chime in.... Even though I am beyond one yr post-op, I still get those bouts of extreme tightness in the shoulder blade and thoracic areas. They seem to be most pronounced when I do things like standing to cook. Last week, I went blueberry picking for a couple of hours, but the most difficult thing was to wash and bag them later because the tightness came on as I was working by the kitchen sink.

The strange thing is that I can play tennis for a couple of hours and not be affected by the tightness. (i am not even sore the following day which was not the case prior to my surgery.) On a daily basis though, i may experience the burning sensation and extreme tightness most likely in the evening. Lying down briefly and using moist heat with a heating pad is helpful. I try to avoid the muscle relaxants since they knock me out. Like Marina, I find the tightness to be annoying, but not debilitating as it once was. I believe the daily exercising and weight lifting 3x/wk is helping me immensely. I still hope that the tightness will eventually disappear as the nerves continue to heal. Hope that it will disappear for all of you too.
                        Donna
                        Fused T3-L3

Comment

Donna-So glad you are back on the courts. I knew you would get there. It's sure nice to be back doing the things we like to do. My first year anniversary was Jan. 5 and I still had a lot of tightness. It seems like just the past month (17th month post-op) that I've noticed it less and less, so I imagine you will continue to notice improvement. Do you feel like your tennis game is back to normal? I'm getting there with golf, but not quite as long as I used to be. I'm not complaining. It's better than I expected for my first season after surgery.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                            I feel your frustration, I am right there with you. I had my 1 yr. post-op visit with Dr. Boachie on June 7th, and asked him about my continued tightness/pressure and nerve pain. He had no answers other than some people don't adjust to the hardware. I was told to wait until 2 yrs, then we could discuss possible hardware removal.But, he did say that did not guarantee that the symptoms would resolve. Did your surgeon say hardware removal would definitely fix the issue? I sure would hate to go through removal to find it didn't also remove the "Bear Claw". I will keep hoping, for both of us that it will eventually go away.
                            Hi,
                            At my year check my surgeon did say that if the pain in my middle back continued he could remove the 3 protruding screws I have because I have a lot of pain around them, I'm hoping it's just the screws causing the problem. He also said that if the pressure continued he could remove the hardware. He said he wasn't surprised I was having problems because I have zero fat in the middle of my back but he stressed he would not touch it util I'm 2yrs post op which is November. This is because the protruding screws are right where the apex of my 72 degree curve was. He said he had to 'bunch' some screws here to get a good correction and believe me he did

I am seeing him on 2nd August because I as so worried about the digging pain which to me seems to be worsening. I would also like some idea of what he suggests can be done once I hit the 2yr mark.

Comment

Karen,
                              Thank you for sharing your experience with the tightness in your back. There is still hope! My tennis game is not quite back to where I like it to be, but I am amazed how quickly I was able to resume playing matches! I actually didnt think that i could even play a match until later this fall. Now i am able to play without thinking much about my back. Plus I am learning to say "Good shot" instead of attempting to return every ball!

The first time that I served was 3 wks ago and my response was "Oh my!". I definitely understood why the doctors said that it will be the toughest movement for me to do, but even that is getting easier now. I didn't realize just how much my lower back muscles had weakened and are really needed in a serve.

By walking as much I had during the entire year following my surgery, it has made the transition to the tennis courts so much easier. I no longer play singles because movement on a hard court is just too tough on the lower back. I have even limited my other walking regimen to the treadmill since the outdoor pavement causes lower back pain. Fortunately, for you, golf is played on grass so that shouldn't be an issue. I am curious though, is your back sore after playing a round of 18 holes? The lack of back soreness has been a pleasant surprise for me.

Anyway, great to hear how well you are doing. Still need to get my tennis video made and posted. Perhaps this week.... Take care.
                              Donna
                              Fused T3-L3

Comment

Hi,
                                Dr. Boachie told me hardware removal would be an approx 3 hr. surgery, with a 2-3 day hospital stay. I have heard other people on the forum say the recovery was much easier.
                                Evelyn- Flexeril and other muscle relaxants never worked for me. Meds for nerve pain seem to help more. I would say I have a normal amount of lordosis, and no kyphosis, but I still have some residual rib hump on the rt. My correction was not as good as yours. I am normal weight, but have very little back fat.
                                I do agree that exercise seems to help. On the days that I am inactive, the tightness is much worse. It always gets worse as the day goes on too. I have asked several Dr's what they think causes this feeling, and why some people have it when others don't, and none have had definite answers. I sometimes think that is the most frustrating part of this.
                                Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                                T54/L72
                                Gained 2 inches!
                                Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                                Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Working...
                                X