i have a date...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, Patty.
    You asked yourself, "Why did I do that?" I believe you wanted affirmation that you are doing the right thing. Your husbands friend did give you that, although he also said things that he really doesn't know, like what condition YOU will be in 15 years from now. You also have to remember that he had a different surgery than you are having AND he had it many years ago when the technology wasn't as advanced. Every person is different and every outcome is as unique as the individual. You actually gave him a bit of information that he wasn't aware of about flatback syndrome. So he might think about that even though he seemed to brush it off. You've made this decision for you. You seem to have a wonderful, caring doctor, who is very concerned with allaying your fears. I haven't had surgery, but I can only imagine how I would feel as I know it's looming out there in my future. I hope you get to talk to your doctor and can regain that sense of peace that you've momentarily lost. Best wishes and (((hugs)))!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Patty - it's amazing how many people have such skewed ideas of scoliosis surgery. You've probably done a ton of research, & have way too many people here on the forum who have gone thru such successful surgeries to dwell on other people's lack of knowledge on your situation. You will soon be on the other side and on the way to recovery. Noticed you have a long drive home after you're released from the hospital; ours was 3 hrs home. Don't know what type of vehicle you have, but memory foam topper for the car/truck is a great help; I ordered an extra & cut enough to go across & up the back seat of our truck; 5'8 son was able to sleep & be comfortable most of way home. Couldn't imagine the bumps in the road & turns, etc without it. Best of luck to you through the whole process.
      Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
      Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
      Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
      Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
      photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

thank you everybody. i think i'm feeling better going into this. Tuesday is the big day. And thanks LSKOCH5; i do have a long drive but i think i might break it up into two days, depending on how i feel. will definitely use the foam though!
        30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
        08/03/11 - 54 degrees
        06/2004 - 33 degrees
        Don't like hospitals

Comment

patty22,

I will be thinking of you and jerseyOT on Monday morning! I will be picturing your surgical teams having a great morning and being on the top of their games! You will do fine!

For what it's worth, I think that you are making a good choice. You have significant and documented progression as a young adult. Your curve is large (but probably still quite flexible). Your fusion will stop at L2. You are quite young. I think all of those factors will add up to a VERY successfull outcome. Your restrictions will probably be much less as a young person with a primarily thoracic fusion, too.

All the best,
          Kathy
          Kathy
          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Best of luck to both Patty 22 and jersey0T....will say prayers for you both.

Yes, people outside of this forum really cannot relate to the surgery you are about to have. They haven't been there and do not understand at all. I am not sure what I would have done without this forum and its wonderful members giving me great advice.

Once you are past your surgery (and remember it gets better everyday), and a week or two have gone by, you might fine a memory foam pillow might be best in providing softness and support for the sitting position. I found a pillow like this at Kohls. I have one in each of our cars and am still using it at five months post surgery.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/land...per+Pillow.jsp

There has been a lot of improvement in this surgery since fifteen years ago--so hopefully the long term life with this will be good.

Best wishes!!!
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
            X