No announcement yet.

Did anyone go to a rehab place post-op?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone go to a rehab place post-op?

I don't have a surgery date yet, but my surgeon said I'll probably go to rehab for a couple weeks after. Wondering if anyone else did that, and what your experience was.
    Betsy age 55
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee brace 1966-1972
    Surgery April 17, 2012
    fuse T4-sacrum & osteotomy

Yes I have been to rehab several times and it is a excellent thing to do
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I had a T4 to sacrum fusion in June ’08 at age 59. I did go to rehab for two weeks following my 5½ day hospital stay because I live alone and I needed the use of a walker for several weeks following my surgery. However, my surgeon was not too enthused about my going. The longer your hospital stay and rehab stay, the more exposure you have for acquiring a post-op infection. The other concern my surgeon had was that in rehab you are immediately pushed into therapeutic routines that my surgeon opposed. He wanted me to just walk, walk and walk some more. His nurse was constantly in touch with the rehab facility to make sure the therapists did not have me doing anything “goofy.” Overall, I felt my rehab stay was beneficial. I had a private room and the staff was exceptional. Presently I don’t know how many insurance companies will still approve a rehab stay following spinal fusion.

Comment

Hi...

You've heard the two sides of the debate. If you're the kind of person who will push themselves to get up and walk even if you don't feel like it, I totally agree that you're better off (in terms of health) to avoid rehab. If you won't push yourself, or if you're just too sick to take care of your basic needs, rehab may be your only choice.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think what Linda said is probably the best way to put it.

When I had my surgery two months ago, I think I got a slow start to recovery because I needed extra blood (the surgeon was able to recycle 50% of my blood in the surgery, but apparently it was not enough and I wasn't strong enough to stand on my own the first day). Hence, I received two units of blood in the next three days.

The rehab part of the hospital was full and I still wasn't getting out of bed myself by the time I needed to leave the surgical unit, so I was offered to either go home and have a rehab person visit my house a couple times a week or go to a rehab center. I chose to go to a rehab center (just for a few days until I could get out of bed myself and walk places with my walker--although I was walking with a walker by then). I checked into a rehab center on a Saturday morning. They didn't have any physical therapists there on the weekend, so there was no one to help me "rehab". They also had put me in the long term part of their facility because there was no room in the short term.

The only reason I mention all this is that if you are alone and you feel you cannot take care of yourself when you need to leave the hospital, these are things you need to look for in a facility.

Chris was right, too, some physical therapists don't understand spinal fusion and all you need to learn is how to properly get into and out of bed, how to turn in the bed, how to go up stairs and walk as much as you can (with walker). They should also show you how to use any aids (like a sock aid) if you need them.

My two cents as my rehab experience was the experience from hell--not just because of the lack of therapists, but other things...inattentiveness to getting pain meds on time, etc....
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

I went to rehab for 11 days in between my two surgeries. There was no way I could have gone home between the two surgeries being 67 years young at the time. The rehab hospital wing I was on was geared for orthopedic surgery patients and the PT's and OT's were wonderful. I got excellent care and excellent food and was watched very carefully by MD's who were in constant touch with my surgeon. Everyone there knew my surgeon and did not deviate from his orders.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

My fusion was t-4 to sacrum and I was originally told I would go to re-hab for a week after my hospital stay. However, I did "too well" during my hospital stay so that I didn't qualify for my insurance to cover it. I came home and had visiting nurse care for a week or 2 including PT and I was fine. Everyone's different and in my case, it worked out for the best not to have gone. Good luck to you.

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Originally posted by BetsyK View Post
                I don't have a surgery date yet, but my surgeon said I'll probably go to rehab for a couple weeks after. Wondering if anyone else did that, and what your experience was.
                Hi Betsy,
                I see you are in Atlanta. Who is your surgeon? What is the measurement of your curve(s)?

Warmly,
                Doreen
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had just been considering starting a thread with just this question. Let me throw in another consideration: what about the situation where you live 1300 miles away from where you are having surgery, so that you will have to fly home and be very far away from your surgeon? This is the only reason I have considered doing rehab after my hospital stay.
                  Stephanie, age 56
                  Diagnosed age 8
                  Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                  Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                  Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                  Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                  Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                  Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
                    I had just been considering starting a thread with just this question. Let me throw in another consideration: what about the situation where you live 1300 miles away from where you are having surgery, so that you will have to fly home and be very far away from your surgeon? This is the only reason I have considered doing rehab after my hospital stay.
                    Then I would definitly stay in rehab. If any of Dr Bederman's patients live far away, he sees them after their stay in rehab before they go home
                    Melissa

Comment

Hi Betsy

Welcome to the forum.

