No announcement yet.

The pop that was hear around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very sorry to hear it, Gayle. I hope the fix will be faster and simpler than the original fusion.

Best regards,
    Sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. Last year , March 2011, when my rod broke, all the surgeons that I saw said that they would remove it . Please keep us informed.
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Gayle,
        I feel so bad for you that this has happened. No one wants to think of another surgery, but, hopefully, the recovery will be easier if surgery is necessary.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I am anxious to talk to Dr Hart tomorrow. My hospital was able to send the x-rays electronically to him so he will be able to view them right away.

I am guessing the next step is a CT scan. If surgery is necessary (can't imagine avoiding it after seeing the x-rays), I would like to get through it as soon as possible and get on with my life!

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes, and I will post when I have news tomorrow.
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Gayle,

Best Wishes for your visit with your surgeon tomorrow and a smooth recovery from here.
            Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
            currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
            11/10 TLSO Full Time
            4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
            12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
            VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
            10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

Hi Gayle,

My heart sank when I read this - I am so sorry.

I'm glad to read, though, that others have said if surgery is required it shouldn't be nearly as tough as the first one.

I am thinking of you....
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi Gayle,

I am really sorry to hear about this. The same thing just happened to Naptown78 (Kristy). She will be having surgery to address the unfused area, but I believe she said the rods would be repaired, rather than replaced.

I hope you are not in too much pain. Best wishes for getting this resolved quickly and smoothly!

Evelyn
                age 48
                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Gayle,
                  How horrible is that? After all those x-rays telling you everything is fine. And your surgery was more than one year ago. I am so sorry. You must be so upset about this. Lets hope the Doc's can get you fixed up really soon so you can get on with your life. It's things like this that give all of us pause when we hear a pop or feel a pain that isn't our norm or slip and fall down. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Gayle,
                    I am so sorry to hear this! I thought you were "out of the woods" after your pre-Christmas x-ray looked okay. Drat!

Your surgery was similar to mine and shortly after mine, so I have always paid careful attention to your posts and progress. It's hard to believe that you were so pain free and then wammy, broken rods.

I hope the repair is relatively easy on you!

Thinking of you,
                    Kathy
                    Kathy
                    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Good luck

I think its hard to keep going through surgeries like we all have but i wish you the best of luck!

Comment

Revision surgery planned

I was finally able to speak to my surgeon's PA today, and she said the rods are broken at L2/3 on one side and L3/4 on the other, so pseudoarthrosis at two levels as far as they can tell. I go next Tuesday for a CT scan, more x-rays, to meet with Dr Hart to go over the surgical plan, then a pre-op appt with the PA including labs and pre-op instructions, etc. They will give me a surgery date at that appointment, but I know it will be soon.

So far the PA said I would need an XLIF at L2/3 and L3/4, then posterior revision with refusion of the unfused levels, with two additional (shorter) rods being placed alongside the broken rods. I don't quite get how that works but Dr Hart is trying to avoid having to open the entire incision. Surgery will be about 6 hours, so no small deal.

I am trying to stay positive, and I am glad that things are getting lined up for a prompt revision, so I can get on with healing-again. It is really hard to believe this is happening.
                        Gayle, age 50
                        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hope all goes well for you
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Gayle--
                            I'm so sorry to hear about this. That's awful. You are keeping quite a positive attitude about it all and that's good. I hope the revision is swift and recovery is too! Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Oh Gayle,

Sorry to hear that you have to have another surgery. Best Wishes for a date as soon as possible so you can start to move forward. I know you will get a lot of support here, you give so much to so many here and on the VBS site. Please lean on us if you need anything.
                              Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
                              currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
                              11/10 TLSO Full Time
                              4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
                              12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
                              VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
                              10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

Gayle, so sorry you're going through all this. Sending best wishes & prayers for a successful revision & an easy a recovery as possible.
                                Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                                Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                                Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                                Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                                photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Working...
                                X