No announcement yet.

The pop that was hear around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You specifically asked for Ed? I'm new here, is he a doctor? Hope it's okay if I answer some of your questions. I had a flare up after surgery and was on a merlo pack. It was only 7 days. It did not cause insomnia for me but I was given medication to help me sleep. The small amount of time on the pack did not cause weight gain. It also gave me pain relief which returned a week or so after the pack wore off. I'm really sorry if I wasn't supposed to answer.

Comment

Dear Jamie,

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! I definitely did not mean to give the impression that only Ed could answer. Ed is a seasoned scoliosis veteran here who offers very practical advice with a good helping of humor added in, and I mentioned him because I recall he had some sort of severe soft tissue injury some years back.

I would love to hear advice or encouragement from anyone.

How long after your surgery did you have your flare up? You mentioned the pain came back after the steroid pack, but did it eventually heal?

Thanks again for your quick reply. I appreciate it!
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Oh that's good to know about Ed. I'm sorry to hear he has been through so many revisions. Poor guy! To answer your question. They did the ct scan and could not find anything. After the doctor was sure I was fused, he removed my iliac screws. My pain was not from an injury, it just started on its own. I just wanted to let you know how the steroids worked and about the sleep. Hopefully yours will resolve once the steroids bring down the inflammation. Take care!

Comment

Steroids? You will get your house cleaned with your tons of energy!

So sorry about your fall. You seem to be doing a correct management strategy and I love your very specific descriptions of movement inducing discomfort. They are freq helpful to surgeons and pain management folks.

Let me know if I can help you. I am in Central Oregon for a week now and will be back next Saturday. If you need a place to stay, we are near the SE end of the Ross Island Bridge.

Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Jamie

Luckily, I have had no spine revisions....and my scoliosis surgeon doesn’t take any credit, he just shakes his head in disbelief of my success .....I have had many doctors shake their heads for different reasons. Maybe I just pick shaky doctors? I don’t know ? (scoliosis forum humor)

I have had to do 5 surgeries total for various issues....2 of them for gall and kidney stones. Cholecystectomy, and Laser lithotripsy. That and a shoulder re-build from a devastating ski crash 10 days before my scoliosis surgeries. I had A/P surgeries for scoliosis and did a massive anterior ALIF with stacked L1-Pelvis partial corpectomies. That anterior was a serious procedure along with cancer exploration.

There are no doctors that post on this forum except for one, and he isn’t all that active.....There is a scoli surgeon that posts on the Austraila forum, and none on the British forum that I’ve seen.

Gail

My surgeon gave me a Medrol pack (Methylprednisolone) for my 2 cervical herniation’s along with Diclofenac 2 years ago in April 2013. It took 30 long days for that pain to cease. For cervical herniation’s, this is the cats meow because I dodged ACDF surgery.

My L4 soft tissue injury was 22 months post, 1” intense circle of pain 2 inches off center that resolved itself on its own after 2 weeks. Imagine that! We actually do heal! What a concept! That was during my second year leading up to ski season, so I was pushing things harder getting in shape for skiing. Dr Menmuir attributed that as a soft tissue injury and was issued no meds.

Even though we recover and can lean over, its not a really good idea to continually test ourselves. I still squat to pick up things, but don’t want to post about hearing about any pops of my own. Thank goodness I’m going deaf in my old age! I also do not lift at work......no more, I always ask for somebody young and tough like a Marine Corp drill sergeant. “Who here is young and tough?” They usually come running....and I remind them that they aren’t as tough as me. They know, and I get a kick out of it.

You have had a history of pseudarthrosis.....I think that given this situation, that being extra careful in the future would be a good idea.....I would stop the bending over. Ask Dr H about this matter, about your history and see if you can get any input. Depending on the surgeon and the patient, this communication level will vary since they don’t want to scare. Since you are a medical professional, I think you will or can get the real answer....Fusion mass does not always have the integrity we need to exert a high amount of force. Rod breakage is proof of this.

Lets hope this isn’t the case again.

Do you still have any braces laying around? I would lend you mine, but I made a planter out of it and would have to do a transplant if you needed it. (more scoliosis forum humor)

Lets hope this resolves quickly through rest so you can avoid that CT scan.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Is it possible to crack or fracture the fusion mass without broken hardware showing up?

Today was my second day of 5 on the Medrol taper pack, and I had severe pain this afternoon and evening after working for several hours. I am also taking Tylenol and meloxicam (a NSAID). The only relief once the pain sets in is sitting quietly or laying down on a heating pad. The pain can flare up quickly and be severe, like a spear is sticking through my back. I am really starting to worry, so will try to take it easier. Unfortunately I finally threw out my post-surgical brace a few months ago, somewhere after the 2 year mark.

