Lifeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifeline

I can't express my gratitude enough to all of you for your prayers, tips, words of encouragement and just a place where when you say omg the abdomen crease was one of the first post ops things I felt to see was gone people don't think you are completely crazy lol. Idk that I would have made it through this without knowing others have had the same issues. The pill schedule, mattress and Satan sheets and pj's I have shared with others who were having surgery on other things and they have all sent me texts later telling me how they too found them lifesavers. My mothers friend at church is 59 and a school teacher and her curve is now 86 because she was told she would just have to wait for the wheelchair and live the rest of her life on pain meds. After seeing my 74 degree curve go to a 16 she is going to get second opinions. I hope she joins this forum. So many people are just told to live until their bones crush them and lose their quality of life....amazing to me that we are still hearing those stories after 35 years that I have personal knowledge of that information going around. Thanks for all you do.

Btw- how do u get the nasty sticky tape off your body? And I am a week out and I think the itching has begun. Is that too soon?

Tape or glue? If it's where your skin is glued together--I'd think one week is a bit too soon. Not sure what is still taped after you have left the hospital unless your surgeon put you back together differently.

I waited about a month and had evidence the tissue had mended, but there were still some pretty hard pieces of glue holding me together still attached to my skin. Per a nurse friend of mine, I put a little bit of vaseline on the hard pieces of glue before going to bed and a lot of it came off in the shower the next morning. I repeated the process once more about a week later....

It does itch when it's ready to come off.

If you are taped together, I don't have a clue as to what to say.

I can't believe doctors are telling people with severe scoliosis that they just have to live their lives like that. But, just like surgeons, not all doctors are created equal.

Glad to hear you have your meds and schedule down.
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

tape

the staff taped stuff to me everwhere 3 iv's, ekg pds, tape flr stuff the nurses didnt even now why the couldnt get blood stu k me 27 times and finally put in a pick line the arms,stomach and legs still have tape and tape residue i cant seem get off

Comment

I am hyper-sensitive to tape, so I usually end up with the tape literally melting off of my skin within 4-5 days of surgery. In my case, my incisions have always healed perfectly. Hope yours do as well.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

The adhesive remover we use in the hospital is acetone, so nail polish remover will do the same thing. Just make sure you don't have any breaks in your skin before you use it. Glad to hear your surgery went well!
          Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
          T54/L72
          Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
          Gained 2 inches!
          Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
          12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
          Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Kayde,
            Glad to hear your surgery went well. I have to agree with your opinion of this forum. It has been invaluable to me. Good luck with your recovery. Each week gets a little easier.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
            X