Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 days post op revision number one

Hey Guys,
    I am a long time lurker and just wanted to share my story and see if you all had any wisdom you could share with me. I underwent a t7 to L4 hartshill procedure fusion which worked great until the past year where i started getting sever pain in my r glut and thigh. After pt and mutiple epidurals it seemed that i needed surgery. I just underwent a laminectomy at l4 and 5 with extension of the fusion to l5. My concern now is that im starting to get the same redicular pain on my right side. I had this pain immediately post op but it went away within 48 hours. I am on day 8 postop and this this right glut pain is nagging me and getting worse for the past 3 days. Has anyone else experienced this? (radicular pain that came back) What was the outcome. I am in my early 30s so I thought Id heal fast but I am still having a lot of post op pain in general. When did most people feel that went away. I keep hearing 2 weeks so im keeping my fingers crossed.
    Thank you all for listening
    docuk22

Maybe JDM555 will pipe in here, or you can send him a PM. He's had a lot of experience with revision and recovery.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

over 3 weeks out

Hello all,

I wanted to update my story and see if anyone could give me any insight. I am 3 weeks 2 days post op and my back pain from the surgery is barely noticeable. I still have radicular pain down my right leg which still concerns me. My dr started me on neurontin and its not helping yet but im still working on upping my dose to 3 times a day. did it take anyone a while to get rid of thier radicular pain? Should I try and stay more active as I am trying to lay down as much as possible to make sure i fuse properly. I have tried walking on the tread mill after two weeks which didnt feel great so i stopped.

Thanks all

Comment

I would think it best that you walk as much as pain will allow. I don't think laying down helps the body to fuse any faster. I believe the goal is to become active as soon as possible to keep your bones and muscles strong. My radicular pain has never completely gone away, but Neurontin helps. I take 300 mg four times a day and that keeps it under control. Some people have no radicular pain after surgery. Hopefully others with chime in with their experiences.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally is exactly correct. Weight bearing exercise is better than reclining in the world of growing bone.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thank you

I got off my butt and took a mile walk on the treadmill. It didnt feel good at first but it was fine after a while. I just have to make sure to walk everyday. Thank you for your advice. Im 5 weeks out now and still have radicular pain with neurontin 300mg 3 times a day. I only hope it gets better in time.

Comment

Working...
            X