Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feel like crying

Hi Kristy...

Sorry about the news, and about the brace. Hope it does the trick. The 3 months will be over before you know it.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Kristy--
    I feel horrible for you. That is awful. I don't know if I understand the brace either other than just to "hold" you together for a time. Will they then decide if it's OK or more surgery?? Hang in there. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

It's actually possible to fuse an area, even with a broken rod, but not without keeping the area immobile.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

I feel so sorry for you. I will keep you in my prayers
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

Thank you all for your support; I've been so upset the last few days even though I know many of you are going through far worse than me.
    I have an appointment with my actual surgeon on Monday 12/19 so that I can address my many questions and concerns. I too have had questions
    on the use of the brace. I understand the temporary use of it for support. I can feel the increasing pressure in my lumbar area every day and I worry about the increasing pressure on the other rod. Will it break too?
    There is so much movement of the rod and it also feels like movement in the pelvic screws. I don't see how that won't have to be fixed surgically.
    I am also having pain in my neck. In no way do I want to return to the OR, I just don't know how it can be avoided. We shall see ;-)
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Kristy,

I just wanted to send you a bunch of ((Hugs)).

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Hugs from me as well
    Melissa

Kristy,
    I am so sorry that this has happened. I truly feel bad for you. I hope your revision will give you relief.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Keeping you in my thoughts. Are they going to schedule a cervical MRI or just the EMG? I'm sorry about the neck pain, I can truly empathize with you there. I certainly hope that your pelvic bolts aren't loose. I'm wondering if, like Linda says, a fusion can happen with the broken rod IF you are immobilized, that they aren't trying their best to keep you out of the OR right now to see if it works. I'm wondering if they can leave the broken rod in if fusion occurs, or if not, maybe a way easier surgery to remove it than to replace it? I don't know any of this stuff as I haven't had surgery. That's why all the questions and stuff. But I really do hope that this will be an easier fix than your surgery. I feel really bad when I see this happen to people and I don't know what to say to make anyone feel better. Just know that there are many of us out here thinking of you.

Angry Another big crack today ;-(

Was at work today...I was leaning slightly to put something into a sharps container on the wall and I felt a BIG CRACK again. OMG, that feeling
    just goes right through you and stops you in your tracks. I have a feeling that my other rod has broken now. It was just a matter of time.
    If one rod was already broken, that is alot of pressure on one rod to support the whole construct. I haven't told anyone yet, not even my
    husband. I didn't want to tell anyone at work because they would have made me go to ER. I have to work, and am so worried about having to
    be off work. As of now, I have an EMG scheduled for all 4 limbs, and an MRI of my neck, but not till Jan 9. And possibly a CT myelogram to
    see if there is an area of non-fusion. One more day at work, and then a 3 day weekend to rest and relax!
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Quote Originally Posted by naptown78 View Post
    Was at work today...I was leaning slightly to put something into a sharps container on the wall and I felt a BIG CRACK again. OMG, that feeling
    just goes right through you and stops you in your tracks. I have a feeling that my other rod has broken now. It was just a matter of time.
    If one rod was already broken, that is alot of pressure on one rod to support the whole construct. I haven't told anyone yet, not even my
    husband. I didn't want to tell anyone at work because they would have made me go to ER. I have to work, and am so worried about having to
    be off work. As of now, I have an EMG scheduled for all 4 limbs, and an MRI of my neck, but not till Jan 9. And possibly a CT myelogram to
    see if there is an area of non-fusion. One more day at work, and then a 3 day weekend to rest and relax!
    I am so sorry for you
    Melissa

Hi Kristy...

I'm so sorry... especially that you don't have anyone in whom you can entrust the news. I'm sure it all feels overwhelming, but I think you'll find that the fix is pretty easy, relative to what you've already been through.

Regards,
    Linda

I am so sorry to hear this! It seems like more and more are having this issue. It makes me wonder if it is something with the "new" instrumentation. Please take care of yourself. If you get into pain, please, please tell someone. Forcing yourself to work isn't worth it if there is risk involved. I know we all have bills to pay, but we seem to keep going... Take Care.
    Last edited by rohrer01; 12-22-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Kristy,
    I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. Hopefully, Linda is right and that it will be a relatively simple procedure to correct the broken rods. I hope you can get things taken care of soon.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Wow Kristy,

I donít know what to say and feel pretty bad about this. Your going to have to say something, let everyone know.

Try not to worry too much

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258