Feel like crying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kristy,

I am so sorry to hear of this--I truly understand the pressure to work. But please, tell your husband and your family! This is not your fault, and you will get through this rough patch, too. You should call and notify your surgeon, too, in case he wants different imaging.

Your scoliosis family here is thinking of you and we are all here to listen.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Kristy,

I am so sorry this happened. I wish you would at least tell your husband.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I know that it is hard to do but I think that you should tell your husband
        Last edited by mabeckoff; 12-23-2011, 02:00 PM.
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Kristy,
          I am so sorry also. You have lots of friends here all pulling for you. I will be thinking of you and wish you the best. Try to enjoy the holidays. I know it's hard with all of this hanging over you.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

i am so sorry to read that it seems the other rod has broken too...
            i understand having to work...but i am so worried about you doing your job
            with broken rods...and i fear the pain will just be too much!

am wondering if you could apply for disability....??
            IF that is an option, the sooner the better...
            the process can take a while....
            do you have any friends or relatives who are lawyers, who check it out for you?
            what about a union rep at work?...it could be looked into confidentially...
            i am just trying to think of worst case possibilities...

are you taking meds for the pain...?

hope it feels a little better when you are resting....
            jess

Comment

I got through work today, luckily it was a light day and I didn't do much. But upon going home, I quickly deteriorated and I now can hardly stand or
              walk. My stability is very weak. When I bend in the slightest, my spine wants to collapse. I did notify my surgeon's office. I'm not sure I will be
              able to work next week...I work in a very busy clinic and I can barely move. Thank you all for your support and wise words...I've been in tears
              since I got home and feel a little scared. If both of the rods are broken, which I believe they are, and there is an area of non-fusion, could my
              backbone actually break?
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hi Kristy,

I am so sorry for you. Your backbone will not break. Fusion is meant to eliminate the moveable joints between the vertebrae and fuse that area into one solid, immoveable piece of bone. Non-union means that instead of that one area fusing over with bone, instead it healed over with just scar tissue, which allows some movement there (where there used to be movement, at the disc, if it wasn't removed).

I am so sorry this is happening right now, over the holidays, when it is probably difficult to reach the surgeon. I would strongly suggest that you plan to stay home for at least a few days next week, if you are still in such pain. I understand how difficult it is, and the pressures to go to work, but right now what your body needs is to rest and get your pain under control until a plan is formed to fix and stabilize that area. How is your husband taking the news?

Hugs to you, please keep us posted. We are here for you.
                Gayle, age 50
                Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Well I had an appt with my surgeon today...and its confirmed. I now have 2 broken rods. It's a little eery looking at the xray, I am already tipping to the right. I've lost my balancing ability. He thinks there is an area of non-
                  fusion but will need a CT next week to examine the area more closely. He wants to schedule surgery to repair
                  the rods, and fuse the non-fused area. Hopefully there won't be anything else broken in there. Right now I
                  am wearing my brace 24/7 because it helps with pain, and I feel so unstable. And have gone back to using
                  a cane. I can't believe how fast this has happened. Just a month ago, I was traveling alone to Florida on
                  Thanksgiving and lugging suitcases around in the airport.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

No doubt it's a shock and a huge disappointment. But it sounds like he's not going to waste time getting you fixed Kristy. Sorry you have to go through this.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Kristy,

You are in my prayers

At least, your surgeon is quickly moving ahead to get you fixed. Did he give you anything for your pain? Did you stop working?
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Kristy--
                        I'm so sorry to hear this. I was wondering the same ?'s Melissa had. I hope this is taken care of for you as soon as possible. It has to be so discouraging but realizing you have to get it fixed you have to just go forward. Sure thinking of you and praying for a rapid fix and recovery. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Kristy,
                          Like everyone else, I am so sorry to hear of this. I am hoping that you can get the rods repaired soon and have a quick recovery.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thinking of you from Australia

Hi Naptown,

Hang in there, at least you know now what you are dealing with. You have probably been through the worst now and you know you can get better. Unfortunately you have had to be even more patient than most of us. Look after yourself, you don't deserve this. I think it's hard that life isn't fair, but it will get better because your surgeon can see what the problem is.
                            Kelly
                            Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
                            49 yrs
                            55 deg thorocolumbar
                            Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Hi,
                              I just needed to stop by on here and tell you that I'm thinking of you. I hated to read of the problem you are having. I can only imagine how scared you are right now. (especially when you noticed the problem) You have been through too much already and have felt how good it is to be free to live your life without all the suffering to deal with. I guess you just have to stay strong and have faith that this will just be a small bump in the road of huge pot holes you've had to deal with in the past. I am looking at a third revision as soon as I get through with a few months of Forteo.(bone building drug). I know how bad I want my life back. And I know how worried you must be, as you have had a taste of GOOD quality of life. And it has to feel so good~~you'll get it back! Hang in there~~~ and keep us posted. boomer
                              Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                              Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                              This started adult onset scoliosis
                              July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                              Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                              Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                              May 30th 2013 revision
                              May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                              May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Kristy,

At least you know what the problem is. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                                X