Quote Originally Posted by Ballet Mom View Post
Some moderate curves do progress, but most don't. This forum is not representative of the whole population.

Don't I remember a post from you a while back that said the surgeons were actually recommending surgery to you when you were quite young? Perhaps your curves aren't as moderate as you remember at bone maturity?

It is unfortunate about the high curves, I'd definitely look into vertebral stapling or tethering (as it develops) if I had a progressive high curve in this day and age. I would not have forced my daughter to wear the brace for high curves that is recommended.
I know they were "talking" about surgery for me. From what my mom tells me, I didn't want it. She made it sound like if she had pushed the issue a little that they would have done the surgery. I think we were both afraid of it, as my roommate in the hospital was in for surgery the same time I was in for testing and they brought her back screaming in agony. It frightened us both. I know I remember them telling me that when I hit 40* I would need surgery. They were measuring me at 37-39*. I know it went so far as "someone", I'm guessing from the lab, talking to me about blood predonation. So for them to have that talk with me makes me think that I eeked by without the surgery. Surprisingly, when I went to the adult side of the same clinic at age 18, surgery was never mentioned again. Now, after the fact, I wish I would have had it. Don't get me wrong. My life has not been one entirely of misery and pain. I was quite active and outdoorsy (is that a word?). I did a LOT of hiking and other outdoor stuff. But when I had a flare-up it was quite debilitating. In my late 20's is when the pain episodes got more frequent and intense, and as I get older it isn't getting any better.

The thing that I AM most angry about is that no one caught this sooner. At 8 years old I never told anyone I had a backache. At 12 I complained constantly. My mom knew nothing about scoliosis or that the spine could even "not be centered", but the school nurses that screened me two or three times should have said something. My mom says she never got a note, although I'm not entirely sure. That's how she remembers it. I just hope that people would be more aware of how serious this is and take their young children in for screenings so this can be managed earlier. Like I said before, how many AIS are really JIS? No one knows. How many "young" kids could have been braced and saved the agony of not being diagnosed until they are a teenager or an adult when surgery is ultimately on the table?