Two weeks and counting... Jan 3rd for Jacob's surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update at 7 months

Wanted to update this in case anyone is reading through this part of the forum to prepare for an upcoming teen surgery. We had Jacob's 6-month followup a few weeks ago; everything went great & he was cleared to do even more. Just has a few restrictions - no trampoline, bungee, rollercoaster, & the doctor wasn't too keen on jetskiing. Was happy that Jacob has been ocean kayaking, paddle boarding, even surfing on the longboard - the paddling is apparently a great exercise for him.

Every day I am so unbelievably thankful for this surgery & for a wonderful outcome. Don't want to come off as though I'm bragging - it's more that it astounds me where we were just literally months ago, from pain & diagnosis, to surgery, to doing 4-5 miles hikes in mountains at 3 mos (Smokies) & 6 mos (Rockies), to the big goal, which was all about band camp. Last Oct when Jacob was diagnosed w scoliosis & would absolutely need surgery, we moved very swiftly in researching doctors & hospitals, as we knew our son's passion for marching band was all-important to him & that practices start in July. Am absolutely thrilled to say that goal was successfully accomplished - Jacob gradually increased the amount of time he'd wear snare & base drum. Jacob just this morning finished 1.5 wk (8 hrs daily!) marching band camp, w very little discomfort. He was approved by Dr. Cronen for snare, but all the seniors got them; 1st bass drum is about the same weight, & he's a great drummer, so they put him on that, in essence leading 1/3 of percussion. Starts high school Thurs. He is so happy with his life & I am amazed. Period. It's just such an incredible journey from the heartache & disbelief at the diagnosis & surgery, to this outcome, just 7 months since then. So grateful.
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Nice report!

T fusions in kids (and adults) appear to have been largely solved as far as anyone knows. This is what folks can expect of this surgery. These surgeons are amazing in giving kids back their life.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

So happy for you and Jacob. I think I have an inkling of the joy and relief you are feeling. May Jacob's life be free of concerns about his back.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Nice report!
          These surgeons are amazing in giving kids back their life.
          AMEN! and thanks for all the support through it all!
          LeighAnn

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            So happy for you and Jacob. I think I have an inkling of the joy and relief you are feeling. May Jacob's life be free of concerns about his back.
            Thank you Jennifer

Comment

Glad that he is doing so well
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment