Two weeks and counting... Jan 3rd for Jacob's surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two weeks and counting... Jan 3rd for Jacob's surgery

Feels as though we're on a bullet train - absolutely hurtling thru time towards Christmas then Jacob's Jan 3rd surgery. Have spent so many hours on this forum getting a crash course in scoliosis & surgery, reading what so many of you have gone through, what has helped, what to avoid - and I can't tell you how much I truly appreciate it all. Esp those of you who've taken the time to write me of your own children's scoli journeys, or those who've had surgery w Dr Cronen. Have had the blinders on, being focused on everything that needs to be done, so fortunately haven't gotten freaked out in quite a while; tho there's a constant prayer in quiet times, esp the middle of the night when I can't shut off my brain.
    Jacob himself doesn't seem to want to talk about it much, but he's definitely on board; he knows the positive attitude, doing his exercises throughout the day, etc will help him get the best result. Doesn't ask many questions, but I believe he's ready to be done with the pain that he's had for so long. He's been very huggy, which makes my heart swell. I hope that part doesn't stop; my teenage boy comes to me for a long hug now many times a day.
    I think we are as prepared as we can be - but any additional suggestions from y'all are appreciated - most especially your prayers & best wishes for the most positive outcome possible The memory foam topper came in last week, for his bed as well as for the 3hr ride home when released; raisins/applesauce/pb crackers; pear (&other types of) juice (wouldn't believe for a minute he'd drink prune juice...& they give meds to avoid constipation); pediasure; propel; button-down shirts & pull on pants, incl PJs. warm bathrobe even tho it's FL, slippers. Fenergin in IV. No morphine as bad reactions, use dilaudid(sp). I'm prepared to donate my o- blood next wk for his use, as Dr doesn't have his patients "wear themselves down before surgery" by giving their own - so agree! Homebound/hospital school set up to begin apprx 3 wks after. Fuzzy pillow. Surprise Christmas present he'll be able to use to watch movies, internet, etc. Have gotten a little weight on him - yeah! PT going well - building up rhomboids, etc - he's so determined & it helps his pain. Looks like so little, what else?

ps - is there a way to add a photo of his xray if it's not on flicker or photobucket?
    Last edited by LSKOCH5; 12-19-2011, 08:38 PM. Reason: photo q
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Best of luck to you and Jacob. Hope all goes well
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks Melissa, and best of luck to you on your continued recovery. Hope you're feeling better soon.
      LeighAnn

Comment

Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
        Thanks Melissa, and best of luck to you on your continued recovery. Hope you're feeling better soon.
        LeighAnn

Thanks LeighANn. I had a MRI today done on my right shoulder and I hope to hear soon from Dr Bederman
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

good luck with jacob's surgery on jan 3rd
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Looks like two surgeries on Jan. 3rd! Good luck for a fast and speedy recovery!

Comment

Thanks very much!

Comment

Kara - best of luck on your surgery on the 3rd! Hope it goes smoothly & that you have a speedy, thorough recovery! BendyBill is the 3rd in UK as well - it's going to be a positive, productive day.

Comment

Jacob's got bronchitis now - possibly postponing surgery

You think you prepare for everything, and then he coughs a rumbly cough and hubby takes him to the dr who says he's got "some bronchitis in there." Waiting for them to get home to find out all, but gp says it's day by day as far as if the surgery will take place on Tues. I want what is absolutely in his best interest, and he's got to be healthy going into this, so I can't see how it can go on. Any of you nurses out there have any comments?

Comment

Hi there,

I am SO sorry to hear about Jacob's bronchitis---this seems to happen to a few kids on these forums every winter, and it is always stressful for the family. He may recover and be declared fit for surgery, or it may be postponed for his safety if it is not better. I would definitely call and notify the surgeon's office at this point (don't let them cancel it, he may be ok by then, just give them a heads up).

Until then, the best thing you can do is have him REST, drink plenty of fluid, and eat nutritious food. Tim will tell.

Good luck, please let us know how things shape up.
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi...

If the GP thinks he might not be ready for surgery in a week, I agree that it's a good idea to call the surgeon's office. It's possible that they might be able to move some surgeries around so that you can swap dates to a week later if necessary.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Gayle & Linda. Went ahead and called the surgeon, his office said to keep the pre op & preregistration apps tmrw, as they believe he should be fine by then. If he isn't there might be a possibility they could on the 10th, but as the dr is heading to a conference 2 days later, but I don't have any comfort level w that. My husband feels ok, but to me I want surgeon in state the whole time he's in the hospital just in case, right?

Comment

Had all pre op appts today. Lungs are clear & he's on 2nd day of zPac so all feel it's okay unless he gets worse for some reason. Rest, liquids & sunshine, where he thought he'd be tearing around til surgery. Good news as he now expects T3-L1. Curves have increased in the couple months since MRI; not a huge surprise as I swear he keeps shooting up in height. Surprised there are so few restrictions post surgery; guess that's a perk of being a young teen. Forgot to ask about raising arms, but based on other answers it's probably as it happens without pushing it. I'll still ask as I remember seeing that was a no no for a while for several.

Comment

So glad to hear Jacob's lungs are clear. It sounds like you have the green light! These kids are just amazing in their recuperative powers.

Please keep us posted, and we will hold Jacob and your family in our thoughts.
                            Gayle, age 50
                            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Today is the day

Good luck and will be keeping you in our prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X