Interesting tidbit comments from Dr. Hey on recent cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting tidbit comments from Dr. Hey on recent cases

I apologize for going on and on about Dr. Hey but I just think he is extremely good at what he does.

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2011/...es-at-hey.html

What's nice about this blog post is that the radiographs are in each picture with the patient and the doctor.

Some points I thought were interesting:

1. AIS case resumes normal activities by 6-week check-up. Looks like a hypercorrection to near straight.

2. Used a "triple rod" technique on a complex kyphoscoliosis revision. I wonder if other surgeons are using that or if this is another technique he invented. He seems to invent things a lot.

3. Neck fusion allowed a guy to regain full use of his arms and legs.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Sharon,

As far as I am concerned, I am in complete agreement with you regarding Dr. Hey. If I had not moved to CA this past summer, I would had my revision surgery
    with him . In addition, I feel that Dr Hey would have done as good a job as Dr.Bederman
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Sharon

No need to apologize. We agree that Dr Hey is great.

Funny how there are many non-scolis with serious problems.......

My neighbor is a non-scoli, with 2 levels fused and the guy is in bad shape. He comes over here, and just cannot believe how well I turned out. I don’t know what to say sometimes.....He had a pain pump, it didn’t work well and they removed it. We don’t hear about pain pumps here much.

He is also hooked on meds, for many years now. He needs to set records (on med intake) to control pain.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

No need to apologize, Sharon. It probably saved me a lot of money and frustration by not going out there and he didn't charge me to look at my x-rays. I probably would have chosen him, too, if my insurance had pulled through (my personal opinion as to why he cancelled me, but I could be wrong). Anyway, he seems to advertise himself on the web more than any other doc that I've seen out there (except for CLEAR folks...LOL). Someone who promotes himself and his positive outcomes as much as he does is bound to get a lot more recognition. There's no doubt that he is an excellent surgeon. With that said, I'm sure that there are a lot of very good ingenuitive surgeons of his caliber or better out there (look at TiEd's doc who isn't even an SRS doc). They just don't post about themselves so extensively on the web. One word of caution, though, no bad outcomes are ever posted on the blogs.... Something to think about, as every doctor has bad outcomes at times. I doubt that any doctor would recommend that their patients return to cheerleading only a few days after a fusion surgery, as that would put tremendous strain on the rods. We all know that it takes a LONG time for the actual fusion to occur. These are amazing outcomes, but I won't post on this thread again.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
          I doubt that any doctor would recommend that their patients return to cheerleading only a few days after a fusion surgery, as that would put tremendous strain on the rods. We all know that it takes a LONG time for the actual fusion to occur.
          No actually per our surgeon about 95% of kids need no physical restrictions other than their own pain and still get a solid fusion. That's because the instrumentation is that good.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            No actually per our surgeon about 95% of kids need no physical restrictions other than their own pain and still get a solid fusion. That's because the instrumentation is that good.
            One more reason to back up the early fusion idea. Kids heal much more quickly than adults. I still would NOT let my daughter do that. I see too many stories on here of rod breakage.... (ouch!) even in younger people. Now I'm done. :-)
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

One more reason to back up the early fusion idea. Kids heal much more quickly than adults. I still would NOT let my daughter do that. I see too many stories on here of rod breakage.... (ouch!) even in younger people. Now I'm done. :-)
              Our surgeon still restricts all kids for 8 months only because he can't identify ahead of time who the 5% are who need restrictions to get a good fusion.

The issue is that my kids and probably most kids are feeling mostly normal only a few weeks out and so they forget the restrictions. I reminded my kids a few times but it's really impossible when they feel normal so soon.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I think it's really unusual for a kid to break rods.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                X