Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decided on Dr Cronen, surgery date set. Qs on diff in rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided on Dr Cronen, surgery date set. Qs on diff in rods?

What a relief now we've made the decision to go w Dr Cronen. Jacob's surgery is set for Jan 3 at Tampa General. Reality crashed down overwhelmingly for a bit after getting the date, but we are so thankful as we know there are so many people who are much worse off. And we arent having to wait long at all. Not to make light of what still is major surgery, but we have insurance and family support and access to info and a great surgeon, and that this all has come about while Jacob is a young teen.
    I do have questions about the diff in rods tho- he said titanium can break more easily; is there any concern about putting cobalt in the body, as isn't a form of cobalt radioactive? Is stainless more or less durable, ESP for a very active boy (who has done stupid things such as parkour (roof jumping!) without our knowledge and hopefully never again will.
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

I think there was some discussion about metal types on JDM555's thread. Linda Racine knows a lot about that as she works with a bunch of scoli docs. I would let your surgeon know. He would know best what instrumentation is best to use under the circumstances. Best wishes on the surgery!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

I think it's cobalt 50 that's poisonous. The cobalt rods in use today are cobalt chromium.

I'll tell you what I've told others. Don't get hung up on what the rods are made of. You've chosen a surgeon you trust. He probably knows more about rod materials than any of us could ever know, so why second guess him? There are about 100 different spinal implant systems on the market. Hopefully, your surgeon has chosen the system with which he's had the best results and most experience.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It was such a relief for us when we actually got the surgery date, well two surgery dates actually. My son's rods are cobalt-chromium- (?) molybdenum. I can't remember the middle one and would have to look it up. Like Linda said, the surgeon will choose what he feels best for your son as he is the expert. Keep us posted on how things go!
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

You have made the most important decision. You have chosen a surgeon that you feel comfortable with his surgical knowledge and skills. After that , let him do
          what you have chosen him for and you be the parent to take care of your child. My son has had many surgeries, not back surgery . He needs you there to be his
          parent and the surgeon to do his thing
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
            What a relief now we've made the decision to go w Dr Cronen. Jacob's surgery is set for Jan 3 at Tampa General. Reality crashed down overwhelmingly for a bit after getting the date, but we are so thankful as we know there are so many people who are much worse off. And we arent having to wait long at all. Not to make light of what still is major surgery, but we have insurance and family support and access to info and a great surgeon, and that this all has come about while Jacob is a young teen.
            I do have questions about the diff in rods tho- he said titanium can break more easily; is there any concern about putting cobalt in the body, as isn't a form of cobalt radioactive? Is stainless more or less durable, ESP for a very active boy (who has done stupid things such as parkour (roof jumping!) without our knowledge and hopefully never again will.
            Hi. Great that you have such an experienced surgeon. I am sure you will get a great result.

In re rod material, there are pros and cons of all materials. There is no one ideal material for all patients. We know this because various surgeons use various materials in various patients. I agree with the folks who say pick the surgeon and let them do their job.

There is no known toxicity of the present suite of rod materials or else they would not be approved for implantation.

There are no natural radioactive isotopes of cobalt because they all have short (or exquisitely short) half lives. Cobalt radioisotopes used in medicine and science are all man-made. For example, there are research reactors with Co-60 at some labs I have visited.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Good advice from all. My mantra shall be - within reason - Let the man do what he does well sorry for silly question on cobalt, but it kept bugging me. y'all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
              Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
              Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
              Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
              Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
              photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

There are no silly Cobalt questions. :-)

You have a top surgeon. That should be a comfort.

You can do this. Good luck.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi there,

I am glad you have selected your son's surgeon and have a date. I know it is all extremely nerve-wracking as a parent, but I think for me anyway there was a lot of comfort in having a date firmed up.

I agree with the others, let your surgeon do what he does best. He will select the material he thinks os best for your son (although it is of course ok to ask questions!). I had my surgery 13 months ago with cobalt chrome rods, and I am doing great.

Good luck with you son's surgery. Feel free to ask any questions you want here.
                  Gayle, age 50
                  Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                  Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                  Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                  2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                  2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
                  X