Thread: Feel like crying

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Feel like crying

Things have been going so well for me since my revision in March 2010...no pain, back to work, living my life...
    Then on Thanksgiving morning, I woke up and my left arm and thumb were numb. I thought I had slept on it wrong, but no. It's been 12 days and no change. My thumb has gotten number in fact. My whole arm isn't numb, just feels numb along the inner aspect of my forearm.
    Then...I was in bed a few days later, stretching like we all do in the morning, and I hear and feel a big CRACK. At first I thought it was my bones, but a couple of days later, I started feeling my rod(s) move when I was walking. Very disconcerting. So I called my surgeon's office and will be evaluated tomorrow morning along with xrays. Throughout the day today at work, my back has become painful, and I am having alot of trouble doing any lifting at all. My purse even feels heavy to me. I feel so discouraged because I thought I was done with all this. Ugh.
    Last edited by naptown78; 12-12-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

I am so sorry to hear of your problems. Please keep us informed
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

I'm so sorry honey. Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking about you

I could cry for you Kristy. Thank goodness you don't have to wait long for evaluation. Good luck!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

I'm really sorry about all this. Is your back hurting up high? I only ask because I wonder if it is related to your arm/thumb. I hope you can find out soon. I probably don't dare say (broken rod) as that is the last thing you want to hear. Let's hope it's not and is something easier to deal with. Gentle (((hugs)))

Kristy,
    Oh no, I hope that you will get some answers to your sudden downturn. Hopefully it will be something that can be easily resolved.
    Donna
    Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
    Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
    Fused T3-L3
    60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
    Tennis player & returning to the courts!
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

thanks so much for your emails on Dr. B

Quote Originally Posted by mabeckoff View Post
    I am so sorry to hear of your problems. Please keep us informed
    I'm still learning how to get around the forum (like replying) I heard that you also have Fibro, as do I. It makes this more difficult. How are YOU?

I would love the information on Dr. B(forgot the spelling). I have to run (walk slowly) to PT but would love to speak to you if that is possible. If so, either I can give you my no or take yours with the best time to call so your not disturbed with eating or sleeping or whatever.

Well, please take care of yourself and I look forward to hearing from you.
    by the way, how do I keep items from lets say, you in a folder and what is auto-save that keeps blinking bottom right while I'm typing this? I wish I had learned the computer better but I was a salesperson when I was much younger ..... oh well. Please take care
    Reneetina
    60 yrs old did scuba,lift & work. Miss all.
    1st t surgery,28 years. L4/5 fusion
    2nd surgery 10-19; went from 2 80%+ curves to 20% + 30%.T4-S1,38 screws (loose & angled wrong), 15 fusions many fusions did not take,& horrific had/have(?) infection.
    Lot of pain.

Reneetina, in case Melissa doesn't get your message here, you might try again on her thread here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...er-9th-surgery
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Smile Home from surgery ;-)

Thanks all for your support...my surgery went well and I was home in 3 days. My pain is much much better. The pain
    I had pre-op was so much worse than the pain I am having now. I have to wear my brace for 3 months along with
    a bone stimulator. Doc repaired the rods that broke and added bone graft to the level that had not fused. Also ,
    he added 2 more rods at that level for extra support, something I had not heard anyone else speak of here.
    I hope to be back to work in a few weeks if all goes well...
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Welcome home, Kristy, you sounds great! I am glad all went so well.

I am having my broken rod revision on Friday, and I will be getting two additional, shorter rods added that will span the areas with pseudoarthrosis. I am encouraged by how well you are doing, since my surgery will be similar.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted about your recovery.
    Gayle, age 49
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    5/10 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    5/16 6 yrs post-op, 24*T/ 22* L, mild increase in curves, watching

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable