Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr. Amer Samdani - Would love to know more info on him and the Philly Shriner's hosp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Amer Samdani - Would love to know more info on him and the Philly Shriner's hosp.

Hello!

My daughter has an appointment with Dr. Amer Samdani at Shriner's Philly just wondering if anyone could give me some info about him. What's it like going to your first visit, about how long does it take....etc....Also, how long does in generally take to get a surgery date from the first visit? My daughter will be 18 in August so we are on a time frame.

What is the hospital like?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you so much!

Kellie

Hi Kellie,

My son has been going to the Philly Shriners Hospital for almost 8 years. The hospital and the entire staff is AWESOME! You almost don't feel like you are in a hospital.

Dr. Samdani has a stellar reputation (and is a real sweetheart to boot). He's been at Shriners quite a few years working side by side with Dr. Betz (so he has no doubt learned from the best). Dr. Samdani is not officially David's doctor but I know him because the doctors there work as a team and it's such a friendly, almost family-like atmosphere that after a while you get to know everyone.

I have no doubt that you will be extremely pleased with the care your daughter receives at Shriners and from Dr. Samdani personally. The hospital seems to attract - and keep - the best of the best in the field of pediatric orthopedics - I'm sure because of its (and Dr. Betz's) reputation in that field. In almost 8 years I have never come across, or heard of, a 'medicore' doctor there.

I also co-moderate a scoliosis-related (VBS) site and several of the parents there have first-hand experience with Dr. Samdani since their kids are his patients. They all have nothing but wonderful things to say about him.

Best of luck!!
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Kellie i never even been to the philly shriners hospital. I will tell you this shriners hospital philly in the best of my edu the have the top spinal surgeons in the world. Like Dr Samdani
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Hi Kellie,

I replied on you other thread, in case you didn't see it.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

My son has been going to Shriners for 4 years. He had surgery 3 years ago at 13 with Dr. Samdani. We have nothing but positive things to say about him. He was a fabulous surgeon, easy to talk to and very understanding of teen concerns. My son is a soccer player and they had many discussions about what would work for Casey and his soccer schedule when discussing surgery.

Time in the office can range anywhere from an hour to several hours depending on the day. Never really sure how long it will take.

The hospital and staff were wonderful. Casey spent 9 days there after surgery and I stayed with him. Since the hospital is really just for orthopedic issues, doctors and nurses deal with your exact issues everyday. This was really important to us ~ they are really experts in this field.

Good luck!

Comment

Slow to update........

Well, I am slow to update.....we did go see Dr. Samdani but he would not operate on her because of her heart condition...shriners doesn't have a full cardiac team to support a surgery on someone with extensive heart problems. I just want to say that Dr. Samdani was wonderful, one of the most caring doctors I have met outside of Dr. Tom Pappas from Spinecor. So my search is still on. There has been such an upheavel of things going on in our lives since we went to Philly that we were not able to pursue other options but we are back to looking again.

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Hi there,

I am sorry to read of your daughter's situation. I know this situation has come up several times before, where children with complex medical conditions are deemed too high-risk for surgery at Shriner's, since Shriner's doesn't have a full cardiac ICU/team. I also know many parents whose children have loved Dr Samdani and had wonderful outcomes with him. Was Dr Samdani able to recommend any surgeons he felt were well-qualified to help your daughter?

Linda Racine, the moderator here, could probably recommend some names, also.

Best of luck,
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi Sierra's Mom,

I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's situation as well. (Dr. Samdani is awesome, isn't he?)!!

I do like Gayle suggestion and want to help any way I can. Was Dr. Samdani able to recommend anyone for you? I have often asked Dr. Betz for surgeon recommendations for parents of children who, for one reason or another, were not being operated on in Philly. He has always come through and I would be more than happy to reach out to him again. Please let me know if Dr. Samdani was able to recommend anyone - if not, I will reach out to Dr. Betz if you like.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted.

Hugs,
                Last edited by mariaf; 08-26-2012, 07:28 AM.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                X