The "Bear Claw"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Bear Claw"

I have been doing fine. Then, last week on Wednesday, after not going to the pool to do my PT exercises for a couple of weeks, (I had PT from May to Sept and have a PT routine.) I did all the exercises, which includes a variety of walking in chest deep water and then cross-country skiing and bicycling in deep water. Then, I just hung in deep water with dumbbells under my armpits to hold me up. That was one of the exercises but was supposed to be with a collar around my neck and hang from that so my neck muscles get stretched. The last time I did that my neck hurt so I thought I would try just hanging.

The next day, I started having muscle aches in my lower back. This is what Ed calls the "bear claw." It is muscular. The ache doesn't stop me from doing anything but it is there. I am worried I did something that can't be undone. I have been taking Ibuprofen during the day and 4 mg of Valium at night. It is 3 days since I did the exercises.

I blame myself for this and wonder if it will resolve. Could I have stretched the distance between vertebra? Broken a rod? I've been doing so well and now...

Has anyone had this problem? Did it resolve? Is this part of the healing in the second year?

Irene
    1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
    Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
    At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
    advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
    65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
    Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
    Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
    T10-S1 posterior
    Dr. Rand
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
    http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

I'm doing better today. I guess I'll never stop worrying that I've done something wrong to end this sabbatical from the pain that I am have had.

I am preparing a meal for company. What a treat to stand and chop and prepare without pain!

Wishing you all a Healthy and Happy New Year 2012!!

Irene
    Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
    T10-S1 posterior
    Dr. Rand

Comment

Glad to hear it is resolving itself Irene. Happy New Year to you too.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Irene,
        I'm glad you are doing better. I had a similar experience several months ago and didn't seem to improve for quite a while. I finally called Dr. Lenke's nurse and she thought I had inflamation of some muscles due to walking up and down some really steep hills and recommended Aleve and ice and it did the trick. I know what you mean about always worrying that you've done something to cause a problem. Happy New Year!

Karen
        p.s. John and I are going to attempt dancing (carefully) tonight at a New Year's Eve party.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

The bear claw feeling I get is when I get too cold... and that's happened recently to me. Then it feels like everything in my back tightens up all up and down my spine, stretching out about 3-4" to each side, especially in my upper and middle back. We are up in Quebec with my daughter's family for the holidays... I brought a big full length down coat. My feet froze this morning, but my back stayed ok.

Glad to hear all is well, Irene. I was forever concerned that something had gone wrong when things would pop or grate or there would be a new feeling. My popping/grating was "just" arthritis in my neck. At least it wasn't a hardware problem... (smile) Best wishes for the new year and continued recovery.
          Last edited by Susie*Bee; 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh yes I still get them from time to time. They are much less frequent but sometimes they just floor me. Motrin usually helps and when they get bad I take muscle relaxants (which I haven't had in months)

I'm glad you're feeling better. I can relate to them coming on after a break of physical activity. If I try an exercise that is new to my back, that is when I'm likely to get the spasms. I try to be very careful with myself that way.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Irene

Bear trap is the term I use because the gripping wont cease, just like a trap that wont let go. This usually happens in the thoracic, in a 3-4 inch wide spot centered on the spine. It’s a common with us and I still get them every once in a while and it seems like it happens when atmospheric pressure drops when a storm moves in. Being a hurricane hunter would not be a great profession due to this reason.

I usually don’t take anything if it happens and just lay down if I can....I’m not too keen on taking substances if I can solve the problem without. Eating something, taking a hot shower, and laying down are usually the 1st things I do if something is wrong, give the body some time to heal itself on its own.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Feeling Better and Thanks

Thanks for your encouragement and sharing your experiences. By today, I am much better. I walked 2.5 miles. I couldn't have done that a year ago.

It is great to know you are out there for help and encouragement.

Ed, I have that same 'bear claw" feeling but lower than the Thoracic, more towards the lumbar. Does it take days to go away?

Karen, We went on a cruise in December and I took a salsa dancing lesson. I didn't try to swing my hips around but just being able to stand and walk through the steps for 45 minutes for the class was great! I hope you enjoyed new years and dancing.

I need to be more careful when I go to the pool to exercise. I haven't been doing it regularly and it feels so good to be in the water that I get carried away.

Wishing you all a healthy and happy new year 2012!

