No announcement yet.

Surfing for Scoliosis: The Quality of Information Online: Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was one of the first articles I read when I began my scoliosis search just over one year ago. The whole site freaked me out so bad I started crying and I emailed it to my husband and he got really freaked out too. It was around that time that I found this forum and had help putting things into perspective. I just think it's so wrong to resort to these kinds of scare tactics. Makes me furious actually.

http://www.scoliosiscorrectioncenter...toldtruth.html
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Take a look at this blog, Elisa - someone has taken that article and picked it apart. Josh Woggon, who originally wrote it, actually turned up on Facebook and apologised for it, saying that he wrote it many years ago when he didn't know much about scoliosis. This hadn't stopped his fellow chiropractors from passing it around on their own websites though.

Scoliosistruth.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Well, maybe he needs to be neutered. Or neutered again as I considered doing for one of my boy pigs. :-)
        Ouch! Sharon, please be sensitive to the men in here!
        07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
        11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
        05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
        12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
        05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
          This was one of the first articles I read when I began my scoliosis search just over one year ago. The whole site freaked me out so bad I started crying and I emailed it to my husband and he got really freaked out too. It was around that time that I found this forum and had help putting things into perspective. I just think it's so wrong to resort to these kinds of scare tactics. Makes me furious actually.

http://www.scoliosiscorrectioncenter...toldtruth.html
          Wow, they've really updated their cited articles since I last visited their site! When I looked at it for the first time, they were citing articles from the 40's, 50's, and 60's! This must make them more credible, NOT. As a layperson, just looking at "how" they did those measurements on the x-rays, you can clearly see NO improvement, but look at the lines they draw. The lines change to reflect improvement, but the spine does not. Sad.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
            Ouch! Sharon, please be sensitive to the men in here!
            Oh hey sorry, Tom! The problem went away as his blood cleared of the hormones.

I am not breeding guinea pigs whether they want to or not and whether they can or not even! There are thousands and thousands of pigs in animal shelters and rodent rescues. I take as many as I can on a continuing basis because I enjoy them.

Adopt, don't shop. :-)
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
              Wow, they've really updated their cited articles since I last visited their site! When I looked at it for the first time, they were citing articles from the 40's, 50's, and 60's! This must make them more credible, NOT. As a layperson, just looking at "how" they did those measurements on the x-rays, you can clearly see NO improvement, but look at the lines they draw. The lines change to reflect improvement, but the spine does not. Sad.
              That is exactly what was done in Woggon's original paper. The only change was how they drew the lines on BOTH the before and after films. I posted it while back.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                The problem went away as his blood cleared of the hormones.
                Phew (from the president of the Save Those Bollocks society)!

I take as many as I can on a continuing basis because I enjoy them.
                Like it. We've actually had complaints from local farmers that my kids steal lambs! My kids save lambs from foxes, hawks, falcons and farmers who slice them up when they lose their mothers (e., stuck in brambles and left).
                07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
                11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
                05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
                12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
                05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

I feel really sorry for the people who fall for that stuff. Although, I can say that I was put through some very bizzarre treatments as a teen. The exercises given to me by the scoliosis clinic PT's were actually harmful to my particular curve. They had blanket exercises for everyone, not individual care. They also had me in cervical traction. Another doctor, who was a D.O. put me through chiro adjustments and then hooked me up to electrical muscle stimulators. He thought he would cure me, get published and get rich off of me. He also told me that I might not be able to have kids because of my tilted pelvis. That made me instantly burst into tears. What the heck? I delivered my kids just fine and IF I had pelvic deformities, which I don't, they can always do c-sections. But, of course, he didn't even tell me that. I'll tell you I'm glad we're not still in the 80's mode of treatment. I wish some people (meaning health care providers) would get out of that mindset!
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
                    Take a look at this blog, Elisa - someone has taken that article and picked it apart. Josh Woggon, who originally wrote it, actually turned up on Facebook and apologised for it, saying that he wrote it many years ago when he didn't know much about scoliosis. This hadn't stopped his fellow chiropractors from passing it around on their own websites though.

Scoliosistruth.blogspot.com
                    That's a very good rebuttal. Too bad I didn't get a chance to read it a year ago when I was falling to pieces while my kid was rapidly turning into a pretzel and I didn't know which end was up. It's also too bad that, that piece 'o' crap is still circulating out there is one of the sites that pops up when you first search scoliosis. AND to think it's the work of a stinkin' chiropractor!! Shame on them. Now, I believe chiropractors have their place and I happen to have a friend who is one but my goodness, he doesn't say he's an authority on scoliosis. Actually, I took my son to a chiro here in CR and when he looked at my son's back, he just about fainted and told me that I needed to be a squeaky wheel and get on the case of BC Children's Hospital. I appreciated his honesty. He did do some gentle maneuvers on him for a while before his surgery which seemed to help with his muscle tightness but he knew he could not fix his spine.
                    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I think its immoral and maybe just downright criminal to do that.
                      I mean really isnt is bad enuff as a shock to deal with and cope with when you find out you've been diagnosed then to have these sheisters prey on your misfortune. I'll see that theres a fair playing field before I'm done. No sympathy for these people at all.
                      - Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X