Back to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to school

Just wanted to hear how everyone did when returning to school for the first time today. Are all the other Moms as nervous as I am today? I think I am more nervous about Jamie going to school today than I was when she went to kindergarten for the first time!

Mary Lou

hi marylou
    i just drove nicole to school and yes i am very nervous!! Definitely more nervous than she was i think. I am picking her up at 12 o'clock so she will have a half day and be there for aliitle over 4 hours. She wouldn't even take some tylenol before going. I'll post later and let you know how it goes and i'm curious to hear how everyone else's day goes.

Comment

back at school!

Hello Jen and Mary Lou!
      Jamie went back to school today; I know your two did too! It went great, her and I went swimming for about an hour, then the van brought her home, right after lunch. A little more attention for Jamie than she'd have liked, it's a very small school, there's only 50 kids in her grade. But it went beautifully, the kids, the teachers; all were happy to see her. And I was thrilled . . . she's back! Let me know how yours did. So exciting! Hard to believe how far they've all come! Amazing children!

Comment

Yes, more nervous then when I "sent her off to kindergarten!"

Comment

Nicole's day at school went very well. She said it didn't bother her sitting in the desk, which i thought maybe it would. I picked her up at 12 although i think she would have been fine going till the end of the day. I will let her do half days for the rest of the week and then next week she will go all day.
          It just amazes me how well they are all doing after this surgery! I still can't believe how quick everything is going. I have to admit having her home for 2 months i was a little sad with her going to school this morning i got so used to having her home, but i got over it quick once everyone was gone and the house was quite and i had a nice cup of coffee. LOL.
          well keep me updated on how everyone is doing
          jennifer

Comment

I am glad to hear that everyone days went well. That is great news!
            ~*Lauren*~
            Braced for 5 months
            Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
            Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
            Surgery on April 26th 2005
            Fused from T3-L4
            Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

I'm glad to hear all went well for our girls today. Jamie had a good day but is very tired. Her math teacher was a little bit upset that she didn't have all of her assignments done. I've told her not to worry about it. We feel as long as she has everything turned in before Jan. 21st. the end of the marking period, she should be fine and not receive any incompletes.

Mary Lou

Comment

question for Mary Lou

Hi Mary Lou

I just noticed your signature info. I also have a daughter, age 11, her name's Ali, not Tracey! And she also has scoli, but right now the #'s are very low. Where's your Tracey stand with scoli? I'm just wondering how usual/unusual to have two sisters with scoli, with no family history at all. Thanks!

Pat

Comment

Whoops, sorry Tracy, not Tracey!

Comment

Hi Pat.

Maybe we need to start comparing more notes about our families...seems we have several things in common. Just curious, what's Jamie's middle name? My Jamie is Jamie Lynn.

At this point Tracy doesn't have any Scoliosis that we are aware of, thankfully. Our family doctor watches her very closely. Like you, we don't have any family history of Scoliosis. From what I've read, it is not all that uncommon for two or more children in the same family to have Scoliosis. May I ask what you mean by low numbers for Ali? What degree was Jamie's numbers at diagnosis? Also, do you take Ali to Jamie's orthopedic doctor or to your family doctor/pediatrician? I sometimes think I should make an appointment with the ortho. for Tracy just to be sure.

Mary Lou

Comment

I had my surgery 8 years ago, but no.. there was no family history of scoliosis. But, 4 years prior to my surgery I was checked for scoliosis & they found nothing.. only a few months after I was checked, I got hit by a Nissan Pathfinder. I broke my leg, cracked a rib, shattered my right ankel. my right foot had 27 breaks.. Including the growth plate was cracked in half, which is located in your ankel.. My Acheles tendon was pinched into the joint aswell.. Anyway.. I was in a cast for almost a year..
                      My surgeon thinks this could possibly be what induced my scoliosis & the reason it was progressing so fast...

Within 4 years my spine went from no curvature to, 63 & 69 degrees, and was progressing by nearly 1 degree per week by the time I had the surgery..

Comment

siblings & scoli

Hi Mary Lou!

lol, Jamie's middle name is Pauline, named after her paternal grandmother.

Ali's number, as of last September were 12, but she goes again tommorrow (along w/Jamie for her (almost) three month post-op). I'm anxious to see if her #/#'s have changed. I hope NOT! Jamie's #'s were fairly low on first diagnosis, but within 6 months they practically tripled, which brought her right up to the surgery #'s. She had a big growth spurt over the summer.

I do take Ali to see Jamie's ortho, because I was the one who noticed Jamie's scoliosis, and again Ali's. And I know how quick those #'s can rise.

But I can clearly see a rise on one side of Ali's back, . . . you look at Tracy's back and do you see anything . . . . ?

Thanks!
                        Pat P.S. My father almost named ME Lynn! But my mother prevailed!

Comment

Pat,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who looks at her other daughter's back. lol I just have this horrible feeling in my gut that she will follow in Jamie's footsteps. I do not see any rise on Tracy's back and I pray that I won't.

How old was Jamie when she was diagnosed? My Jamie was 12 y.o. and Tracy will be 12 in April, so you know I'm worrying about that already.

Would you consider putting Ali in a brace or would you just go for surgery? I know the struggle we had with Jamie and her braces, we tried two different types, and although I wouldn't ever want anyone to go through surgery, I'm not so sure I could do the brace thing again.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou
                            MY Jamie was diagnosed at 11, wore the night brace for a year, then had surgery.

Jamie was only ever in a night brace, at her doctor's direction, because so often he felt that it was a compliance thing, with the all day brace they just weren't wearing it as much. And I told Jamie I would never put her in an all day brace, so she knew if the night brace didn't work it was surgery. And her doctor agreed. I'd do the same w/Ali; the all day brace is very very life altering. I've read the good results from wearing it, but it's a tough call. And I won't do it (have them wear a brace all day.) It's a tough age to ask them to wear it, and then surgery anyways. I don't know. Very tough and individual call to make for your child. Very individual.

Ali's #'s are holding at 15 and 11. A wait and see kinda thing. And Jamie's had basically all restrictions taken off her. Yikes! Can I handle this!?

Stay well! pat

Comment

hi pat
                              i agree with you about bracing. It is so hard on them and i give some of these girls i hear about that wear their brace every day 23 hours a day. My nicole was given a brace a few years ago and was told to wear it 23 hours a day everyday. For a child in middle school or high school that is a very tough thing for them to do. She refused to wear it and at first we tried and tried to get her to wear it and finally gave up. The fights were not worth it. She ended up wearing it everynight to sleep and it didn't work anyway and she ended up having surgery. I have 2 other children; one is 10 so far no scoliosis but he is a boy and if boys do get it they say they usually get it later than girls and my little one is 7 and so far is fine. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I do not want to have to go through any of this again whether it be dealing with a brace or the surgery.
                              Also i have a question Jamie just had her surgery and what do you mean the dr. lifted all restrictions??
                              Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                              X