Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pop that was hear around the world

Hi guys,

I am 14 months post-op T8-sacrum/left pelvic fixation and have overall been doing quite well. I work at an active, demanding job, and I swim laps and work out in the gym regularly. I have had minimal back pain, aches and pains that are easily controlled with tylenol and advil. I did have some pain on and off for the last few weeks in my lower back, nothing too out of the ordinary.

Two days ago (Tuesday) I was at work, feeling fine, and I was leaning over just a little to put an EKG electrode on a patient. I felt and heard the loudest pop you have ever heard coming from my lower back/right side, followed by severe pain. The other staff in the room all heard the pop, as did the patient. Apparently after I left the room the patient asked if a circuit breaker for the room had blown, the pop was that loud.

I was taken to the ER where I had lumbar x-rays that cleared the hardware. My husband came and took me home with my new percocet prescription. I was told to rest and use ice. I called my surgeon's office yesterday and talked to the PA, who was able to review the digital x-rays. She thought the x-rays looked ok and thought it could have been my SI joint popping. I do not have an iliac screw on the right, so that seemed like a reasonable possibility. Then she called back later, and my surgeon wants me to come in Tuesday for an additional full-spine x-ray as well as a bone scan to check for subtle or concealed fractures.

I am starting to have a decrease in pain although it is still pretty significant when I move. I am hoping that all will settle down and everything is clear. This whole episode was pretty unexpected and scary.
    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 08-15-2015, 04:02 PM.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Oh my Gayle, that must have been so scary for you. Can't believe it made such a noise that it sounded like a breaker blowing. Tuesday is not far off. I hope everything turns out to be okay and take it easy until then.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hi Gayle...

I've seen several x-rays of people whose screw or rod breaks were almost invisible on X-ray, so wouldn't rule that out yet. Hope whatever it is, the fix is simple.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thaks Elisa and Linda.

Linda, curious if the broken hardware was not really apparent x-ray, how was it detected? My first suspicion was certainly a hardware break due to the loud noise followed by pain.

Thanks,

Gayle
        Gayle, age 50

Comment

In at least one case I know of, it was detected in the OR. I think that in others, it was seen in CTs or other imaging.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Gayle,
            I hope that whatever made the popping noise is minor. Who would think that after 14 months that something could go wrong?
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hey Gayle, hope things turn out OK. What a terrible time of year for things to take a painful turn (not that there's any good time). I'm sure your family will take good care of you while you are figuring this out. Chris
              mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
              Providence night brace, increased to 35*
              Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
              14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
              11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
              Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
              latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
              currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Gayle, so sorry to hear this. Keep your hopes up that it is nothing.

My horse's neck pops are very loud and that is soft tissue. Just sayin'. :-)
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks ladies! I am trying hard not to worry too much--I definitely hurt less today than yesterday which I take as a good sign. I went to the gym and sat in the hot tub, which didn't exactly help but sure felt nice.
                  Gayle, age 50

Comment

Gayle,
                    It sure sounds like a good sign that you hurt less. Hopefully, tomorrow will be less pain than today.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Leah---Read my post on old rods, I was walking and I felt a pop, and I said it was LOUD, but I was alone when it happened. When DR. X-RAY me they compared it to the one from 2 mo. before and they magnified them side by side and you could see the crack. god luck Lu

Comment

Gayle hope you continue feeling better.
                        Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                        Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                        Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                        Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                        photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Gayle,
                          I hope your pop was nothing serious. My body pops all of the time, especially my low back and my hip. Usually there is little or no pain involved, but it sure can be scary at times.
                          Sally
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Gayle,
                            I felt a similar "pop" or "crack" 2 weeks ago when my rod broke. It was loud and I heard and felt it. No pain involved though, until a week later...
                            I certainly hope your hardware is intact. It's good that you are getting a full set of xrays done. I keep reading posts about rods breaking, is there a
                            full moon out or something?
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Gayle

I sure hope this is nothing....be sure to let us know what your surgeon thinks.

There have been 3 posters reporting either rod breakage or loud noises this week. Its been a bad week. Maybe all posties should just call in sick and take a week off, and stop this trend. (smiley face)

I don’t pop anymore at all. I quit soda when I passed my kidney stone.

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X