Thread: Antibiotics before dental appts after surgery??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Antibiotics before dental appts after surgery??

Hi all-

I was reading on Melissa's revision thread about having to take antibiotics before going to the dentist after having spinal fusion surgery. I am just curious if most of the surgeons tell their patients to do this. My surgeon never mentioned anything to me about this and I am curious because I have a dentist appointment in 3 weeks. Since my surgery in 2010, I have been to the dentist 3 times and have never taken any antibiotics! My dentist even knows I have had the spinal fusion surgery to correct my scoliosis. I have even had a crown put in since my surgery. I am kind of worried now.

I am also wondering what other situations require you to take antibiotics beforehand as a result of having the spinal fusion surgery. This past summer, I had another type of "mini" surgery done by my OBGYN and took nothing!! Am very concerned about this...Would appreciate some input! I'm now thinking anytime you have any surgery you should take antibiotics beforehand. I am definately calling my surgeons office this week to inquire about this!

Thanks,
    JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Hi...

I've never confirmed this, but I get the sense that when patients ask their surgeons if they should take antibiotics, they are told that they should. On the other hand, if the patient never asks, it's never recommended. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone had the antibiotic issue mentioned in their preop materials.

By the way, not sure why you started another thread. When there's two threads active on the same subject, it seems very confusing to me.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Hi...

I've never confirmed this, but I get the sense that when patients ask their surgeons if they should take antibiotics, they are told that they should. On the other hand, if the patient never asks, it's never recommended. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone had the antibiotic issue mentioned in their preop materials.

--Linda
    This might be true for my daughter. Because my mom had total knee replacements and had to pre-medicate before any dental appointment, I asked Jamie's surgeon. He told us to pre-medicate for a year, just as a precaution. I don't remember anything being said in pre-op appt. about pre-medicating.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Our surgeon seems to agree with Mary Lou's.

He said antibiotics for oral surgery (and therefore more mundane dentistry) are only required in the case of joint replacements, not spinal fusion.

When my daughters needed oral surgery, the oral surgeon asked us to ask our orthopedic surgeon who said they were unnecessary. The oral surgeon decided to prescribe them anyway.

The situation with spinal fusion and prophylactic antibiotic use is either known or it is not. If it is known then I would like to see the evidence.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Linda - Was never mentioned in the pre-op info. When I went to my dentist for a cleaning about three months after my surgery, the dental office called Dr. Boachie's office and was told about the antibiotics for five years. If the dental office didn't call, I wouldn't have known. I never took them before with the other surgeries. Lynn
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

no need for antibiotics

I had a dental appointment 2 weeks ago. My surgeon said no need for antibiotics. I spoke to my dentist about it and he said pre procedure
    antibiotics are recommended for "replacement surgeries". Neither one of us could figure out why spinal surgeries with hardware were any different than hip or knee replacement surgeries. He was going to do some research.
    Nan
    53 y/o
    Surgery July 12, 2011
    University of Utah-Dr. Michael Daubs
    T10-L-5
    Preop Lumbar curve 55 degrees

My pre-op general information paperwork does say that I will need prophylactic antibiotics before dental work after my surgery.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014