Recovery planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery planning

I haven't posted here much lately, but have lurking and reading posts almost daily for about six months or so. I have a long range surgery date (July 2012) scheduled with Dr. Lenke but I am on the cancellation list and am really hoping for a sooner date! With the daily pain getting worse, I don't know that I can hold out that long. In the mean time I have been dilligently walking 3 miles a day and bumping up my exercises to get conditioned for surgery. I am wondering just how long you need someone with you after discharge while recovering? My husband will need to return to work after the 2 weeks off post op. Since my Mother is retired and has a spacious home with a downstairs bedroom, she is suggesting that I come and stay with her for however long needed. I am just wondering how long it is necessary to have someone with you after returning home. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Hi Pam!

Were you able to change the Sep surgery date to July or am I remembering incorrectly?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, but I am hoping for a much sooner date if you know what I mean. July just seems soooo far off! In the meantime I will just concentrate on exercising as much as possible and trying to build the bone density. My Mother lives in Bowling Green, which is 1.5 hours away from me so I am trying to determine whether I'd be better off up there with her for a few weeks post-op since her home is large enough that we wouldn't be in each other's way. I just want to go ahead and get all the major decisions and big plans out of the way. I am hoping/holding out for that call that you received from Kelly.
      Last edited by TwinmomTN; 11-20-2011, 01:27 PM.
      Pam, age 49
      T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Recovery Planning

Hi!

Of course everyone is different but I know that the first two weeks are critical for having someone with you. It all depends on how mobile you are, how much medicine you are taking, how you are feeling, etc. I have a 16 year old daughter who was with me as she was on summer break at the time. My mother was with me the first week (my husband couldn't take any time off)and I don't know how I would have managed without her. Every week got easier, though. I was cooking dinner for my family at about three weeks post op.

It's probably best to have a back up plan. Perhaps you can stay home for the two weeks post op and then if you need someone, go to your mother's after that. Although riding in a car is tough. I had to build up slowly, sitting in a car for 15 minutes at first, two weeks post op, and then building from there. I was driving at six weeks post op so you can see that recovery moves ahead quickly in those early weeks.
        Hope you get an earlier surgery date!
        50 years old!!!!!
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
        Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
        Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
        Surgery 07/11/2011
        Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I was fortunate to have my husband take off the entire month of my surgery. For the first couple of weeks when we were home following my surgery, he did things like handled all of my medications, helped me take showers, prepared meals for me, helped me get into bed, rolled me when I wanted to change positions, etc. Then as I got stronger each day, I did a little more for myself. Plus, since my surgery was in May, I was anxious to do my walking outdoors and he accompanied me when I did take walks for the first month or so.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but I think that being with my husband in my own surroundings (kids, house, bed, dog, etc) helped me during the early recovery period. Hopefully, you will be able to work out something that works best for your situation.

Donna
          Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
          Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
          Fused T3-L3
          60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
          Tennis player & returning to the courts!
          http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
            Yes, but I am hoping for a much sooner date if you know what I mean. July just seems soooo far off! In the meantime I will just concentrate on exercising as much as possible and trying to build the bone density. My Mother lives in Bowling Green, which is 1.5 hours away from me so I am trying to determine whether I'd be better off up there with her for a few weeks post-op since her home is large enough that we wouldn't be in each other's way. I just want to go ahead and get all the major decisions and big plans out of the way. I am hoping/holding out for that call that you received from Kelly.
            If you are in a position to act fast, put a bug in Kelly's ear and let her know you will take a fast cancellation. Follow up with her too every few weeks.

Warmly,
            Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Will do. Like everyone else here, my thoughts will be with you in this next
              week for your pre op and the following week of course.
              Pam, age 49
              T-3 to sacrum

Comment

why can't your mom come to your house instead of you going to her home?
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Pam,
                  My husband was able to take off for a month which was nice. I think I was pretty independent after two weeks, however, I got dizzy and blacked out at 3 weeks post op, so I was sure glad not to be alone.
                  I hope you get a cancellation!
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I had surgery w/ Dr Lenke too... Hope you get a cancellation date!
                    I had my husband w/ me for the first two weeks, then my sister stayed w/ me for the third week. In retrospect, I do think I really needed her here w/ me. It's hard to make a recommendation since we are all recovery differently, but I'm guessing that you will still be on pain meds that third week - and pretty unsteady on your feet. It would definitely be better to plan on staying w/ your mom, and then change the plan if you want to. After the third week, things really started to improve for me though - then I had a few friends and a daughter who took turns stopping in every day just to check on me or bring a meal, fold laundry, etc. Yeah, week three is still pretty rocky.
                    GOOD LUCK!!
                    Nancy
                    Age 58
                    Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                    original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                    fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                      I think I was pretty independent after two weeks,
                      Wow! Two weeks is incredible! I simply cannot fathom the post-op pain and to think one can be pretty independent after two weeks is so inspiring!

Warmly,
                      Doreen

Comment

When I said "independent" I just meant that I could get out of bed by myself, walk with my walker, get something out of the refrigerator-just basically maneuver through the house. I was not alone and would not have wanted to be alone.
                        My husband is sitting beside me now telling me that I was defintiely NOT INDEPENDENT for the first month. He told me that he took care of giving me the appropriate meds for the first 4 weeks. I guess I only thought I was independent. I'll blame my incorrect recollections on the medications!
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                          When I said "independent" I just meant that I could get out of bed by myself, walk with my walker, get something out of the refrigerator-just basically maneuver through the house. I was not alone and would not have wanted to be alone.
                          My husband is sitting beside me now telling me that I was defintiely NOT INDEPENDENT for the first month. He told me that he took care of giving me the appropriate meds for the first 4 weeks. I guess I only thought I was independent. I'll blame my incorrect recollections on the medications!
                          LOL! I guess it is inspiring to hear your meds made you believe you were independent. :-) I'll tell Dr. Lenke, "Gimme what you gave Karen please."

Warmly,
                          Doreen

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                            LOL! I guess it is inspiring to hear your meds made you believe you were independent. :-) I'll tell Dr. Lenke, "Gimme what you gave Karen please."

Warmly,
                            Doreen
                            We need a LIKE button, hehe.
                            Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                            Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                            Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                            http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

My fiance is planning to take 1-2 days off to get me situated then work 1/2 days to help me recover. I am getting fused from T2-L2 or L3 and I am afraid that I will need more help. Did anyone feel that it was absolutely necessary to have someone home with them the entire time the first few weeks?

worried,
                              Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
                              Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
                              27 years old
                              http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
                              Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
                              T2-L2 or L3
                              Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Comment

Working...
                              X