Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
    Ed & Linda,
    The way I understand it from Dr. Lenke's office is that after a year, they do not take a CT scan, but "assume" you are fused unless something looks odd in the x-rays. I was just thinking that if I'm not 100% fused, which from what I've read on the forum is normal, that a repetitive movement could break a rod like a paper clip that bends and bends and then breaks. I can believe that this wouldn't happen if you have a solid 100% fusion, but what if it's only about 75% fused at a year?
    Hi Karen....

Think of it as putting 2 pieces of something together with SuperGlue attached to a paper clip vertically on opposite sides. It's probably no more likely to break the paperclips if there's 75% of the surface covered by SuperGlue than if there is 100% coverage.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Hi Karen....

Think of it as putting 2 pieces of something together with SuperGlue attached to a paper clip vertically on opposite sides. It's probably no more likely to break the paperclips if there's 75% of the surface covered by SuperGlue than if there is 100% coverage.

--Linda
      How common is rod breakage of the newer instrumentation? I hate to hear that people who are feeling well a year or more post-op, but then break a rod without having a major car accident or fall. Does that mean that people can feel pretty good for a year or more after their surgery and still have a nonunion area which they were unaware of and it allowed for the rods to break?
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

How common is rod breakage of the newer instrumentation? I hate to hear that people who are feeling well a year or more post-op, but then break a rod without having a major car accident or fall. Does that mean that people can feel pretty good for a year or more after their surgery and still have a nonunion area which they were unaware of and it allowed for the rods to break?
        I'd like to know this as well. It still worries me at 2yrs. 9 months out.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Linda you may be right, there was a weak spot in the old fusion,(he pointed to the spot from a CT SCAN) so he will replace 2 rods and refuse the spot, I was walking when I felt it break. I am taking Vicodon when it's bad. No I do not feel it move, but I do feel like I am a little bent over, at the top of my back, I think if you have something broke it is easy to imagine things

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            I'd like to know this as well. It still worries me at 2yrs. 9 months out.
            I am interested in this as well obviously...I thought I was home free.
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I think it's actually fairly rare. While I think when you get past a year, you're relatively safe, there is still a lot that can happen. I don't think I've ever seen anything published, although there has been at least one study on late onset infections.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

[QUOTE=golfnut;131115] I hate to hear that people who are feeling well a year or more post-op, but then break a rod without having a major car accident or fall. QUOTE]

I have to throw a little extra bonus points in here since its been a bad week.

Banana George was fused in 1954. He will be 97 next month. He had congenital scoliosis.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...eorge%22_Blair

He is a barefoot waterski champion who just wont quit....an inspiration for sure.

Worrying is not going to help things, you get it fixed if it happens, and then you go waterskiing!

How many times do you think he has crashed in the last 56 years waterskiing? Impacts on water at barefoot speeds are not easy to deal with......and he is fused.

If his surgeon only knew.....lol

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks, Ed. I know it is ridiculous to worry about something that may never happen. I sometimes need to be reminded to have a positive attitude.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Whoops !

After reading this week about people having falls, broken rods, etc. I found all your messages racing round in my head this evening as I laid face down on the stone floor in a restaurant after tripping on an uneven floor. I am 2 years post-op (fused T3 to L5) and this was my first mishap. Very scary for the first couple of minutes but it seems to be my knees that have suffered. As I said to the friends who picked me up and took care of me, at least I fell straight! And in case you're wondering, no I hadn't had one Christmas tipple too many

Take care everyone

Vicky

Comment

Working...
                    X