Dry mouth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry mouth?

Every since surgery my natural internal furnace was almost non-existent. I froze if it was under 76. Now I am hot-really hot My friends who came by were shocked I had on no covers and they were asking for warm blankets. About that time I also started experiencing extreme dry mouth. Can even get solid food down unless you drink something first or even during, the events may not be related but the dry mouth and dried up tongue is about all I can stand right now. I have gotten pain levels to 6ish for most of the day which is good but I have tried water, cranberry juice, grape juice and nothing seems to make the symptoms leave
    Any suggestions.

K

I had an extremely dry mouth at about three or four weeks after my surgery. Nothing seemed to help, but it went away farily quickly. I imagine it's caused by the heavy pain medications.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

What new medications are you taking?
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Meds

He has me on Logan now but kept me on the oxycodone. 10-325. Haven't helped as much as I would assumed it would. Silly me..I guess I thought I would be a 10plus pain but figured with medications I could have it down to a 5. Lol. Unrealistic I guess. Lol

Comment

I have no idea what Logan is, but the most frequent cause of dry mouth is medication.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was told it was muscle relaxer. But I only asked about the pain meds. O maybe

Comment

i searched a prescription drug website and there is no drug called "Logan"...
              does it go by another name?

jess

Comment

Are you taking anything for nerve pain, like Neurontin (generic is gabapentin), or Lyrica? They both cause dry mouth and eyes.
                Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                T54/L72
                Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                Gained 2 inches!
                Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Kayde
                  I set some gas bill records in my recovery will my thermostat set at 78 degrees. Freezing and sweating, back and forth, sometimes happening very quickly. The body trying to heal itself on meds can do this. Keep notes on everything.

I started making protein smoothies since eating was a challenge. This is one way to get those needed nutrients! Nutrition is so important right now.

In a blender...
                  1/8 cup whey protein powder
                  1 banana
                  1 yogurt
                  5 blueberries frozen
                  5 blackberries frozen
                  5 strawberries frozen
                  10 almonds
                  5 raspberries frozen
                  1/2 apple

Buy frozen its easier.

Having a sip of water before eating is a good idea. I do this as it acts as a lubricant and prepares the pipes.

Hang in there, it does get better.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Kayde,

glad to hear your pain has improved somewhat.

I am curious if your tongue appears coated with white, or if the tongue is very red and inflamed or sore. I had oral thrush at around 7 days post-op and it did start with an extraordinarily dry mouth, beyond normal dry mouth for taking lots of narcotics.

You can find photos of thrush (oral candidiasis) online if you think you may have it. It is easily treated with a prescription oral rinse.

Hang in there,
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Ed, I'm so glad you wrote about smoothies. I had been considering starting a thread asking if anyone had found smoothies useful for getting lots of nutrients and protein into our bodies after surgery when our appetites are poor. I make smoothies every day anyway, kind of like your recipe except I put in a huge handful of kale, or spinach or chard in with all that fruit. You need a Vitamix or Blentec to handle the kale, but spinach will whip up in any blender.

I'm glad to know this worked for you, because it was part of my plan for after surgery. It would probably help lots of people, and there is just no better way to cram nutrients into your body at any time.
                      Stephanie, age 56
                      Diagnosed age 8
                      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X