The one thing that you want to make sure of is that you are weaned off injectables in the hospital. I skipped rehab, and weaned at home alone which wasn’t easy. It was my decision. My hospital bed was horrible and I think if they had a foam topper, I would have stuck around. I also had a roomate that had 10 support people every day making noise and watching tv and that was bothering me. Private rooms are worth consideration.

I was ok with standing and walking. It was sleeping and sitting that was difficult. It was hard for me to get comfortable after surgery for the first few weeks and had a lot of trouble sleeping.

I was warned about being a couch potato....and my surgeon sent many people to my house to make sure of that. Its way cheaper to send nurses and rehab personal to your home than receiving a healthy invoice from a rehab facility. If you elect to skip, your insurance company will love you.

I had 5 surgeries in 2 years, and was an expensive date....I was also worried about using up my insurance being the frugal guy that I am.

I think that the rehab decision has to be made at the time. See how you feel.

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I am considering the same thing after my 2 surgeries in Jan.2012....rehab facility or in-home rehab?? I'm coming at it from both sides of the coin though...i am an Occupational Therapist working in a rehab facility AND i will be a post-op spinal fusion/revision patient (again)....i totally agree with what EVERYONE has said. There are so many things to consider - as a therapist, my first priority with my patients is always their safety (especially with regard to bed mobility, functional transfers - in/out of bed, in/out of tub, on/off toilet, etc) - can they get up and down/in and out safely? The other things to consider are your home environment. Do you live alone? Do you have family support or other social supports to do things like light meal prep, light house keeping, etc? Do you have stairs (or even several flights of stairs as some older home in my area do) and can you go up and down them safely and with enough endurance? And from a medical standpoint, although hospital aquired infections are out there (and quite common especially in the acute care hospital setting, where you would have your surgery), subacute acquired infections are not something that i personally have seen alot of - and in the very few cases that i have seen them, the patients were admitted with "something starting" either from a surgical site or staples as is the case with total hip and total knee patients. Can you get one at a rehab facility? Absolutely. But you are most susceptible and more likely to get one (if you get one) while your in the acute care setting...just my two cents on that from experience. I am debating the same issue - but i will have my parents and husband here to help out with the kids and laundry and meals - so i'm leaning more towards in-home visiting PT/OT vs inpatient rehab...but like others have said, you (and I) will just have to see how things are after surgery. I wish you the best!!
                        1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
                        Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
                        Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
                        Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
                        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
                        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
                        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
                        www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

My insurance will pay for me to go to rehab but will not pay for rehab to come to my house. So check with your insurance company
                          Melissa

Comment

rehab thoughts

Thanks for all the input. I guess alot depends on how a patient is doing at the end of their hospital stay. My surgeon said I'd be in the hospital 7 - 10 days. I'll check with insurance about rehab, and I guess the doc will decide at the time. My husband will push me to get up and walk, and he's a great cook, so I won't go hungry.
                            Betsy age 55
                            Atlanta
                            Milwaukee brace 1966-1972
                            Surgery April 17, 2012
                            fuse T4-sacrum & osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by BetsyK View Post
                              Sometime after my surgery, a few weeks, I think, I was transferred to the rehab facility in the hospital where I was a patient. I stayed there about two weeks. My transfer there was delayed because I contracted MRSA after surgery.

Anyway, after leaving the rehab section, I was sent home. Rehab came to me for a few weeks, then I went to outpatient rehab about 2 or 3 times per week for several months.

Does rehab help? YES!!!! After having such a traumatic surgery, one needs to learn how to do many things a new way and rehab helps strengthen the body. Don't skip rehab!

My surgery was a decade ago and things may have changed since then. I needed rehab because I was seriously weakened by the infection.

Even with rehab, my legs are considerably weaker than they were before scoliosis surgery.
                              Last edited by sidrid; 10-28-2011, 02:23 AM.
                              Sid Rid
                              (female)

Age 52
                              Surgery May, 2002
                              T4-S1
                              MRSA staph infection

Comment

Working...
                              X