Feel like crying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kristy...

Sorry about the news, and about the brace. Hope it does the trick. The 3 months will be over before you know it.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Kristy--
      I feel horrible for you. That is awful. I don't know if I understand the brace either other than just to "hold" you together for a time. Will they then decide if it's OK or more surgery?? Hang in there. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

It's actually possible to fuse an area, even with a broken rod, but not without keeping the area immobile.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I feel so sorry for you. I will keep you in my prayers
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thank you all for your support; I've been so upset the last few days even though I know many of you are going through far worse than me.
            I have an appointment with my actual surgeon on Monday 12/19 so that I can address my many questions and concerns. I too have had questions
            on the use of the brace. I understand the temporary use of it for support. I can feel the increasing pressure in my lumbar area every day and I worry about the increasing pressure on the other rod. Will it break too?
            There is so much movement of the rod and it also feels like movement in the pelvic screws. I don't see how that won't have to be fixed surgically.
            I am also having pain in my neck. In no way do I want to return to the OR, I just don't know how it can be avoided. We shall see ;-)
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Kristy,

I just wanted to send you a bunch of ((Hugs)).

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hugs from me as well
                Melissa

Comment

Kristy,
                  I am so sorry that this has happened. I truly feel bad for you. I hope your revision will give you relief.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Keeping you in my thoughts. Are they going to schedule a cervical MRI or just the EMG? I'm sorry about the neck pain, I can truly empathize with you there. I certainly hope that your pelvic bolts aren't loose. I'm wondering if, like Linda says, a fusion can happen with the broken rod IF you are immobilized, that they aren't trying their best to keep you out of the OR right now to see if it works. I'm wondering if they can leave the broken rod in if fusion occurs, or if not, maybe a way easier surgery to remove it than to replace it? I don't know any of this stuff as I haven't had surgery. That's why all the questions and stuff. But I really do hope that this will be an easier fix than your surgery. I feel really bad when I see this happen to people and I don't know what to say to make anyone feel better. Just know that there are many of us out here thinking of you.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Another big crack today ;-(

Was at work today...I was leaning slightly to put something into a sharps container on the wall and I felt a BIG CRACK again. OMG, that feeling
                      just goes right through you and stops you in your tracks. I have a feeling that my other rod has broken now. It was just a matter of time.
                      If one rod was already broken, that is alot of pressure on one rod to support the whole construct. I haven't told anyone yet, not even my
                      husband. I didn't want to tell anyone at work because they would have made me go to ER. I have to work, and am so worried about having to
                      be off work. As of now, I have an EMG scheduled for all 4 limbs, and an MRI of my neck, but not till Jan 9. And possibly a CT myelogram to
                      see if there is an area of non-fusion. One more day at work, and then a 3 day weekend to rest and relax!
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                        Was at work today...I was leaning slightly to put something into a sharps container on the wall and I felt a BIG CRACK again. OMG, that feeling
                        just goes right through you and stops you in your tracks. I have a feeling that my other rod has broken now. It was just a matter of time.
                        If one rod was already broken, that is alot of pressure on one rod to support the whole construct. I haven't told anyone yet, not even my
                        husband. I didn't want to tell anyone at work because they would have made me go to ER. I have to work, and am so worried about having to
                        be off work. As of now, I have an EMG scheduled for all 4 limbs, and an MRI of my neck, but not till Jan 9. And possibly a CT myelogram to
                        see if there is an area of non-fusion. One more day at work, and then a 3 day weekend to rest and relax!
                        I am so sorry for you
                        Melissa

Comment

Hi Kristy...

I'm so sorry... especially that you don't have anyone in whom you can entrust the news. I'm sure it all feels overwhelming, but I think you'll find that the fix is pretty easy, relative to what you've already been through.

Regards,
                          Linda

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this! It seems like more and more are having this issue. It makes me wonder if it is something with the "new" instrumentation. Please take care of yourself. If you get into pain, please, please tell someone. Forcing yourself to work isn't worth it if there is risk involved. I know we all have bills to pay, but we seem to keep going... Take Care.
                            Last edited by rohrer01; 12-22-2011, 10:59 PM.
                            Be happy!
                            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

Kristy,
                              I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. Hopefully, Linda is right and that it will be a relatively simple procedure to correct the broken rods. I hope you can get things taken care of soon.
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Wow Kristy,

I don’t know what to say and feel pretty bad about this. Your going to have to say something, let everyone know.

Try not to worry too much

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X