preop nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
    Greetings from the other side! Wishing you a successful, smooth time of it. PACK YOUR PRUNE JUICE! That issue has NOT been fun today. You must feel relieved that your day is coming right up, I'll be praying for you and sending positive vibes your way!
    LeighAnn
    Thank you for the well wishes LeighAnn...can't wait to get this over with!
    Spring
    42 yrs old
    Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
    was told my curves would never progress
    at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
    2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
    new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
    Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
    Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
    Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
    Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

Update on Spring's Surgery

I talked with Spring's sister today who asked me to share some updates on Spring's surgery which was on Jan 9. The surgery went well; however, she is having pain management issues which the medical team is not quite able to get under control. Spring slept well on Wed for 3 hours straight, but has had barely any sleep since then. She has been able to do her walking and sitting in the chair. Dr. Lenke feels Spring should be discharged on Monday. Spring's kyphosis was corrected from 73* to about 20* and she is able to stand straight up now. Merri Ann asked to keep Spring in our prayers.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I missed a call from Spring's sister this morning so I am glad she got to talk to you, Doreen, so that you could post.

Spring,
        Hopefully, the staff can get your pain under control soon. You got a great correction. Dr. Lenke is an artist with spines. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad you are safely "on the other side."
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Passing along my well wishes to you, Spring!
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8
          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Glad that you made it to the other side safely. Hope your pain issues get under control soon
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I too am glad you are on the other side now and can get your pain under control.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Spring, so glad you're on the other side of surgery! Hope they've been able to get control of the pain; Cub's first night was horrible pain so they kept giving extra dilaudid then doc apprvd OxyContin for 2x to get thru the worst. Since then it's been so much smoother. Glad you're moving well; will keep up prayers for you.
                Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Spring--
                  You are on the track to recovering once that surgery is over. I hope your pain is better by now and that your recovery will be steady. Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I have been wondering how things were going for Spring.
                    Thanks for the update Doreen. Please know that you are in
                    my thoughts and prayers and hoping pain control has been achieved.
                    Pam, age 49
                    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                    T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Thank you all so much for your prayers and well wishes, I am doing well now and am amazed at how much correction Dr. Lenke was able to achieve. I am getting better everyday and am thankful that the pain is undercontrol. Thank you Doreen for posting the message from my sister.

Take care,
                      Spring
                      42 yrs old
                      Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Spring72 View Post
                        Thank you all so much for your prayers and well wishes, I am doing well now and am amazed at how much correction Dr. Lenke was able to achieve. I am getting better everyday and am thankful that the pain is undercontrol. Thank you Doreen for posting the message from my sister.

Take care,
                        My pleasure, Spring. Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Warmly
                        Doreen
                        44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                        Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                        2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Very glad you're improving & that the pain is under control! Let us know how you are as you can.
                          Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                          Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                          Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                          Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                          photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Hello again,

Just when you think everything is moving along like normal......*BAM* just my luck.

On Feb. 9th a CNA friend of mine stopped by around 10:30 pm. She stops sometimes when she gets off work to visit and check on me. She noticed the back of my nightgown was wet, after investigating we found that the bottom of my incision had come open near my tailbone about an 1 1/2 inches and was oozing, I had no idea, that part of my back is completely numb. The next morning I called my doctor here in town, the surgeon who referred me to Dr. Lenke. He told me to go to the ER, as he was in the OR there, and he would be over to see me. Next thing you know I am being wheeled into surgery, I had a procedure done where the wound is deeply cleaned out and closed back up again. Cultures were sent to the lab but would not be back until sunday and there would be no one to read them so I had to stay in the hospital until Monday Feb. 12th. My doc said that everything looked good inside, he opened it up more to clean it out, take cultures, cut away some skin, re-stitch and was pretty sure that if there was any infection that it was superficial. I was put on IV antibiotics as a precaution. On Sunday the cultures came back positive for MRSA, I was devastated and my doc was shocked, all of my blood work was good and I had no signs of the infection, fever, chills ect. immediately I was placed in isolation. I had a pic line put into my arm and was released on the 12th as planned. My treatment plan is to have IV antibiotics (Vancomycin) 2 times a day at home for 13 days, that I administer myself. They are optimistic that the infection has not spread to my hardware. A home healthcare nurse came to my house and taught me how to do the IV's and taught my husband how to change my dressing. They will continue to follow me until my treatment is over. This has set my recovery back some, I am in alot more pain now but it will all be worth it if the treatment works and I get through this ok. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.
                            Spring
                            42 yrs old
                            Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Spring,
                              I was not sleeping well tonight and had planned to email you to check and see how you were doing. I am suprised and sorry to hear that you had a set back with the incision opening. Thank goodness your friend noticed it and all precautions are being taken. I haven't heard of that happening before, but I remember worrying about it for some reason & checking the incision out in a mirror all of the time. I am sorry you had to go through another surgery.
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you Karen, you have been a great support to me along the way.....I should give you a call again sometime. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and this is nothing comparable to what some people have to endure on this journey, good thing I'm so pessimistic...I just knew somehow things couldn't go that smoothly. It has been rocky from the start but still at this point I do not regret having this surgery.....I am convinced that it has saved my life. (having near perfect correction doesn't hurt either *wink*)

Take care,
                                Spring
                                42 yrs old
                                Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.

Comment

Working...
                                X