No announcement yet.

preop nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely, give me a call. I'll email my cell number because we won't be home for a few weeks. There is a light at the end of the tunnel . . .
    Hang in there.
    Karen
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Sorry to hear about this development, it's the one thing that really worried me. Best of luck and let us know how you go.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Spring--
        I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds like you have a plan with your doctor and you still have such a positive attitude. I hope all is well soon. Good luck to you.
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Spring,

That is a huge bummer! But at the same time, maybe you can look at it as a blessing that your friend caught it early enough that hopefully it's not in your hardware. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Best,
          Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Oh Spring, I am so sorry you had this set-back. I'll pray for healing for you. Fortunately it was caught before it spread too far.
            Sheree
            Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
            Had two children
            Back started hurting more around age 52
            Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
            Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
            Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
            Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
            My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

I am so sorry to hear that you had this set back.I will continue to pray for you
              May God bless you
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Spring, so sorry for your latest battle. Hope & pray you're over it fast & that your pain eases.
                Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Great news...my infection has cleared up! My picc line was removed finally after being in my arm driving me crazy for 2 weeks, I am so tired of being a pin cushion. My new incision (about 8 inches long) has healed nicely and the stitches removed. I should be on cloud nine right? I am really greatful that this setback turned out well, but I am in more pain now. At 4 weeks post-op I felt I was doing so well, getting my walks in everyday and feeling stronger. Having MRSA has made me a 'lepper' to my friends, I was having visitors left and right in the beginning and then it went to nothing. So my spirits are low as well, being wintertime also doesn't help, I feel like a prisoner in my own body, I am even more swollen now from having the second surgery. My doctor has given me stronger pain meds hydro 10-325, hoping that will help me out enough to become more active. I hurt so much I can barely get out of bed most days, I'm now having a burning, searing pain shooting under my right shoulder blade, it is so intense that it can make me scream, it will come and go in waves and I don't have it all the time (thank God) but when I do it is nearly unbearable. I mentioned it to my doctor here and he just shrugged it off so I guess that means it is normal? I thought I was pretty 'normal' recovering from this but when I read about how people are driving by now and lots of other things then I feel like I'm so far behind....I feel like I'm never going to get better. Starting to rant now, thanks for listening.
                  Spring
                  42 yrs old
                  Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
                  was told my curves would never progress
                  at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
                  2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
                  new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
                  Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
                  Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
                  Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
                  Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

Glad to hear that the infection cleared up. Hope you start feeling better soon
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Spring,

Have you called Dr. Lenke's office? I'm sure you must have been in touch with them regarding the infection, etc. I would think they would want to get you on some medicines that would reduce the pain enough that you can become more active. I know they wouldn't like it if they heard you could barely get out of bed!!!

I am also wondering if this is the point when you need to start getting outside? That can reduce those winter blahs and maybe not make you feel like a lepper! I'm sure your friends will be back when they know you are all cleared up. What a bummer, though.

I want to see you out there healing quickly!! Gotta keep up the good Dr. Lenke track record.

Seriously, though, I hope you start to feel stronger every day, and I am glad to hear the infection is gone.

Best,
                      Evelyn
                      age 48
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                        Glad to hear that the infection cleared up. Hope you start feeling better soon
                        Thank you Melissa, you and me both.

Evelyn,

Of course I have been in touch with Dr. Lenke's office from the start, yes they are concerned. It is not as if no one is doing anything about it, my pain meds have been increased. I appreciate your concern, I have been getting outside when I can. It is not just me 'feeling' like a lepper, people stopped coming around at all quite abruptly when they found out I had MRSA. My only visitors were nurses...proof of how uneducated people are about things like this. I've had a pretty decent day today so far...finally. I just have to remember that I have had a complication and that is why I'm a bit behind in recovery. They are rare, but I'm the person this kinda stuff always seems to happen to, I swear lol. I see that your date is fast approaching, you will do great, he truly is a master....I have near perfect correction. I will appreciate that more in a few more months I'm sure

Take care,
                        Spring
                        42 yrs old
                        Milwaukee braced 1983 to 1989
                        was told my curves would never progress
                        at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
                        2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67
                        new diagnosis-kyphoscoliosis, DDD, Arthritis, Osteoporosis, 73 degree Kyphosis
                        Surgery 1-09-12....10 hrs all posterior T4-sacrum & 2 cages
                        Dr. Lenke-St. Louis Mo.
                        Surgery to clean out infection 2-10-12
                        Revision for broken rods 1-23-14

Comment

Oh Spring, I'm so sorry you're having a tough recovery....wanted you to know that God reminded me of you today and I prayed for you. I will continue to do that. I know how life-giving contacts with friends can be --- will pray that your friends will once again get on board and be your cheer-leaders to a new you!!!
                          Sheree
                          Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
                          Had two children
                          Back started hurting more around age 52
                          Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
                          Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
                          Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
                          Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
                          My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Comment

Okay, Spring. I am glad you are doing everything you need to do. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, as well.

Best,
                            Evelyn
                            age 48

Comment

Working...
                            X