Let's hope tomorrow is a better day.
              Gayle, age 50

Comment

Hoping that tomorrow is better. Sounds like you are doing everything to ride it out, if that is possible. Sorry that I cannot answer your question about a fracture, but wouldn't something be seen on the imaging? I am sure that you are keeping Dr. Hart appraised of your situation.

Hang in there. Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                  Is it possible to crack or fracture the fusion mass without broken hardware showing up?
                  Let's hope tomorrow is a better day.
                  Gail, This is a really good question.....and seems like it “could” happen and is possible depending on the elasticity of your implants. I’ve been warned about cracking my fusions “rotationally” in high speed ski crashes.

You know that whenever we self diagnose, its fruitless....

Spears, knives, swords, and soldering irons (that was my description years ago) call for a serious pit stop.

I would stop all activity.

Deep breaths....

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I remember my Dad asking my spinal surgeon about the strength of my fusions. I remember the DR telling my Dad my fused spine was stronger than anyone who is not fused. Hopefully that thought is still correct. Just remembering hearing that as a kid.

Comment

• Hi Gayle...

I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing pain once again. I hope it's temporary. I remember seeing some advanced imaging of what clearly looked like a crack in the fusion with no associated broken rod. I don't know if the person ever went on to break their rod(s).

I also think it's entirely possible that you've got another broken rod that just hasn't shown itself yet. We had a patient who heard the pop, but whose xrays showed no break. It wasn't until several months later when the break finally showed up. When we blew up the original xrays, you could actually see a very, very faint line, but the rods were not displaced at first. Hope that doesn't make you worry more.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I'm so sorry to hear about your pain and worry. I have been on a Medrol pack a few times over the years. It usually takes me 3-4 days before I start to feel better, so hopefully this will kick in for you soon. Also, have you tried ice? Maybe you are having muscle spasms/pain ( hopefully not anything else), or maybe spasms as a result of another injury. In either case, maybe trying something like Biofreeze would help reduce the muscle pain. Have you tried Lidoderm patches? I feel silly suggesting these things if it's something more serious, but maybe you could try these to help with at least some pain relief. I hope you feel better soon and that it's nothing complicated!
                        T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
                        10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
                        Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
                        At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
                        Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
                        Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
                        Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

• Hi ksmom,

I tried ice yesterday on your suggestion and found a lot of relief from it actually, possibly more that with heat. I've never loved ice but in this case it seems to help. I also have some Biofreeze that I hadn't considered so will check it out. I appreciate your suggestions! They are definitely not silly.

Linda, you didn't make me worry more… I am a great worrier all by myself, and I sort of have this gut feeling that I have a broken rod. It is hard not to think the worst at this point...I have had a couple of little flare-ups from soft tissue strain, but this episode is different than those. This reminds me of when my rods were broken, and in that case the x-rays after the first huge pop were clear, then a month later, with another huge pop, they showed up as broken. I'm sure one rod was cracked but non-displaced after the first incident then.

I had a deep tissue massage yesterday from a massage therapist who knows my back well. She found two incredibly tight, painful areas on the right low lumbar area and worked on them, but I was surprised when she went to the left the identical areas (although not causing any pain) were also just as tight.

I got a work note from Dr Hart's office to be off yesterday, today and tomorrow, so I can spend as much time as possible in bed. Ed, thanks for pointing out the obvious that I should be taking it easy…I have been in a bit of denial about the severity of this situation and running around making it worse at work. Tomorrow is my last day of the Medrol pack (not noticeably helpful yet). I also have a return visit with Dr Hart and a CT scan scheduled for Sept 1st if this doesn't clear up by then.
                          Gayle, age 50

Comment

• I have no advice except to say that I hope that you get some relief

Melissa
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• It is quite understandable why you and others here are "worriers" about any problem/change that occurs. My experience has similarly caused me to pause with any change and not trust my body. I hope that whatever this is that it self-heals and that you can get back to work and your life. I have found ice quite helpful for various spine spasms and discomforts. I won lots of ice bags!

Hoping that this passes without much more pain.

Susan

Comment

• It's a shame we don't have a doctor on the forum to answer medical questions accurately That would be great since it's so difficult to get an answer over the phone and we are usually required to make visits to their offices for simple questions. I know their all just too busy to bother themselves with this forum. Wishful thinking!

Comment

Working...
                                X