Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony's Dad View Post
    Hi Linda,

You are mistaken. Anthony Wainess' surgery took place on May 7, 2013. Feel free to Google "Anthony Wainess" and you shall see hundreds of hits. Or click on the links provided by Ballet Mom. There was a press conference at Rady Children's Hospital San Diego on May 8, 2013. In fact, news reports regarding Anthony's breakthrough surgery reached more than 30 countries last month! Steve Wainess
    Hi Steve,

Hasn't MAGEC been used in Europe before it was used in the US? If so, wasn't the breakthrough in Europe and NOT in the US?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony's Dad View Post
      Hi,
      I'm Steve Wainess, father of 9 year old Anthony Wainess, who became the first person in the U.S. to have Ellipse Technology's MAGEC magnetic growing rods implanted on May 7, 2013. At the time of the surgery, Anthony's curvature was 105 degrees. Thank you to Ballet Mom for her posts regarding Anthony and the MAGEC rods. Although I am a new member on NSF's forum, I have been following many NSF threads for years. I don't want to hijack or confuse this thread, so I will soon start a separate thread to discuss Anthony's journey. If anyone has a question regarding the MAGEC rods in the meanwhile, I am more than happy to discuss. Steve
      Hi Steve,

Please ignore the negative energy that emanates from this board. I'm excited to read more. Let us know how this works for Anthony! I wish the best for you and your son!
      Last edited by Dingo; 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

All I have to say is that this is an incredible breakthrough in the treatment of scoliosis!

Steve and Anthony, I wish you all the best. This is just wonderful news for your son! He's a really cute kid and seems to have a really positive attitude. He looked like he was so excited in the video. I hope he's healed well from the surgery. I can't say enough. I hope it works and have faith that it will. I'm beyond words and am so thankful that your son was able to have this surgery along with that other little boy. Yes, yes, yes, please keep us updated! Hugs to your little one!

If these are truly successful it will change the way scoliosis is treated in children forever.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

There are a handful of kids here in the UK who have MAGEC rods as it was trialled here by Hilali Noordeen, one of our country's top scoliosis surgeons. Incidentally, he is based at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital - the country's top centre for scoliosis patients - where Min Mehta, who developed serial EDF casting for infants was also based. That treatment made its way over to the US and is very successfully curing scoliosis in infants there, largely due to the fantastic work of Heather Hyatt Montana of the Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Programme.

It is brilliant news that MAGEC has reached the US too and hopefully many more children will benefit. We also have a very interesting system that has been developed by UK surgeon Evan Davies, called Davies Dominoes, which don't even require magnetic adjustment - they slide and grow with the child. These are being trialled by his patients now. It is possible that these could work in adolescents too; maybe that's something that will be thought about in the future.

When growth rods first came out I was excited, because I grew up (diagnosed at the age of 6 months with - 62/40+ degree double curve) wearing heavy serial casts and Milwaukee braces for the first ten years of my life. The growth rods, despite requiring multiple small surgeries, were a great step forward from that. Now things just get better and better, and we should all be excited by innovations such as MAGEC and Davies Dominoes :smile:

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
            There are a handful of kids here in the UK who have MAGEC rods as it was trialled here by Hilali Noordeen, one of our country's top scoliosis surgeons. Incidentally, he is based at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital - the country's top centre for scoliosis patients - where Min Mehta, who developed serial EDF casting for infants was also based. That treatment made its way over to the US and is very successfully curing scoliosis in infants there, largely due to the fantastic work of Heather Hyatt Montana of the Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Programme.

It is brilliant news that MAGEC has reached the US too and hopefully many more children will benefit. We also have a very interesting system that has been developed by UK surgeon Evan Davies, called Davies Dominoes, which don't even require magnetic adjustment - they slide and grow with the child. These are being trialled by his patients now. It is possible that these could work in adolescents too; maybe that's something that will be thought about in the future.

When growth rods first came out I was excited, because I grew up (diagnosed at the age of 6 months with - 62/40+ degree double curve) wearing heavy serial casts and Milwaukee braces for the first ten years of my life. The growth rods, despite requiring multiple small surgeries, were a great step forward from that. Now things just get better and better, and we should all be excited by innovations such as MAGEC and Davies Dominoes :smile:
            Toni, thanks for that interesting post. I recalled that it was pioneered in Europe and I think those guys (Noordeen) should get credit they deserve. Akbarnia deserves plenty of credit also for initiating the procedure in the US.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Steve and Anthony

Congratulations!

I almost don’t know what to say. I also was a 9 yr old blond haired boy with scoliosis at one point......that was a long time ago. Now my hair is turning grey. (smiley face)

The last 45 years is a long story.....and I know that this young man is an extremely special person.....(super huge smiley face)

I was one who waited for technology to proceed...... I waited 34 years till I couldn’t take it anymore, scoliosis almost killed me. Seeing this happen for me is miraculous, its beyond words......it provides hope, not just for Anthony, for all of us.

It would be best for you to start your own thread. It would be a major contribution to the scoliosis community.

How is Anthony adapting right now?

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment