Two more collapsed spine cases, one starting at only 33* at maturity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
    Getting ouselves into a situation with good insurance coverage is easier said than done in many cases. There are a lot of poor people out there.
    Yes, but even kids raised in poverty can get at least a high school education, which is usually enough (or certainly was up until the last 10 years), to get a job in a company that provides benefits. I know that kids aren't thinking about health insurance when they decide whether or not to pay enough attention in class, and get an education that will lead to a job. One would hope that enough knowledge gets passed along to the parents or the kids eventually, especially if there is a higher risk of having a condition that may require medical intervention. I'm grateful that my path led me to not doing something that would have kept me unemployed or self-employed.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
      Probably not the right question to ask someone who's having a hard time getting good treatment, but have you ever had an MRI? The combination of unusual curve and unusual pain might point to something else going on (like a syrinx).

My son has a very similar curve (but going the other way and with some kyphosis thrown in for good measure) - up so high that his neck is at an angle. So far he's avoided having any pain, but it is quite a strain on the whole structure.
      I've had the whole shabang. CT myelogram at 16 due to an enlarged nerve root opening at C7. They thought possible tumor. Everything turned out fine. I've had multiple MRI's and no mention of anything unusual. Of course, at my age, just the normal degenerative changes and the scoliosis. I'm extremely hypokyphotic to boot, which puts extra strain on my neck. Oh well, enough about me.

Hopefully, they will learn enough in the near future to help the next generation of kids. That's why I jumped at the chance to donate my DNA to Axial Biotech. My parents both donated theirs as well. Neither one has scoliosis.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Yes, but even kids raised in poverty can get at least a high school education, which is usually enough (or certainly was up until the last 10 years), to get a job in a company that provides benefits. I know that kids aren't thinking about health insurance when they decide whether or not to pay enough attention in class, and get an education that will lead to a job. One would hope that enough knowledge gets passed along to the parents or the kids eventually, especially if there is a higher risk of having a condition that may require medical intervention. I'm grateful that my path led me to not doing something that would have kept me unemployed or self-employed.
        I'm a stay-at-home wife. If something happens to my hubby, I'm toast, unless I could join some research team somewhere. I would definitely have to move from my small town, although we do have a branch of Accelerated Genetics nearby. They mostly do bovine semen collection and distribution... boring! But it's all about choices. Kids with medical problems really don't think about things like insurance. My kids think I'm nuts when I tell them they need to get jobs that offer insurance. They could really care less about it, until they get sick and stuck with a medical bill.
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

They mostly do bovine semen collection and distribution... boring!
          I am guessing the steers do not find that work boring. :-)
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            I am guessing the steers do not find that work boring. :-)
            They actually use an electrical prod of some sort to get the collection. Poor humiliated bulls. Kind of hard to get a useful specimen from a steer. ;-)
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

They actually use an electrical prod of some sort to get the collection. Poor humiliated bulls. Kind of hard to get a useful specimen from a steer. ;-)
              WHAT?!?!?!

I just assumed it was like with horses.

Has PETA been informed? They should be. PETA folks can be around the bend but they can help in some cases.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                WHAT?!?!?!

I just assumed it was like with horses.

Has PETA been informed? They should be. PETA folks can be around the bend but they can help in some cases.
                They don't hurt them. I'm not even going to ask what they do with horses....WAY off topic here, but I'm sure there's no useful specimens from geldings, you need the stallion. ;-)
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                X