Dr. Kiester and the MAGEC system continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Kiester and the MAGEC system continued

Since the other interesting thread on this MAGEC system is now closed, we will continue the discussion here. Please no trolls and off topic posts! Just go away. If you're not interested in this, go discuss what you want elsewhere. Here is a link to that original thread in case it gets buried in off topic nonsense posts.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...formity-System

"Ellipse has developed a truly remarkable technology that will dramatically advance the treatment of spinal deformity and significantly improve the otherwise traumatic experience these children currently endure. The MAGEC System has exceeded my expectations for what I had hoped to someday witness during my clinical research career," said Principal Investigator Dr. Behrooz Akbarnia, Past President of the Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) and Medical Director at the San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders, La Jolla, Calif. He also is a Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics at the University of California San Diego. Dr. Akbarnia is the recipient of the prestigious 'Walter P. Blount Humanitarian Award' from the Scoliosis Research Society for his many important contributions to the field of spine surgery.

Please don't miss Dr. Kiester's interview with Dingo at that link. It is very interesting.

Another good find BalletMom!

The MAGEC system is clearly doing something. I can't wait until the data is released.

Comment

I believe that Magec may be seen as the inflexion point of the surgeons point of view. It seems that they now are believing that stretching the spine and holding it straight (at least in the way Magec does it) while doing some 'excersises' might be the cure.

Comment

Here's info about the next study to go on in the UK. This study has not recruited the participants yet if anyone is interested in contacting the people involved.

Contacts and Locations

Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01362881

Locations
        United Kingdom
        Oxford Radicliffe Hospitals NHS Trust
        Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom, OX3 7LD

Sponsors and Collaborators
        Surgi C Limited
        Investigators
        Principal Investigator: Colin Nnadi Consultant Surgeon

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01362881

Comment

http://www.ellipse-tech.com/?q=imv2

At the link is an amazing video that shows the lengthening of the MAGEC rod in a young child. Absolutely phenomenal that this could be done instead of a major surgery and recovery period.

Kudos to Dr. Kiester and Ellipse.

Comment

Why start this thread again BalletMom when it caused so much controversy before. What worries me is the young minds who read this. Why not leave well enough alone, I am disgusted with the video.

Watching that little girl have such an archaic thing done absolutely gave me the Horrors. I do not like people who come on here and continually make trouble, and please do not infer that I do, as that is just so far from the truth.

I apologise Linda and everyone else for speaking this way, but this time I just had to say something, trouble is I have given them what they wanted.

Lorraine
            Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
            Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorraine 1966 View Post
              Why start this thread again BalletMom when it caused so much controversy before. What worries me is the young minds who read this. Why not leave well enough alone, I am disgusted with the video.

Watching that little girl have such an archaic thing done absolutely gave me the Horrors. I do not like people who come on here and continually make trouble, and please do not infer that I do, as that is just so far from the truth.

I apologise Linda and everyone else for speaking this way, but this time I just had to say something, trouble is I have given them what they wanted.

Lorraine
              Archaic? Really? This is the technology of the future....not from the past. It's the repeated surgeries from regular growth rods that will be archaic if what the major orthopedic surgeons are saying turns out over time and in greater numbers. Major surgeries every six months with two months recovery and surgical complications being the norm? Versus a girl sitting in her doctor's office with no problem or pain being adjusted every month?

Really.

And even better, being able to remove the rod at the end of growth and having a fully mobile spine? Unbelievable really.
              Last edited by Ballet Mom; 12-20-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

First MAGEC system implantations in United States

The first two patients in the United States have been implanted with the MAGEC system on compassionate grounds at Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/surgeo...110000573.html

SAN DIEGO, May 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In a revolutionary treatment for early-onset scoliosis (EOS), a team of surgeons implanted adjustable growing rods in two children from California. The pioneering surgeries — the first ever in the United States — were performed on May 7th at Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted Compassionate Use approval to use the MAGEC™ (MAGnetic Expansion Control) System, developed by Ellipse Technologies, Inc., for these two patients.

To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/61604-rad...-scoliosis-eos

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130508/MM09189)

Dr. Behrooz A. Akbarnia, a world-renowned pioneer in advanced treatments for scoliosis in young children, led the surgeries. Dr. Akbarnia is Medical Director of the San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders and Clinical Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at University of California, San Diego. Orthopedic surgeons Dr. Burt Yaszay and Dr. Gregory Mundis, who are also members of the early-onset scoliosis program at Rady Children's Hospital, participated in the procedures.

EOS is a rare condition that affects a small population of very young children. If not corrected, EOS can eventually interfere with lung function and growth and can be fatal. Current treatments for EOS are limited. Young patients implanted with traditional growing rods that are used today may undergo up to two surgeries per year for several years.

The magnetic growing rods are attached to one or both sides of the spine. Following surgery, these rods can be lengthened non-invasively as the child grows using an external remote controller. Rare earth magnets inside the rods communicate with the External Remote Controller (ERC) and allow physicians to modify the length of the rods without surgery. While the MAGEC System has not been approved for commercial distribution in the United States, Ellipse has a pending Humanitarian Device Exemption application under review and is working closely with the FDA through the approval process.

"This technology is one of the most significant advances in the treatment of this condition," said Dr. Akbarnia. "Now children won't have to suffer the stress and physical trauma of repeated open surgeries every six months for multiple years. The lives of children suffering from EOS will be significantly improved with this device."

