Recent comments from Dr. Hey on bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent comments from Dr. Hey on bracing

This morning, I saw a 12 yo boy with 33 degree curve with first diagnosis, and had long talk with patient and mom going over bracing options vs. observation, and gave them several good resources available through our blog and at SRS.org for further info. It is important to think through and educate the families about the pluses and minuses of bracing before starting the process. This boy is in a 50%+ risk category for progression, given the size of his curve and the number of years remaining. The brace can help in some cases to slow the curve progression, but does not actually make the curve smaller.
    http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2011/...rly-onset.html (Note the comments are not regarding the title case.)

I wondering if he is saying that the eventual curve will not be smaller and that only the progression rate is slowed by bracing. If so, that would comport with the suggestion that bracing only delays progression.

Or he could mean that the brace will not reduce a curve from its highest measured angle.

Hard to tell from the short comment.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

I think he must be using the University of Iowa data to calculate the 50%. I think that many MDs now believe that the data is greatly flawed. Unfortunately, since this kid falls outside of the ScoliScore protocol, it's the best information available at the moment.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      I think he must be using the University of Iowa data to calculate the 50%. I think that many MDs now believe that the data is greatly flawed. Unfortunately, since this kid falls outside of the ScoliScore protocol, it's the best information available at the moment.
      If the Iowa data set is the one with the small n and HUGE standard deviations then it is virtually worthless. "Greatly flawed" would be to sugarcoat it. :-)
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
      X