The pop that was hear around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gayle...

Glad it's over (hopefully) for you, and that you're well on your way to full recovery.

I had a bad allergic reaction to adhesive after my first surgeries. My Steri-Strips actually melted off my back around day 10. The itching was maddening. Hope your's settles down quickly.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Gayle,

It is great to see you posting again. I am hoping your recovery progresses quickly from this point and that you are fully recovered really soon!!!
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hey Gayle,

Great hearing from you. It sounds like you have some momentum and are on your way to a relatively quick recovery. I hope so. :-)
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Gayle,
          I am so sorry you had to go through revision surgery. It sounds like you are doing well. I hope you have a quick and smooth recovery.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Gayle,
            So sorry to hear about the ileus but very glad to hear you are on the healing side and doing well now, especially with the pain meds. I also had allergic reactions to the adhesives. I think the itching lasted at least a month. I remember finding an old back scratcher that I used for quite some time after my surgeries. I used up two tubes of cortisone cream and took benedryl at night so I could sleep. I hope your reaction goes away much sooner. I hope your recovery goes well and quickly.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Gayle,

Glad to hear you are doing well! You are such a trooper! Glad you can keep a positive outlook, and hope everything will be normal again soon.

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Healing well

Hi all,

Yesterday was the 2-year anniversary of my first surgery (T8-pelvis/posterior) and it has now been 8 months since my major revision for broken rods. I am feeling very good overall, and my back is definitely coming along well. Twice now I have been delighted at the 6.5 month mark...for me this is when a lot of the major "aches and pains" go away and the possibility of being nearly pain-free becomes closer to a reality. What I have learned now twice (the hard way) is that this recovery just takes time, and no matter how much you suck it up and try to push through, your body will heal on it's own time schedule! I can still notice improvement overall from month to month, and I know that even after one year I will still have improvement. All in all having broken rods was a huge bummer, but not the end of the world.

I am active now, with a demanding job, two active kids to keep up with, and a mini-farm with 40 chickens among other pets. I take tylenol and some ibuprofen most days, but it's usually not so much for my back as it is for my neck or my feet. I am still working at getting back into my pre-surgery condition by swimming regularly. It takes quite awhile for all the endurance and muscular strength to come back. I overdid it last month by starting a bunch of new back and upper body exercises at the gym---paid for that big time with major muscle spasms in my back that took weeks of multiple massages to relieve. Sooo, I will try to return to those exercises on a much more conservative scale!

Anyway, these are just my musings about the last 2 years. Thanks as always to all for the kind words of encouragement.
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Gayle! Such very good news! I am so happy for you.

Mini farm! I am so jealous of you! We would have chickens if our housing association allowed it. The silkies and orpingtons are supposed to be great pets.

Best wishes for continued success in your double recovery.

Sharon
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

That's the best news I could have heard, Gayle. I am thrilled you are doing so well!!
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Gayle, I am glad to hear you are doing so much better.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Gayle,
                        That's fantastic! May things continue so well for you! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Gayle,

Thank you for sharing a good news. I am so glad you're doing well!
                          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Gayle,

Thanks for sharing your good news. You are always so insightful and inspiring. Glad you are on the mend!!

Best,
                            Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Gail

Its always a relief when the light gets brighter in the tunnel of recovery....if you have a revision, I guess that would make the tunnel twice as long.

You always had the drive and faith it takes, its nice to see you doing so well. (big smiley face)

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

acute pain flair up

I injured my back on July 21st at home. I was squatting down and reaching far forward for something, and felt a painful pop (not as loud as "the pop heard round the world" when I broke my rods) in the lower right side of my back. The next day it was sore but not terrible, until the evening when I started having severe, disabling back pain after swimming. I went to bed, and the next morning was still in very severe pain in the lower right side. I went to Urgent Care and had x-rays which were cleared by my surgeon. The pain was severe enough to keep me unhappily in bed for two days, at which point I improved enough to gradually resume my activities.

Now, over 2 weeks later, the pain is not resolved. It is very localized to the lower right side. The left side does not hurt. It is present but not bad when sitting or lying down, but sharp and easily reproducible with specific motions. These motions include straightening up after bending forward, and any type of leaning back. Once the pain is flared up, putting weight on the right leg while walking down stairs is also very painful, as is any type of twisting such as getting in the car. It feels like I have a spear sticking through my back when I do any of these motions, or after. Tylenol with Advil and laying on a heating pad help relieve the pain, but it comes immediately back with the above motions.

I know injuries take time to heal, but I am starting to worry that I am not improving much. I contacted Dr Hart's office yesterday and they want me to schedule an appt and CT scan for 2-4 weeks which I can cancel if I improve. They also prescribed a Medrol pack which I will start today. Not looking forward to it as I have heard horror stories of people having insomnia and other bad side effects from steroid tapers, and don't want to gain any weight haha!!

Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated. Ed, are you out there?
                                Gayle, age 50
                                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
                                X