Nine-year-old Anthony Wainess from Chino Hills, Calif., was the first to undergo the surgery. Anthony was diagnosed with EOS at 18 months of age. His scoliosis eventually progressed to a severe curvature that exceeded 100 degrees.

"The prospect of Anthony going through repeated surgeries was just impossible to bear," said Steven Wainess, Anthony's father. "Now I can see a path for my son in how to best treat his condition."

Five-year-old Tomas (Tommy) Loredo from Modesto, Calif., had the magnetic growing rods implanted later the same day. Tommy is medically fragile due to a neuromuscular disorder, and he is more susceptible to severe complications from anesthesia. This device is especially important to reduce the number of repeat surgeries for lengthening.

"It's a miracle to hear that the FDA has approved this surgery for Compassionate Use," said Tommy's mother, Rachel Thomas. "Most people cannot imagine the burden of treating this condition. The idea that Tommy will no longer be confined to wearing body casts is extraordinary."

"After many years of development, it is extremely gratifying to see this revolutionary product being used in the United States," said Ed Roschak, Chief Executive Officer of Ellipse. "MAGEC utilizes the Ellipse non-invasive remote control technology to vastly improve treatments and outcomes for children suffering with EOS. Our hope is that in the near future, MAGEC will be widely available in the United States to children like Anthony and Tommy."

Comment

MAGEC system AIS Study

The MAGEC system is also being studied for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis also at this time in Finland, Hong Kong and Italy.

The purpose of this study is to collect data on the use of the Ellipse MAGEC System to treat patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) who have failed external brace therapy.

Principal Investigator: Behrooz Akbarnia, MD San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01633931

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                    The MAGEC system is also being studied for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis also at this time in Finland, Hong Kong and Italy.

The purpose of this study is to collect data on the use of the Ellipse MAGEC System to treat patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) who have failed external brace therapy.

Principal Investigator: Behrooz Akbarnia, MD San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01633931
                    If Torso rotation doesn't hold Scott's curve over the next few years that's what I'm going to look into. Thanks for posting the link!

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                      If Torso rotation doesn't hold Scott's curve over the next few years that's what I'm going to look into. Thanks for posting the link!
                      I would look into it too if I was still involved in that stage of scoliosis management. I'd make sure that they're actually removing the rod system at the end of growth and not fusing the spine at the end of treatment before I did anything for older kids that aren't using the system as growth rods for EOS without the need for repeat surgeries. Need to see some actual end of treatment results first.

But in theory, it sounds remarkable.

If anyone missed the links to the video of the adorable kids and a picture of the before and after spine with the system in place, here is a link with the video links on the right. The elimination of the multiple spine surgeries for these kids is absolutely phenomenal. I'm thrilled for them.

http://www.multivu.com/mnr/61604-rad...-scoliosis-eos

Comment

Certainly it would be great if roads are removed and the spine remains straight by itself! I believe it would imply that the relaxing components (muscles, ligaments, facias..) principle followed by many alternative treatments (stretching its) and the “redirector growing principle” followed by braces would be enough. Vbs cannot prove it entirely since staples remains inside as I know.
                        I believe it should encourage someone to does a super brace helping to hold the spine straight allowing movement and without the risks rigid braces seems to has.
                        Since it seems that Magec cannot be used in adults and I believe those principles also works in adults (in a slow and more limited way) that super brace might helps adults too.

Comment

First MAGEC magnetic growing rod implant patient in U.S.

Hi,
                          I'm Steve Wainess, father of 9 year old Anthony Wainess, who became the first person in the U.S. to have Ellipse Technology's MAGEC magnetic growing rods implanted on May 7, 2013. At the time of the surgery, Anthony's curvature was 105 degrees. Thank you to Ballet Mom for her posts regarding Anthony and the MAGEC rods. Although I am a new member on NSF's forum, I have been following many NSF threads for years. I don't want to hijack or confuse this thread, so I will soon start a separate thread to discuss Anthony's journey. If anyone has a question regarding the MAGEC rods in the meanwhile, I am more than happy to discuss. Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony's Dad View Post
                            Hi,
                            I'm Steve Wainess, father of 9 year old Anthony Wainess, who became the first person in the U.S. to have Ellipse Technology's MAGEC magnetic growing rods implanted on May 7, 2013. At the time of the surgery, Anthony's curvature was 105 degrees. Thank you to Ballet Mom for her posts regarding Anthony and the MAGEC rods. Although I am a new member on NSF's forum, I have been following many NSF threads for years. I don't want to hijack or confuse this thread, so I will soon start a separate thread to discuss Anthony's journey. If anyone has a question regarding the MAGEC rods in the meanwhile, I am more than happy to discuss. Steve
                            Think you mean 2012.
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Anthony Wainess' Surgery on May 7, 2013

Hi Linda,

You are mistaken. Anthony Wainess' surgery took place on May 7, 2013. Feel free to Google "Anthony Wainess" and you shall see hundreds of hits. Or click on the links provided by Ballet Mom. There was a press conference at Rady Children's Hospital San Diego on May 8, 2013. In fact, news reports regarding Anthony's breakthrough surgery reached more than 30 countries last month! Steve Wainess

Comment

Working...
                              X