Feel like crying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel like crying

Things have been going so well for me since my revision in March 2010...no pain, back to work, living my life...
    Then on Thanksgiving morning, I woke up and my left arm and thumb were numb. I thought I had slept on it wrong, but no. It's been 12 days and no change. My thumb has gotten number in fact. My whole arm isn't numb, just feels numb along the inner aspect of my forearm.
    Then...I was in bed a few days later, stretching like we all do in the morning, and I hear and feel a big CRACK. At first I thought it was my bones, but a couple of days later, I started feeling my rod(s) move when I was walking. Very disconcerting. So I called my surgeon's office and will be evaluated tomorrow morning along with xrays. Throughout the day today at work, my back has become painful, and I am having alot of trouble doing any lifting at all. My purse even feels heavy to me. I feel so discouraged because I thought I was done with all this. Ugh.
    Last edited by naptown78; 12-12-2011, 08:48 PM.
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

I am so sorry to hear of your problems. Please keep us informed
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I'm so sorry honey. Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking about you

Comment

I could cry for you Kristy. Thank goodness you don't have to wait long for evaluation. Good luck!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm really sorry about all this. Is your back hurting up high? I only ask because I wonder if it is related to your arm/thumb. I hope you can find out soon. I probably don't dare say (broken rod) as that is the last thing you want to hear. Let's hope it's not and is something easier to deal with. Gentle (((hugs)))
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Kristy,
            Oh no, I hope that you will get some answers to your sudden downturn. Hopefully it will be something that can be easily resolved.
            Donna
            Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
            Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
            Fused T3-L3
            60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
            Tennis player & returning to the courts!
            http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Hi Kristy...

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully, you'll require a fairly simple revision, from which recovery should be faster than your last surgery. Looking forward to hearing what the surgeon says.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I 'm so sorry!

Hi, I know you are scared , but it could be the upper discs. My daughter-in-law just had surgery to correct a disc in her neck that was causing her thumb and arm to go numb. Mostly her thumb. Anyway, I'm certainly not trying to diagnose you, but just saying that's what her problem was. I know you must be scared, but lets hope it is something easy to take care of. I'm still working on getting my third revision surgery. It will be done in Minniapolis by Dr. Perra. I have to take Forteo for a while first to strengthen my bones. I am still in a bad saggital imbalance with flatback syndrome. I sruggle from day to day. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers~~~Linda
                Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                This started adult onset scoliosis
                July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                May 30th 2013 revision
                May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Oh Kristy honey I am so sorry this happened. I'm praying it's something simple. ((Hugs)) and let us know what the Dr. says.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Kristy,
                    I am so sorry that this is happening to you. You have been through so much. I hope you can get whatever it is fixed soon and be back to your life. Take care, Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I am in the Broken Rod Club

I have 2 separate issues going on apparently...
                      I went to my doctor's office to get the numbness in my left arm/thumb evaluated. He isn't sure if it is coming from the cervical discs or peripheral
                      in carpel tunnel (I don't think that's it). So I am scheduled for an EMG in a few weeks. While I was there, I got a full set of xrays which were sent
                      to my surgeon.
                      Since that day, my back has felt more painful in the lumbar and sacral area. I feel like my back is clunking and loose everywhere. My gait has slowed
                      and I can't lift my arms over my head.
                      Well, I got the bad news today that my right rod has broken at the L3 screw where the osteotomy was done. Apparently there is a spot that hasn't
                      healed in that area.
                      Dr. T wants me to start wearing my brace again for 3 months. Then get a CT scan in March.
                      Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................I thought I was done with that horrible thing! I hate the thought of wearing it to work. Makes me look like a
                      linebacker!
                      I can deal with the numbness...but the broken rod has me so frustrated and unhappy. I feel like I am slipping backward.
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I'm so sorry Kristy. What bad news for you.

I'm sure there must be a good reason, but what good can come of wearing a brace for 3 months? (I'm bamboozled.)
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

That is so not good news. I hope you get everything sorted out soon. Is it possible that one of your rods broke b/c you didn't fuse properly in an area? I guess your surgeon will have all the details for you.
                          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

so sorry to hear this, Kristy...
                            are they thinking eventual surgery to fix or replace the broken rod...?
                            is the brace for temporary support...?

i hope the pain eases soon....
                            you have my total sympathy!

jess

Comment

Kristy

I’m so sorry this happened. The brace is for your protection since you have a non-union and didn’t fuse on that level. 3 months seems like an awfully long time, why would they want to delay this?

The “broken rod” club is not a club any of us want to join.....

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X