Cut my hair, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut my hair, or not?

Okay, my hair is halfway down my back...do I cut it shorter before surgery, or just ponytail it to keep it out of my way?
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

I had long hair during my July surgery and regretted it very much. I got my hair as soon as I could. I would cut it if I were you
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I liked having my hair long so I could tie it back out of my face after surgery.
      54 years
      Posterior surgery 11/16/10 T3 to L4
      Kaiser Sacramento. Dr Mermer

Comment

I had hair about your length and I cut it to shoulder length prior to surgery. It was shorter, but still long enough to tie back. It worked out well.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I always have shorter hair, and I did have it cut before the surgery. You wanna know the truth? The first week when you are in the hospital, you REALLY don't care about your hair, teeth, etc. If your hair is a length to keep in a pony tail without it getting out, I'd think that'd be a perfect length.

Now, I will give one caveat to my statement about you won't care about hair, teeth, etc., in that apparently I was lacking needed blood the first few days, (they gave me one transfusion day after surgery and another two days later)...so that may be why I felt like that in the hospital.

Did others feel like that in the hospital...or was it just me and my lack of blood?
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

I had long hair for my surgery in July as well and also regretted it very much. It constantly got in my face and I could barely move to get it out of my way. I should have braided it or something first. It got so tangled up, ugh! Then after surgery I was afraid to get it cut since I couldn't lean back into that bowl at the salon where they wash your hair. Finally went last week.
            I reccommend either cutting it or pull it back in a way where it will stay while you are in bed those first few days. I couldn't wash my hair for a week or so and I honestly did not care one bit.
            50 years old!!!!!
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
            Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
            Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
            Surgery 07/11/2011
            Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

i have alway had short hair cuts. my hair grows fast so i have to get it cut every few weeks. I had my hair cut about to weeks before my surgery
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Please understand, I was not concerned about appearances whatsoever. But my hair drives me crazy sometimes getting caught under my shoulders or back when I am in bed, or it is in my face, and I thought if I cut it as short as I could while still being able to pony tail it, that would be better.

Thanks, you ladies answered my question. Good bye, three or four inches.
                Stephanie, age 56
                Diagnosed age 8
                Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.

Comment

I got my son's hair totally buzzed off before his surgery and it was so easy to care for but I'm sure that would not be flattering to you or most any other woman, heh. I think if it were me, I'd cut a bit of length off, and perhaps take some of the bulk out by thinning it if your hair is thick like mine. I did that just before my daughter's graduation in June and I couldn't believe how much easier it was to deal with; it's not nearly as heavy and hard to manage as it once was. Also, for stay in the hospital and after, you could do two French braids so they will hang down the sides of your head instead of having one bumpy braid at the back.
                  Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                  Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                  Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                  http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                    I always have shorter hair, and I did have it cut before the surgery. You wanna know the truth? The first week when you are in the hospital, you REALLY don't care about your hair, teeth, etc. If your hair is a length to keep in a pony tail without it getting out, I'd think that'd be a perfect length.

Now, I will give one caveat to my statement about you won't care about hair, teeth, etc., in that apparently I was lacking needed blood the first few days, (they gave me one transfusion day after surgery and another two days later)...so that may be why I felt like that in the hospital.

Did others feel like that in the hospital...or was it just me and my lack of blood?
                    I was the same way, dj... so you're not alone. I think it was about the 4th or 5th day that a nurse said very kindly "honey, you might want to consider brushing your teeth today." It had never crossed my mind... Of course, I had an ileus and hadn't eaten anything either. As for my hair-- pshaw... if anyone looks at "my pics" (signature) in the hospital, until right up to the very end, you can tell I didn't give a hoot. (oh my!)

About hair length. I always had hair clear down to my derriere until a few years before my surgery, then whacked it all off very short. I felt so glad that I had when I had my surgery... I couldn't dream of the nightmare it would have been to wash and care for long hair in the post-op period-- not to mention getting tangled up in it at night, etc. My short "do" was perfect for me.
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I mostly have had short hair my entire life and had it cut just before my surgery. The only trouble with short hair in the hospital is that it pushes up in back from the pillow, as one nurse called it "hospital hair". HaHa Anyway, it was easy to wash and care for after I came home.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I had shoulder length hair before my surgery but cut it rather short before going into the hospital. I didn't regret it because I didn't have to worry about my hair during my stay. I should add my hair grows very fast and was down to my shoulders again by the time I completed my rehab a few months later.

I think it's personal preference. It was no big deal for me to chop off my hair.
                        Sid Rid
                        (female)

Age 52
                        Surgery May, 2002
                        T4-S1
                        MRSA staph infection

Comment

Coloring Hair

How about coloring hair? How does that work? Is it still comfortable to get your hair colored four weeks later?
                          Lisa
                          60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
                          58 years old

Comment

coloring hair

At four weeks post op I did a cut and color. As I am friends with everyone at my salon, they knew of my limitations. I would get up and "do a lap" around the salon at frequent intervals as sitting for any period of time was a challenge. My washout was abbreviated but doable. I hope this helps.
                            Soon I will post more with regards to my recovery thus far.

Nan -53 y/o
                            T10-L5 fusion with instrumentation-July 12, 2011
                            Posterior with BMP
                            55 lumbar curve
                            Dr. Michael Daubs
                            University of Utah

Comment

I have known my hair colorist/stylist for so long that she told me she will come to my house to do my roots, or whatever it takes. I figure having roots showing is not going to be good for morale.
                              Stephanie, age 56
                              Diagnosed age 8

Comment

Working...
                              X