No announcement yet.

Surgery or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some reading material from a few experts....

RESULTS FROM SURGERY

Adult patients who undergo major spinal surgery to correct their scoliosis generally do well. Pain is relieved in the majority. The fusion is successfully achieved and the correction maintained long term in 85-95% of people who have mild to moderate scoliosis corrected with or without nerve root decompression.

Complications can occur however, such as failure of the spine to solidly fuse, failure of the spine hardware (5%), infection (2-5%), ?nerve injury (>1%),medical complications, and others. The patients at greatest risk for complications are people taking steroids and those with severe osteoporosis or poor nutrition.

We recently presented to the Scoliosis Research Society and the North American Spine Society the results of three different studies of adult patients with stiff degenerative scoliosis. All patients required fusion with instrumentation of the spine to the sacrum. Several had severe spinal imbalance. A full 2 years after their surgery, all patients reported significant improvement in their pain. Narcotic medication decreased from 73% before surgery to 9% after surgery. The tech used were considered successful and promising

http://www.scoliosis-assoc.org/defau...ec_status=main

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I was 67 when I was fused L2 to the sacrum with pelvic fixation. I am still dealing with some nerve pain. My surgery was very complicated since my nerve roots were so entrapped. The pain that I have now is more annoying than debilitating unlike the pain I had before surgery which was becoming more and more debilitating. If I had to choose over again knowing then what I know now, I would still choose to have the surgery in a heartbeat. I absolutely refused to be wheelchair bound before my time.

I disagree with Jess who thinks Rohr's two examples are rare for those who choose not to have surgery. We have had people on this forum who missed their window of opportunity to have surgery, either they waited too long and were too old or they developed other health problems that precluded them from having surgery. I wish I could remember their names, but we no longer hear from them. You ladies with osteoporosis are very fortunate that medical science has come out with Forteo which builds bones faster than fosamax and other osteoporosis medication. If Forteo had been available only five years ago, I might have gotten a better correction.

Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Dear Kootenaygal,
        You expressed that you'd like to hear from people who have had the surgery. I had a fusion T1 to sacrum 1 year and 3 months ago. I had curves 91 and 86 and a fusion from when I was 14 (I am 58 now), so that parts of my spine were almost like solid bone. THANKFULLY, the orthopedic surgeon here referred me to Dr Lenke in St Louis, MO. I am not the only complicated case he agreed to take on that other surgeons wouldn't. Also, I am sure that his results are among the very best. I don't know if coming to the US is an option for you, but I do know that the surgeon you choose will make all the difference in your outcome.
        My curves are now 50 and 45. I am well balanced, and in no pain. My recovery went incredibly well. I was off all pain meds in 4 weeks, and driving. It is a really scary leap, but if you are able to go to one of the top surgeons, and they decide that you are a good candidate, my opinion is that it's worth it!
        Good luck!
        Nancy
        Age 58
        Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
        original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
        fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

I don't think seeing Lenke is a possibility for her. There are very good surgeons here in Canada but maybe crossing province borders is where it's at, if of course that is possible with our Medicare.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hey Nancy

Its great to hear from you! Glad that everything is great! I had to take a peek at your x-rays again.....just incredible!

You must be so happy!

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

thank you, I want to try to visit the forum more. When I went to St Louis for my 1 year appt, I was lucky to meet two of the members in person and it inspired me to keep in touch. Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I just want to express my appreciation of the support of the forum.
              Age 58
              Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
              original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
              fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Originally posted by nanlo View Post
                thank you, I want to try to visit the forum more. When I went to St Louis for my 1 year appt, I was lucky to meet two of the members in person and it inspired me to keep in touch. Sorry to be a bit off topic, but I just want to express my appreciation of the support of the forum.
                It was such a blessing to meet you, Nancy! :-)

Warmly,
                Doreen
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Surgery or not?

I'm off to Edmonton this week, to have another consult with my surgeon, and for another " standing" x-ray, to see if my curve degrees has increased any, these past few weeks. I will be finding out what degree my kyphosis is. I'm very anxious to find out, if I'm a good candidate for this surgery. So many questions !!

I'm terrified, but not having the surgery....would result in the additional collapse of my spine (Kyphosis) and it's further effects on my lung function, and vital organs. I see, I'm no different, from anyone else, who has made to make this decision.
                  I've just completed the urine test, to see if I'm loosing any bone, and have my bone density test this week.
                  The deciding factor, may also be the element of osteo in my spine.

This forum, has been so helpful. When I joined a few weeks ago...I knew nothing, about surgery with rods, screws, fusions etc. etc. And the recovery from this surgery.

Thank you for all of your replies...and I'll be posting another message, in a couple weeks.

Kootenay gal

Comment

Originally posted by kootenaygal View Post
                    I'm off to Edmonton this week, to have another consult with my surgeon, and for another " standing" x-ray, to see if my curve degrees has increased any, these past few weeks. I will be finding out what degree my kyphosis is. I'm very anxious to find out, if I'm a good candidate for this surgery. So many questions !!

I'm terrified, but not having the surgery....would result in the additional collapse of my spine (Kyphosis) and it's further effects on my lung function, and vital organs. I see, I'm no different, from anyone else, who has made to make this decision.
                    I've just completed the urine test, to see if I'm loosing any bone, and have my bone density test this week.
                    The deciding factor, may also be the element of osteo in my spine.

This forum, has been so helpful. When I joined a few weeks ago...I knew nothing, about surgery with rods, screws, fusions etc. etc. And the recovery from this surgery.

Thank you for all of your replies...and I'll be posting another message, in a couple weeks.

Kootenay gal
                    Yes this forum is fantastic isn't it? The people here saved my sanity prior to (and even after) surgery.

For me, waiting to the point where I would have been debilitated and in a wheel chair was just not an option for me. I saw what scoliosis did to my maternal grandmother the last 15 or so years of her life, and I had no interest being in that condition. I had my surgery at 46, and I am glad that I did.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                    X