Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any polls on long term post-op pain levels? Eye opening experience today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked 10 years in a free standing surgery center with pain management and 2 years in a large medical center.

What I did see sometimes, over the years, were people with single level-non-scoliosis fusions with issues above and below those single areas in unstable spines.
    Last edited by Karen Ocker; 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I am 25 years post op and I can tell you.....there is pain. If you can google scholarly documents on the long-term effects of scoliosis fusions this will help you. I believe that I would have surgery again....as I had severe s cures. I have degeneratve disk disease which is very common in scoliosis surgery patients as well as arthritis in the spine and hips(also common). My surgery was done at HSS in NYC and it was VERY successful. My rod is still in place and I have been told recently by another orthopedic dr. that my back looks "beautiful" and I am good shape.....for a scoliosis patient. I am 40 years old and had three children...I believe that carrying the babies were what did me in! LOL...seriously though we can do most things and I am not trying to scare you but I feel like people should understand that surgery does not necessarily mean pain free for life.

Comment

SMP,

Thanks for your personal account. We don't get many 25-year fusion patients posting. Do you think you would have been better off without the surgery? Did you really have a choice? You must have been a teenager.

Getting fused next month...wondering about all these issues.

Thanks,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
        X