Exhaustion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
    You sound like an amazing teacher Susie, wish my kids had gotten you when they were little. They had a few fun teachers but I recall most of them either being boring or crabby. And yes, your husband does sound like a real winner and I looked through your pics in your sig and that laundry setup is beautiful. I have a similar washer/dryer but it's in a hallway which is crowded and has no folding area so all the clean laundry gets tossed onto my bed, bleh.
    Thanks, Elisa... We do have fun, but as in all schools, there are also challenges. (wink...) It was so nice when my husband made that new laundry room, so the washer and dryer would be at "my level" and made life sooo much easier. Of course, then it made it easier for him, too! It's a nice set up. I can't imagine folding laundry on the bed. I hope you're not bending over... I need to put some new pics on sometime, because I've lost a lot of weight (over 50 lbs.) I had gained some after surgery, but during the last 2 years worked really hard and am about 126ish now. I never thought I'd wear a size 6 pants. It's like crazy exciting to me.

Ed-- I discovered the trick after all these years of fighting my low metabolism. Give in. It's never going to change, and even more so now that I've gotten older. I just can't let myself eat much. I'm not a normal person. So I eat like a tiny person. It's apparently enough. I know tiny persons that eat like big persons and are skinny as rails, and I know it's not fair, but that's life. After awhile you get used to it. I eat healthy food, with a little splurge every now and then. All my lab work is fine, blood pressure is great, I'm not starving, my body says it's fine. and I feel healthy. (Well, except for the dumb problems I have like arthritis, etc. that come with my age.) I've held steady at this weight for 7 or 8 months, so I think I've got it down pretty good. (Fingers crossed...)

BTW- my family doctor had said (in the past about my weight) not to worry, some people are just that way, no big deal, people like me would have been the survivors back in cave man days... little food keeps you going a long ways and you store it well... my neurologist, on the other hand, said I needed to lose weight, we set goals, and I went to work at it and met them. It's hard work, no matter how you do it. I've done it many times in my life, usually following Weight Watchers. Now I look so much better and feel it too. And all that extra weight is off my back and hips and knees, etc. Yay!

So it just depends on how you view it-- enjoy life and the culinary joys, or pay the price of the extra weight. I think it's a toss up myself. But I am enjoying the new me. Take care.
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 10-22-2011, 03:21 PM.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations Susie Bee. I have an idea of the effort you've gone to because a friend of mine lost 30 kilos on Weight Watchers over the last 8 months. She too, is loving her new weight, feels the best she's felt in years but knows it's a life-long thing but in fact, is enjoying the new eating plan. She's become very organised, plans ahead etc. and other aspects of her life have also become organised along the way. She's very happy and you sound very happy too. A great effort!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
        Congratulations Susie Bee. I have an idea of the effort you've gone to because a friend of mine lost 30 kilos on Weight Watchers over the last 8 months. She too, is loving her new weight, feels the best she's felt in years but knows it's a life-long thing but in fact, is enjoying the new eating plan. She's become very organised, plans ahead etc. and other aspects of her life have also become organised along the way. She's very happy and you sound very happy too. A great effort!
        Thanks, Jennifer. And I just posted some new pics if anyone's interested, including when the 2nd graders spiked my hair. Even though it didn't turn out the greatest. They had fun.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
          Thanks, Jennifer. And I just posted some new pics if anyone's interested, including when the 2nd graders spiked my hair. Even though it didn't turn out the greatest. They had fun.
          LOVE the hair pix! Your students will remember that day forever! :-)
          You look fabulous, Dahling, with your new physique!

Warmly,
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fun pix, Susie! Those are some mighty cute grand babies too!
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Susie,

first of all you look great, even in the spiked hair! Those kids must love you to death!

And I can't believe those babies are over one year old already! They are absolutely adorable.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks for all the nice comments. They did have a lot of fun doing my hair... and Debbei, would you believe my grandsons will soon be 2 1/2??? Time flies so quickly! I get to see Abraham this weekend, so that will be fun.

I'm afraid I've REALLY hi-jacked this thread, so back to topic-- I can't say enough times how my energy level and strength have improved with each passing year since my surgery... I still tire out after putting in a highly active day, but then again, I'm older and have my ups and downs (literally). I enjoy my life to the fullest and am SO GLAD I had my surgery. I am not going to say I can do everything I once could do-- I have limitations, but I can usually get around them in some way. I can lift my grandboys up, but straight up (close to my body), and not hold them for very long-- they are in the 25+ lb. range now. But they can always climb up on my lap. (big smile) I was not able to do a lot of things before my surgery either-- lifting things made my back hurt too much, so I really didn't lose any ground that way. In fact I know I gained some.

