Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone fused all the way down to their Sacrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fused all the way down to their Sacrum?

I'm trying to find out from anyone how they're doing after having spinal fusion all the way to their Sacrum: Especially years after the surgery. Are you having pain, are you limited in daily activities, can you still exercise?

I think everyone's different, but most people fused to sacrum seem to be doing really well on this forum. I'm three years out in March and have no pain. The only thing I am not allowed to do is run or lift heavy weights. Yes, exercising is no problem at all.
    Last edited by JenniferG; 12-09-2011, 11:05 PM.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hello "scoliosisfamily" and welcome to the forum. You will find alot of great information, advice and support from the members on this site. It's wonderful and we're all here to help each other through this! PS: I just sent you a Private Message.
      1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
      Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
      Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
      Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
      http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
      http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
      http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
      www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I am fused T-4 to the sacrum and have always had a very active life mainly due to little pain from my scoliosis other than when I needed to stand for a long period of time. I am almost a year post-op at age 61 and feel like I can do just about anything that I could want to do. I walk several miles each day and go to water aerobics if I'm not substitue teaching. I have returned to tap dancing and hope to get permission to return to golf in January when I see Dr. Lenke for my year check-up. The fusion to my sacrum has not disabled me at all! I feel like my future is much brighter because I had the surgery.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all for your feedback. My concern is about the "years after" effect. When I had my fusion done in 1993 I felt amazing for about 8 years or so. Then I started having more and more muscle pain, spasms, lower back pain, and neck and shoulder issues (sleepless nights)... I might need more fusion all the way down to the sacrum since the lower vertebrae have taken all the stress and pressure for almost 20 years. They're shot. Tuesday's MRI will show what kind of damage I have in that area.
          Wishing you all happy holidays, and a healthy new year!

Comment

Originally posted by scoliosisfamily View Post
            Thank you all for your feedback. My concern is about the "years after" effect. When I had my fusion done in 1993 I felt amazing for about 8 years or so. Then I started having more and more muscle pain, spasms, lower back pain, and neck and shoulder issues (sleepless nights)... I might need more fusion all the way down to the sacrum since the lower vertebrae have taken all the stress and pressure for almost 20 years. They're shot. Tuesday's MRI will show what kind of damage I have in that area.
            Wishing you all happy holidays, and a healthy new year!
            Hi...

I was fused to the sacrum in January, after having surgery originally in 1993. I'm very glad I had the revision surgery. Only time will tell if I'll have more issues in the future, but for now, it was the right decision.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X