Irene
                Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
                T10-S1 posterior
                Dr. Rand

Comment

Irene

Traps, not claws. The claws are when I screw up on a date that results in marks on my backside as I’m running away! he he

There are all sorts of strange feelings during a recovery, and the best we can do is to adapt to them. If there is something that’s drastically wrong, you will know. With minor issues, the best thing you can do is wait, and just take it easy. I pulled something trying to clip my toenails at 23 months post and it felt like a soldering iron down low at my L3 area on the spine just off center about an inch. It was a specific 3/4 inch dia circle of pain that lasted exactly 14 days. When I went to see my surgeon, I was riding up the elevator and realized that the pain subsided. It was a soft tissue injury. The pain was either a 10 or a 0. On or off like a light switch.

It healed itself. The body is amazing isn’t it? Each person and situation is different.

My full recovery took 2 years.

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I know many of you have talked about having the "bear traps" feelings that come and go, but has anyone experienced it constantly after their surgery? If so, how long did it take to resolve? I am 7 mos. post-op, and still have it constantly, along with the burning nerve pain. I am really becoming worried that it is permanent!
                    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                    T54/L72
                    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                    Gained 2 inches!
                    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Im 14mths post op and to me it feels like I have someones foot in the centre of my back causing a 'pressure' feeling-im presuming this is similar to the bear trap?

Its driving me crazy and some days I want to cry because I wish it would go away-some days are worse than others and only lying don relieves it, as soon as I stand again its there.

My surgeon said if I still have this at 2 years post op he will consider taking all my metalwork out so im praying that this still has chance to go away.
                      Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

coach outlet pigeon forge tn

It is easy for the rookies to see higher renovating squeeze pages produced by professionals rather than recognize all the things coach coupon Having an optimistic view of your IM future ultimately makes your journey fruitfulThus, we are again with Coach Handbags Wheadgear you charge to do is to appointment our onband sjumping unmediatedly, and intend the assistantuniculuss theadgear you continued for backwards to your bag

There are various functionality, for instance adware and spyware security, that will usually just can be found in settled coach outlet online software programs, that can on this system, though it may be freecoachoutletstoremallIts important to have a clean slate In the Internet marketing industry, its important to understand that to be successful; you have to stay ahead of the pack

r This is the web page that may provide you with essentially the most wanted result youre hunting out of your website visitors The time you put into taking consistent action can help you go really far Unless you have a very good as well as reliable understand on the interior natures involving landing pages and just how they operate, you will not ever obtain wherever

Comment

coach outlet jeffersonville

That bored me, that it provide enough money to coach outlet get a bag of famous brands I would love to hear from you againPutting on normal glasses is usually advantageous, nevertheless there may be far more benefits to wearing acquaintancesCoach Poppy Collection are in great demand from their major popularity, products of the highest quality in General

At the same time, the coach of high quality leather bags, used for more than a decadeI know coach coupon that this Coach Poppy Collection is one of Coach Outlet Shop is located in the famous stores, construction, decoration design group full Coach Bittefeel free to all Iia and look, you choose your ideal coach factory outlet outlet

But if you go to Coach Outlet online shop, you will not worry about these things I've coach outlet online been given that I have my own bag of different combinations On our Coach Shop online, you can shopping many beatiful Coach Outlet good All created and very durable

Coach Factory Store are attached to the original designs and simply show off a woman's fashion style You will have different coach outlet coupon method of considering points when you are working on your web page and you will be while using the common layout methods significantly in another way Even if economic recovery appears solid for us, however, economic recession and unemployment continues to shock wave is always high, so it may become more cautious consumersIf one of the bags, what are the trends of summer? There is a tendency to want to say Coach Outlet Online Store

Comment

Bluestone- What you describe is very similar to what I feel. Lying down is also the only thing that relieves it. Does your surgeon feel that removing the hardware would remedy the problem? It was my understanding that it is caused by the muscles/nerves stretching, so I wonder how removing the hardware would help? I understand how you feel, I feel like crying too. It is mentally exhausting, because it never goes away! P.S. Aren't these spam messages annoying?!
                            Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                            T54/L72
                            Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                            Gained 2 inches!
                            Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                            12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                            Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Bear Trap

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                              I know many of you have talked about having the "bear traps" feelings that come and go, but has anyone experienced it constantly after their surgery? If so, how long did it take to resolve? I am 7 mos. post-op, and still have it constantly, along with the burning nerve pain. I am really becoming worried that it is permanent!

Lori, I too have had it non stop since my surgery. The tingling and burning comes and goes but it is much less than it was. My surgeon told me it would eventually go away. I have to make a concerted effort to relax my shoulders. Going to PT really helped. My therapist gave me some exercises to help move the area and work the muscles. I've been back to weight lifting which does loosen things up a bit.

I'm also thinking it may never go away. I am 6 months post op.
                              50 years old!!!!!
                              Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                              Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                              Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                              Surgery 07/11/2011
                              Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Working...
                              X