Again, I was exhausted for quite awhile after my surgery... it just takes some of us a long time to recover. In fact, it was either Karen or Linda that once said 1-3 years, and I would agree with that. I think it took me 3 years, and I think I am still getting better and better. I was a turtle, some are hares. It doesn't matter as long as we run the race and recover. Take care, everyone.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie Post-op Sounds like me, now!

Hi al! I was reading these posts out loud, to my husband - and when I read Susie's description of her day - come home from work, take a nap, maybe make dinner but hubby does dishes-- my husband said "that sounds like you now!" :-) Yes, chronic pain is exhausting too. I'm trying to prepare for the neck surgery, next month, I still get jitters but I must move forward, my spine is not getting better. so... I don't know how soon I will return to work, but I do want to get back in 4 - 6 weeks ( being fused C3- C7 w/laminectomies). I'm actually looking into disability, but just for the knowledge right now, I need to work, I need the paycheck, but I fear how mobile I will be after the scoli surgery. (T2-L4) . I'm just looking into partial disability - during my recovery period.

Susie, I do admire that washer & Dryer set up! I've told my husband we need to buy those storage stands, to raise the machines higher.

Now Kelly- Congrats on returning to work at 2 1/2 month post op! I also plan (hope) to return to 4 hrs a day, I'm planning that for January, after my neck surgery. I agree, you have to force yourself to get back to work, but my hardest "job" is my ADLs (activities of daily living) I hate washing my hair, I hate drying my hair, I hate ironing, I hate getting dressed.... it all causes pain. Now I could stand in the HOT hot hot shower for hours, it's trying to make myself look presentable that I hate. not makeup or hair do-- just looking clean and professional, I'm at my most comfortable in loose sweatpants and a T shirt or nightgown.... not too good for work tho' Go Figure!

ciao for now, Jamie in Texas
                  57 years old.
                  thoracic curve 68 degrees
                  lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                  Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                  Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                  THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                    Thanks, Elisa... We do have fun, but as in all schools, there are also challenges. (wink...) It was so nice when my husband made that new laundry room, so the washer and dryer would be at "my level" and made life sooo much easier. Of course, then it made it easier for him, too! It's a nice set up. I can't imagine folding laundry on the bed. I hope you're not bending over... I need to put some new pics on sometime, because I've lost a lot of weight (over 50 lbs.) I had gained some after surgery, but during the last 2 years worked really hard and am about 126ish now. I never thought I'd wear a size 6 pants. It's like crazy exciting to me.
                    My bed is quite high up so I'm not bending when folding the clothes. That said, the clean clothes often get tossed from the dryer onto the bedroom if I haven't made the bed and then they get tossed onto the bed and put back into baskets on the floor. It's not the best setup for sure and I wish it were better but I don't know what else to do b/c the washer/dryer is in the hallway and there's absolutely nowhere to have a folding table. :/

Today's laundry...
                    Attached Files
                    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Kelly--
                      I can't even begin to imagine returning to work at 2 1/2 months! That makes me cringe just thinking of where I was at that time. I think I'm a lot more like Sally the Turtle. Sally, very slow, slow steps forward. I can relate to how you have to pick up the grandbaby. Just back from a 2 week vacation with family and 2 little ones and I can lift the almost one year old, but mostly depend on the 2 1/2 year old climbing on my lap for stories, etc. I found though I could lie on my stomach at the pool (on lounge chair) a bit more easily than last March. Little improvements still come. From a turtle--but this turtle hasn't lost weight like Sally. That is awesome!! Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Elisa,

The deer on top of the laundry is very endearing :-).

I have been researching fold down tables that look like a cabinet on the wall and you open the cabinet, push down the table to use for folding. Will be needing one myself when we get the new washer/dryer that are front loading and sitting on pedistals (sp?). We have to wait a month for them as the sale made them very popular and I just KNOW my old set will plan on making a very dramatic demise one week before the new set arrives. Murphy's law lives on.

Have my two month post surgery exam on Friday. I may mention some of the tiredness I feel.
                        Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                        Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                        Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                        Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                        The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                        Before and after xrays:
                        http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                          Elisa,

The deer on top of the laundry is very endearing :-).
                          Bambi would have been even more "endearing" if my daughter hadn't ripped off his eyelashes when she was two. :-(
                          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I thought your folded laundry looked really sweet too, with the stuffed animals on top.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Anemia?

I came here today to ask about exhaustion. I'm working 2 mornings a week teaching ESL at a local university. I'm 4.5 months postoperative. I've been really tired the last two weeks again, after a relatively perky period. I'm sure that is partly because I'm exercising more and have had lots of family visitorss,but my PT suggested that I should get checked for anemia just so I don't overlook it on the off chance that I might have it. So I'm getting checked next week.
                              Diagnosed at age 13
                              Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
                              Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
                              Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
                              Post surgery 26 degrees
                              Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X